Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Want to open a new window in IE maximized

by thedupuisr / August 18, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

When ever I open a new internet explorer window from an already maximized IE window, either by clicking a link that opens a new window or by right clicking on a link and specifying open in new window, that window opens in a small window. How can I circumvent this? The icon's properties that opened the original IE window says maximized, so why aren't they all?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to open a new window in IE maximized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to open a new window in IE maximized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Want to open a new window in IE maximized
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2004 5:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Araknis1998 / August 26, 2004 6:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
by baruch / August 26, 2004 10:58 PM PDT

i have the exact same problem, also happens when receive email with webpage link, click, & opens into smaller window. oddly, all my windows USED to be maximized, so contrary to previous solution, IT IS SOMETHING IN WINDOWS. looking for a solution, not 3rd party.

Collapse -
For Baruch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2004 11:44 PM PDT

Tufenuf's solution was noted and doesn't involve third party software.

If you don't read the thread and it's links, then what should the forum be doing for you?

Collapse -
by turtle9 / August 26, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

The next time you get one of the smaller windows, maximize it by clicking on the 'maximize' button on the top-right of the window. Once you have the window maximized, hold down the shift key, then while holding down the shift key, close the window by clicking on the 'close' button on the top-right of the window. Proceed to close all of your other IE windows as well. If all goes well, the next time you get a webpage link it should be maximized.

Collapse -
That worked great!
by joyfulbean / April 1, 2009 12:23 PM PDT

This worked perfectly.

Collapse -
by iamviveksri / May 5, 2009 1:25 AM PDT

sir turtle9- i wish to thank u and since i cudnt do that, i created a cnet account!
you solved my problem!
wow and thanks again
iamviveksri at gmail dot com

Collapse -
by Themisive / May 25, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

Arkanis, I've been looking for a programme like this I've downloaded it, and will let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
by larypcrews / May 24, 2006 11:32 PM PDT

Tufenuf, you are the best!

That problem had been plaguing me for weeks.

Followed your instructions: SOLVED!

Lary Crews
Human Resource Institute
St. Petersburg FL

Collapse -
by Dynochem / August 27, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

OK here's a workaround...

When I clicked on the link in my email to this post, it opened in a half size window.
Manually resize the window to the maximum you can fit on screen (don't use maximise button on top bar).
Then close the window by hitting CTRL + Red X button on blue bar. This makes it remember the manual size of the window.
By the way this is applicable to all open windows in XP, not just IE. Remember...CTRL + Red X button.
When you open that link again it will remember the size.
I don't think it will make ALL IE windows open to that size...but for the ones you click most it's worth doing it 'cos it opens them fully next time you click it.
Sorry not to have a better solution... but this makes exploring a bit less painful!

Collapse -
Re: Want to open a new window in IE maximized - What Worked
by langr / August 27, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

What worked for me, having encountered the same problem (using Windows 2000 SP4):

tufenuf's solution (see link in RProffitt's original reply)

The solutions proposed involving holding down the CTRL key, closing windows, etc. didn't work for me and using a third-party program wasn't "elegant" (although iemaximizer did do the job - who needs another process running?)

Collapse -
Re: Want to open a new window in IE maximized - What Worked
by ridlen / August 27, 2004 9:50 AM PDT

Thanks! The Ctrl + close window work for me on XP SP2. You was also right you got to resize it first, then close.

Collapse -
by cyberwhelk / August 27, 2004 4:46 PM PDT

To aid manual resizing to full screen (not maximised), ensure you only have one IE window open and any other program minimised, then right-click on an empty bit of taskbar and Tile Horizontally (or Vertically!). Close IE by Ctrl + Click on Red X.

You can use the Tile Horizontally/Vertically option for plenty of other programs/windows. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
The REAL answer for making popup windows open right sized
by windowsize / August 31, 2007 1:16 PM PDT

Hi all, I had this problem, and tried EVERY one of these answers - e.g. "maximize the screen, hold ctrl and close, etc.etc."). NOTHING worked!! The problem is with the "RESTORE" button!! If you push the Restore button and the window shrinks DOWN, that is the cause of your problem. There is an easy solution:

1. Click a link to open up the too-small popup window.

2. Maximize the screen (using the maximize button or the stretch arrows-it doesnt matter)

3. Click the "Restore" button which is at the upper right between the Minimize and the red Close button.

4. The window will shrink back down to the smaller than wanted opening size.

5. Maximize the window again (again, with button or manually), close IE, and BINGO! that's it folks, its all fixed!!!

Collapse -
Didn't work
by bryanvking / May 4, 2010 9:11 PM PDT

Sorry - didn't work for me.

Collapse -
Re: Didn't work
by Tufenuf / May 4, 2010 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work
Collapse -
(NT) Program that will work
by charlie41x2 / March 26, 2011 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work
Collapse -
Program that will work
by charlie41x2 / March 26, 2011 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Program that will work

Like most in this forum, I tried at least a dozen ways to try to get the web pages to open in maximized format. Nothing worked. Sometimes it would work once but the second time it was back to a smaller screen.

Then I downloaded AUTOSIZER. A completely, totally free program that took care of the problem. It lives quietly on your desktop and doesn't do anything other than what you program it to do, that is: open websites in maximized or minimized format. You can format it to do either.

Try it. It works.

Collapse -
Open a new window in IE, windowsXP, maximized
by eddiesah / December 28, 2007 8:23 AM PST

Click on tools, internet options, how web pages are displayed in tabs. Remove the check by "Always in a new window". Check "let Internet explorer decide how popups should be displayed".

The new windows will open maximized with tab boxes along the top under the tools bar. Simple click the red "x" to close the tab and window.

Works like Firefox browser does with tabs.

Collapse -
I want to open a new window in IE maximized
by hammyl / April 27, 2009 11:59 PM PDT

When I open a new window in IE it does not appear maximized. I have a Dell desk top with XP operating system. How can I fix this?

Collapse -
(NT) What, if anything, have u applied concerning the posted info
by Cursorcowboy / April 29, 2009 12:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
maximize window when clicking on link
by IDpeach / February 8, 2010 4:11 PM PST

I have Windows XP. When I am in a maximized window & click on a link in the window it all of a sudden only opens to a tiny rectangle, rather than a larger window or maximized. My properties are already set as maximized so how do I remedy this link opening to tiny size problem? Thanks.

Collapse -
Tell IE to use a larger size for a new window.
by Kees Bakker / February 8, 2010 4:22 PM PST
Collapse -
in IE maximized
by CANITO10 / April 17, 2012 12:57 AM PDT

Just resize each side (up, down, right, left) pressing and draging up to the size you want and then close the window and open again and boonnnn

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.