Peripherals forum

General discussion

want to use computer in another room

by babu357 / November 22, 2010 8:06 AM PST

I would like to be able to keep the PC in my bedroom, but be able to use it in my living room by using another monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse. So I was looking for a longer monitor cable, about 50ft.
Right now I have it connected with the monitor cable that came with a Dell monitor. I guess your standard monitor cable.
So I just want to buy a longer version of that..Will any 50ft VGA cable do?
It's just a regular Dell Monitor. And my computer info is below,just in case you need it.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor (2 CPUs),

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: want to use computer in another room
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: want to use computer in another room
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suspect you'll be disappointed if you try that
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2010 8:51 AM PST

That's quite a distance. You'll need some expensive cable to get that distance without suffering quality. As well, your wireless keyboard and mouse may not work at all depending on what sort of physical obstructions are in the signal path. You didn't say whether the keyboard and mouse you have now are PS2 of USB. Since you'd be running 50 feet of video cable, you might as well go that route if you have PS2. It's going to be awkward and cheap video cables will give you fuzzy images and poor color. You'll need one that's well shielded and high quality.

Collapse -
Well it's not that far...
by babu357 / November 22, 2010 3:44 PM PST

It's actually not 50 ft away. I measured 25 ft but I needed a little extra cause it has has to go under the house and I thought the cables only came in 25 and 50 ft.
I found now they come in other lengths so I'd probably go about 30ft to 35 ft being that I want extra to go under the house. If the graphics would improve with a smaller cable, like 25 ft. I might be able to make that happen. I really don't need a perfect picture since I mostly work in my room. This is just for when I get tired of being in my room.
You said I'll need one that's well shielded and high quality. I Guess that's what I was asking about. What kind of cable exactly would you get then. For about a 30 ft cable. I mean I know you said high quality but how do you know what's high quality. You said shielded there anything else I should look for?

I think the Wireless keyboard and mouse might be okay since the place I want to have the monitor is in a direct route from my room. In fact I can see it as I'm typing right now. I figure I could keep the signal near the bedroom door and keep it open when I use the computer in the other room..You'd have to see a diagram to know what I was talking about, but I found a wireless not that expensive that signal goes for 30ft, and I wanted to get a wirelss keyboard and mouse for my room anyway. So I might try that first.
I have a USB mouse and Keyboard right now. I was thinking of the possibility of getting extended wires for that . Why do you say to go that route if I have a PS2 connection? Is it not possible to extend a USB connection..or is it too pricey?
thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Sounds pricey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 8:58 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks but ..
by babu357 / November 22, 2010 3:59 PM PST
In reply to: Sounds pricey.

I've looked at these and most of them are pretty expensive. The cheapest one I found was over three hundred dollars. The reason I thought of the VGA cable was that I thought I could pay less for that. But the KVM Extenders I've found so far have been a three hundred dollars at least. Do you know of any for less?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: thanks but ..

After decades of such queries and trying cables I think the answer is what you see here. Imagine the (poorer) person who tries cables only to (re)discover the issues of long video cables.

Just trying to head off the losses.

Collapse -
(NT) Hmmm
by babu357 / November 23, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.
Collapse -
(NT) So
by babu357 / November 23, 2010 7:48 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Sorr
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry
Collapse -
Thanks for the advice-sorry aout the all of the replies
by babu357 / November 23, 2010 7:59 AM PST

I'll try one last time..sorry for all the replies but every time time I start to type a subject it submits my posts. So I'm writing my post first this time.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not sure.. if I were going to pay that much I might just get another computer and share files between the two. I guess it's a good idea though. I'll have to read more about it.
I still might try the cable thing. they have one for about twenty bucks and it's got people saying how great it worked for them in the reviews..I know your shaking your head. LOL But I don't think I'll be satisfied until I try it, for that price I've got to least least try..then I'll be telling other people not to do it.LOL
thanks again.. and sorry about all those non posts. (now I'll tpye my subject;)

Collapse -
Maybe we need to look at what we want to achieve?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 9:02 AM PST

For example some just want to play a video on their HDTV. There are small 99 buck boxes that do that (Boxee, AppleTV, Roku to get you looking.)

Collapse -
Not looking for videos but...
by babu357 / November 23, 2010 1:02 PM PST

Mostly I work with images. I do a lot of artwork and create things with 3d programs.
The thing is I'm just looking to get out of the room once in a while without having to spend a lot of monsey on equipment or a new computer.
Also, if I get another computer I'll have to share files which isn't always easy with the amount of files I have, and the amount of changes I make to them in one day.
So even if I could go into the other room to do some grunt put things in order, sort through files.. When you work with lot of images and files on your computer it gets overwhelming. Whenever I work on an image I'm making changes to it and saving the old ones so it's necessary to constantly clean things up. Or if I need to do some research on the web, stuff like that.
So even if I could just save that stuff for outside of my room, at least I would be able to work in another place for a while.
I'm not looking to play games or anything like that. I'm not really looking to watch videos of course I wouldn't mind that but it's not my main focus. I looked up those names you mentioned. I wasn't looking for that really but that's pretty cool and not too expensive.;)

Collapse -
It works for me!
by babu357 / January 23, 2011 7:24 AM PST

In case anyone is reading this looking for help I just wanted to add that I went ahead and bought the RiteAV - SVGA Monitor Cable - 35 Ft. and it works perfectly.
I am sitting in my living room I write this and my PC is in another room.
Only a few things to think of before trying this.

I already had speakers that reach this room so I bought the cable without might need the one with the audio..if you're monitor accepts it.

You need either a USB extender or USB 2.0 Hub
for your mouse and keyboard.
Or I already had a wireless keyboard and mouse that works up to 30- ft away and I just happen to have a clear path from my computer room to my Living room where the monitor is set up So I set my PC near the door and so for the most part it works great..Sometimes the keyboard gets a little slow..SO I'm thinking of buying usb extension cable for that.But the mouse works fine.

Also this VGA cable I linked to above, only comes in Male to male..meaning you have to have a monitor that has a detachable cable so that you can directly plug it into the back. Other wise you need a VGA coupler..which is not much at Amazon:
Anyway, I was able to get my monitor to work in another room and i'm happy with the results. The cost was 13.95 for the cable and I had the wireless set and speakers already. I might get the USB extention cable for the keyboard as it tends to annoy me sometimes. SO that might add another 20 bucks or so but it's worth it for me.;)
Side note- I also got an extra long HDMI cable -,
and ran that from my computer room to the room next to it where I watch tv. So I can now watch Netflix (or use the computer ) in my bedroom as well. What's good about that is It's a new HD TV and the sound comes through the speakers so didn't have to worry about that.
So I was lucky with the cables I bought. I looked at the reviews from people before I bought to make sure it was what I was looking for and what the opinions who actually bought those cables were.
MY only complaint is the keyboard which annoys me sometimes but I mostly work with photos so It's not a deal-breaker for me. Plus I'll try better batteries or a USB extender before I give up on that.;)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.