Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Want to replace internal hard drive with a new, larger one

by sdavis28 / April 3, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620. Specs: Intel Pentium D, 2x80GB SATA II, 2GB DDR2, WinXP Pro (w/ SP3)

I want to replace the current hard drive with a 2TB hard drive. From what I've read, WinXP will support this. Would you recommend upgrading the ram as well? Is there anything else I need to do/get or a hard drive you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

sdavis28 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to replace internal hard drive with a new, larger one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to replace internal hard drive with a new, larger one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There's trouble with XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

Yes I read you have XP with SP3 but until we know what the original XP was when it was installed, you have to assume it has the 127GB limit on the boot drive.

Why not add your 2TB drive and use that as the data drive?
Bob

Collapse -
Newbie here.
by sdavis28 / April 4, 2013 2:25 AM PDT

How do I find out what the original XP is? What would be the benefit to adding the 2TB drive to use as a data drive? There is nothing needed on the current hard drive, which is why they plan was to just replace it all together.

Collapse -
To find out the original
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Newbie here.

I look at the XP install CD.

As to your question about the data drive, the benefit is you don't have to figure out the original OS issue or question. It becomes a big drive you can use. Also, if you move to a new PC, you just take it with you along with your backup copy.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sdavis28

Collapse -
Check and verify
by Willy / April 3, 2013 1:59 PM PDT

I urge you to get the 2Tb in kit form, that way you get everything that can help install the new HD to include cloning or transferring data from old to new HD. Dell support usually provides details on any upgrades to include the HD, so review that. In general, if you have a 200Gb or larger currently installed, going to 2Tb shouldn't be a problem.

Alas, whatever HD you buy, you can beforehand of any XP issues by visiting the support website. Once there to see what if any issues may arise. IMHO, you'll be pushing it under XP having a 2Tb, though. I also suggest you bios update the Dell GX620, do that before you install and it's up and running OK. It's important because if you lag too far behind, it may address HD issues, if you have a A03 status, going to A06, etc. is a must or to the latest, and read the instructions, don't rush this.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Looking for some clarification..
by sdavis28 / April 4, 2013 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Check and verify

As for getting it in kit form, if I don't need anything off of the old hard drive, would getting the hard drive in kit form still be recommended? Bios is currently at A07 and from what I have read can be updated to A11, which I can and will do before installing new hard drive. An external hard drive would not suit my purposes, which is why I am trying to figure out if I can upgrade my current system enough or if I am going to have to buy a new one. You said "if you have a 200GB or larger currently installed that going to a 2TB shouldn't be a problem", however, this computer does not have a 200GB hard drive to start with. Thanks for all your help/advice.

Collapse -
In a nutshell...
by Willy / April 4, 2013 4:55 PM PDT

The kit should provide useful s/w for ease of install and/or ultilies to proceed forward providing some ready default setup or parameters to select from, rather than finding out on your own. Minor h/w and cable should also be included, plus maybe printed "quick start" material. If you haven't done this or familiar with adding h/w, etc., it pays for itself and added cost is low. While you can get s/w and cable elsewhere, it already there as a kit. Of course that's up to you.

As always proving details of what you have and current setup allows us to better answer your question. The banter just to get the basics becomes a task unto itself, so it helps to do so up front, what you can provide. We have no clue otherwise. If your PC fits the general description I provided, it would have been "a go". However, you didn't offer if you visited the websites I suggested, which many HD makers provide to countless new buyers which on top of anything here is added knowledge. So what size HD do you have? The reason, I offered 200Gb because its bigger than 120Gb and would have addressed the issue of 127Gb OS limits and needn't worry, as the fix is already present. The max. addressable limit patch would have been part of XP later SP's, but XP can sometimes be difficult. Do the Dell bios update so the bios becomes ready and isn't a issue. Under the bios setting, verify that "LBA" is enabled to address big drives(probably is). Also being a Dell PC, which GX620 model is it, there is at least three(3) versions of that model which also relates to the upgrade can be handled. These vary in one way or another besides size.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/optiplex-gx620

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you
by sdavis28 / April 4, 2013 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: In a nutshell...

Thank you for explaining everything and providing further resources, which I will be investigating this weekend. I will be getting started on this project next week. Just for the record though, I did provide the size of my current hard drive in my original post "2x80GB SATA II" Happy

Collapse -
Yes you did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

But were these singles, RAID and which RAID? That's why there's a little ambiguity but it really doesn't matter as whenever anyone asks about XP and drives over the 127GB size, the question should be broached.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.