TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Want to play music files from computer on home stereo.

by mdg12345 / October 24, 2009 8:00 AM PDT

I have an old receiver and speakers that get the job done for playing CD's or DVD's. BUT, I want to stream music from my computer (in another room) to it and maybe elsewhere in the house. Thinking about something like Bose Soundlink. Is there a better solution? Are there receivers that will hold files on them?

Basically, I want to be able to hear music from my computer in another room.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to play music files from computer on home stereo.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to play music files from computer on home stereo.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apple Airport Express
by minimalist / October 24, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

If you use iTunes and already have a wireless network these mini routers will stream music easily from a computer with iTunes running. If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone you can download a free app that will let you control the whole setup wirelessly.

Collapse -
iTunes & streaming music
by Dan Filice / October 24, 2009 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple Airport Express

I use iTunes and I have it connected to my receiver with an Airport Express. It works brilliantly. I also have an iPod Touch with the free app you speak of (I think it's just called Remote or iTunes Remote), and that also works brilliantly. I have a 2 zone Yamaha receiver in the TV room that receives iTunes wirelessly, then I have wires that go from the Yamaha to the backyard where I have a second small receiver and it can receive iTunes too. With the iPod Touch, I use the app to control iTunes and it allows me to see the entire music library and all of the playlists. The only issue I have is with the Airport Express. I use an AT&T 2Wire wireless modem so I can use my iPod, but I can't get the Airport Express to join the 2Wire modem. The workaround is that on the Mac, I can choose "Location", and that allows me to either use the 2Wire or the Airport Express, but I can't use both simultaneously. No big thing. It just means that if I am using iTunes wirelessly on my Mac, I can't use the Internet on my iMac, which uses the hard-wired 2Wire modem. But, the iPod Touch can still access the Internet wirelessly, which is a good substitute.

Collapse -
Apple's default IP address range (10.x.x.x) is different
by minimalist / October 25, 2009 2:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Airport Express
by mdg12345 / October 26, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

Airport Express seems like a perfect solution. How does Airport Express connect to your receiver? What type of input is needed on the back of the receiver? Would it work on an older receiver?

Collapse -
Maybe not
by mdg12345 / October 26, 2009 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Airport Express

Actually, I just realized that this only allows streaming of iTunes and not AOL radio, etc. Is there another device that does that?

Collapse -
iTunes has radio streams too. I think
by minimalist / October 26, 2009 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe not

you can even copy and paste the stream URL if its not already listed.

Collapse -
And if you absolutely can;t get the radio station
by minimalist / October 26, 2009 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe not

you want via iTunes, there is a 25 dollar shareware app called AirFoil which lets you stream any audio you like to Airport Expresses (including Pandora, Last FM etc). There is a free trial:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Collapse -
Airport Express will connect to any wifi network
by minimalist / October 26, 2009 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Airport Express

and has a variable line out audio jack (3.5mm stereo headphone). All you need is a 10 dollar mini headphone to RCA cable converter to plug it into the red and white RCA style audio inputs of any audio receiver made in the last 35 years.

If you want the airport express to extend your network (for two way traffic in stead of just one way audio streams) it really does work best in conjunction with another airport express (or airport extreme) acting as the router. But I'd just buy one for the time being and see how you like it.

The free Remote app for the iPhone/iPod Touch really makes it all come together though. It gives you control over all the airport express zones you have set up (you can have up to 10 I believe) as well as album art, song scrubbing, volume, star ratings etc. It like a poor man's Sonos.

Collapse -
Amplifier Question
by GWB2006 / December 5, 2009 1:43 AM PST

I implemented the Airport Express over the wireless network, using the iPhone Remote Ap and now control Itunes, and it works great. My question, I tried the experiment with PC Speakers 9powered) but now want to use big box speaker I bought many years ago and will need an amplifier, can anyone recommend a reasonable amp? An alternative is to buy powered speakers, and any suggestions appreciated, beyond PC speakers.

Collapse -
Stereo amps aren't as plentiful as they used to be.
by minimalist / December 5, 2009 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Amplifier Question
Collapse -
Amps
by GWB2006 / December 6, 2009 2:18 AM PST

Thanks for the link.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.