Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

want to play a single track and then stop

by ted37 / April 22, 2010 3:52 PM PDT

want to play a single track and then stop and not go on to the next track.

When I am teaching a dance, I want to play one track and then stop.

Which players have this mode of operation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: want to play a single track and then stop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: want to play a single track and then stop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Playlist
by Pepe7 / April 23, 2010 4:08 AM PDT

One method is to create a single song playlist in iTunes, or on your iPod of choice to facilitate this. Seems like you could give each appropriate playlist with a single relevant song an intuitive name for your dance classes, a la....

Tango! Merengue! Salsa! Cumbia! Wink

Have fun,
Pedro

Collapse -
playlist changes when tracks are edited
by ted37 / April 23, 2010 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Playlist

A playlist file counts the position of the track. It will be
incorrect if tracks are added or removed.

= = =
One method is to create a single song playlist in iTunes, or on your iPod of choice to facilitate this. Seems like you could give each appropriate playlist with a single relevant song an intuitive name for your dance classes, a la....

Tango! Merengue! Salsa! Cumbia! Wink

Collapse -
Huh?
by make_or_break / April 23, 2010 10:22 PM PDT

What do you mean by 'playlist changes when tracks are edited'? I thought you were only PLAYING the song/track, not editing them.

If I understood your original premise correctly: I'm not aware of any mass-market PMP/DAP portable that has the functionality to play only one song from a list of songs, then stop/pause, requiring the user to manually start the player again in order to play the next song. You might find that sort of functionality on professionally-oriented gear, or DJ-marketed equipment, but I tend to doubt that this sort of functionality exists on any broad-market, consumer device.

Now having said all that, I seem to recall that my Creative Zen X-Fi from a couple of years ago had the capability of allowing me to play one song from an album then stopping, without the need to toss the song into a one-song long playlist. However for the next song the user would have to go back and search through the onboard library of music to select and then play the next song; you could not prearrange a playlist and apply this 'one-and-done' function to work within that playlist. Please keep in mind that I'm operating from my sometimes faulty memory here...this is not a function that I would've used AT ALL when I was using my Zen X-Fi, and it's now hard for me to verify that it even exists on the player now that the battery on the thing is as dead as Michael Jackson and I can't seem to find a USB-to-miniUSB cable to get the stupid thing started.

Collapse -
play a track only once
by ted37 / April 24, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

When a playlist for one song is created, it refers to the location in the database of songs.

If other songs (tracks) are added or if tracks are deleted, that playlist will refer to a different track.

I do not want to create 260 one-track playlists every time I add or remove a track.

Understand?

Collapse -
I get it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: play a track only once

But if nothing does this, would a custom app on some smarter device like a iPhone, iTouch or "other" device be acceptable?
Bob

Collapse -
No I didn't follow your wording...
by make_or_break / April 25, 2010 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: play a track only once

It was not clear whether you were referring to songs being added/deleted from the device...or the playlist. The manner in which you worded your posting it sounded (to me) as if you were suddenly and magically editing songs files.

As for song adds/deletes from the library on the device: generally manufacturers GET IT when a song is removed. That device with a playlist that refers to that song--if not modified--will simply ignore the song when said playlist is being used. That playlist will not refer to a "different" track.

As for your need to find a device that allows for an auto pause after each song: that device may not exist despite how curt you are with me. I can certainly sympathize over the hassle of having to create individual "playlists" for each and every song file you use, but that's something that you might be up against given the actual devices that are currently available. Yet I don't see any point in getting bent out of shape over it either, since it's not up to any of us on what functions are included or not included by the MP3 device maker.

Bob's suggestion is probably going to be the best way of achieving what you need in a portable player, assuming of course such an app exists. If not there, then perhaps there's a app/program available for a laptop/netbook that could fulfill the same role...again, if such an app exists.

Collapse -
sansa clip palylist files are useless
by ted37 / April 26, 2010 2:01 AM PDT

1. connect your sansa clip to your pc

2. make a playlist by right-clicking a track in your music folder and
selecting make playlist.

This creates a playlist that depends upon the numerical position of the track in the music folder.

As soon as you edit the contents of the music folder by adding or deleting other tracks, if the changes are earlier in the alphabet of the track name, the playlist will no longer refer to the correct track.

Collapse -
There Is one!!
by ejs42035 / May 27, 2011 12:37 PM PDT

The SanDisk SDMX1 1024R will do what you want. The repeat function has three region settings: "All" which plays all saved tracks, "Dir" which plays all tracks in the current directory, and "1" which plays only one track. The unit powers itself down within a few seconds of finishing the region. The "Repeat" function must be turned off. If it is on, ther selected region will repeat indefinitely.

Be sure you don't get one with version2 software. (It doesn't have the "1" option for the region)

On the version 2 unit, the letters "v2" follow the "1024R" in the model number written on the back of the unit.

This is a "legacy" model, but they can be found occasionally on EBAY or AMAZON.

Collapse -
One Track Mind
by peteyfrogboy / March 21, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

I know this is an old post, but I had the exact same problem and wasn't able to find a solution either. I solved it myself by writing an app (for iPod/iPhone/iPad) called One Track Mind that plays one song at a time from a playlist. It also allows you to loop a song or start it with a delay so you have time to get back in position before the music starts. Check it out here: http://www.houseofpung.net/otm/

Collapse -
One Track Mind
by ragtag / May 20, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: One Track Mind

Peteyfrogboy, this is exactly what I was looking for. I would like to use it when I host a trivia night at a local bar, but I am not crazy about using my iPhone4. I have an older iPhone3 I'd rather use, but the app is not compatible. Any chance of re-tooling?

Collapse -
Works for me
by Robodude1 / November 18, 2012 2:14 AM PST

I know the post is old but I just discovered it and the app is exactly what I needed. Thank you one track mind!

Collapse -
...wow....
by picklemaestro / December 18, 2012 12:58 PM PST

Yeah... old thread... okay sure... but I have to say... You know that time when you marvel to yourself "I can't believe someone wrote an app that perfectly matches my totally random need"? ... I just had that moment... One track mind rocks!

Collapse -
Creative mp3 players
by ChicagoBlack / April 22, 2012 7:09 AM PDT

They all have the track once play mode.

Collapse -
Do have
by someone3974 / April 22, 2012 12:37 PM PDT

Most of them have the track once play mode,I think.

Collapse -
Another app that works!!!!
by noahsax / December 21, 2012 3:02 AM PST

Finally I found the app on applestore, is free and compatible with my 4 ios yet!! Is called "PlayMyQ". It has another interesting functions, as normalizer and playlist creation from library. Yeah!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.