Windows 7 forum

Question

Want to install Win7 on a Win8 Laptop, have a few questions

by Voodoo_Farm / December 6, 2012 9:48 PM PST

Hey there, ive never really installed an OS before (or downgraded) so Im pretty new at this.

Anyways, im going to be buying a new laptop that comes with windows 8 pre installed. Ive tried it before, and havent liked it, so I plan on installing W7. I just have a few questions since this is my first time.

Ive heard you need to boot from disc, but cant you just insert the disk and run it like normal to start the installation? Or will that not work?

If you do need to boot from disc, how would i go about doing this?

Also it has an ssd boot drive and secondary HDD. How do i make sure it installs on the ssd?

And lastly, will i lose all of my drivers? And if i do what are your suggestions for redownloading them all?

Thank you for any help. Like i said ive never installed An OS before so im new at this.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to install Win7 on a Win8 Laptop, have a few questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to install Win7 on a Win8 Laptop, have a few questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why
by tonyron227 / December 6, 2012 10:52 PM PST

Why would you buy Windows 8 when there are still laptops with Windows 7 available? You will have to buy a license for Windows 7 after you purchase that laptop. Also, if you have never tried this before, you WILL have problems getting the drivers and making them work. This is better left to a professional. If I were you I would look for what you really want before jumping into this...

Collapse -
Need this laptop. Gonna stick with my decision.
by Voodoo_Farm / December 6, 2012 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Why

The one im getting is a fairly good deal and I need it for work and school.

Im aware of the license

It doesnt take a professional to install drivers. I was looking for tips is all.

Im sticking with my decision, just looking for some help is all

Collapse -
Drivers
by bob b / December 6, 2012 11:47 PM PST

Get the make and model of the machine.
Go to the maker's site and see if they provide drivers for w7.
If No.........your going to be winging it.

Collapse -
Answer
BEWARE. Some laptops do not have Windows 7 drivers!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 11:58 PM PST

I can supply a link where a maker has already done that. Be sure to check for driver and HELPER APP support first.

What is a HELPER APP? Example follows. For example on a Dell you install the drivers for everything but the WiFi may still not work. You need the QuickSet utility (helper app) to turn it off and on.
Bob

Collapse -
PS - Owe you an apology, Bob
by DChrisL / December 9, 2012 10:51 PM PST
I had WIN8 Pro for 5 days and all my email addresses died, Hotmail.com, Live.com and Outlook.com. This was in three days and this has been a problem for more than a year. WIN8 Pro is the garbage and I will go to my bank to get my $39.99 from MS. Darrell
Collapse -
That's strange.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 11:33 PM PST

I made a new hotmail email address to 'promote' it to a Microsoft account, and it worked both in hotmail.com and in outlook.com in Windows 8.

Come to think of it, those address live on Microsoft servers. So they can't die because of you having issues with the browser you use to access them via the web or the email client you use to access them via pop3 or imap. Moreover, if this already was a problem a year ago, it most certainly isn't a Windows 8 problem.

I don't think Microsoft will pay back your $39.99 if it's your own incompetence in handling their products that causes you to complain. Personally, I didn't particularly like (the user interface of) my evaluation copy of Windows 8, but it didn't harm anything (except my Ununtu boot) and I wouldn't call it 'garbage'.

Best of luck with getting Windows 7 back!

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Don't downgrade...just change Win8 to your liking
by rxpsych1 / December 7, 2012 10:21 AM PST

I feel the same way you do about Windows 8. I just turned on a new computer yesterday that had Windows 8 on it for the first time, and damn I was lost. Then I started searching the web and found some free programs that can give you back the classic start menu and essentially turn Windows 8 back to Windows 7. Trust me that it is far easier to keep Windows 8 and modify it than to completely start from scratch with Windows 7. I've done the format/reinstall thing before with many computers, and without the right drivers and programs, you're dead in the water and have a nice new paperweight.

Collapse -
Answer
win 7 install
by EternalX-h / December 7, 2012 10:24 AM PST

Windows 8 Pro supports a downgrade right to go to Windows 7. If you have regular Windows 8, you will need your own product key.

You might also need to disable the Windows 8 secure boot feature, because some computers have it hard-coded into the bios and it will only accept Windows 8 installs unless you disable, hopefully you can on the new laptop.

I found a good article that gives more detailed steps so I don't have to write it out.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015107/downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7-what-you-need-to-know.html

In order to boot from from the Windows 7 disc, when the computer first turns on the bios loads, there is normally an option to hit like F12 that says Boot Options, and then it will let you choose the CD. Sometimes the bios is set up to try and boot from a CD if possible first before going to the hard drive. You can also set the boot priority in the BIOS.

As far as the hard drive and SSD is concerned, your laptop probably has a regular hard drive that has a SSD cache that makes commonly used stuff faster. It is very rare to have two different hard drives in a laptop. The hard drive and system will automatically move files to the SSD that it accesses the most and will prioritize that. You can tell this is the case because when you go to Computer, it will only show 1 hard drive, not two. Don't worry about this, the computer will take care of that for you.

As far as the drivers, I've heard of people having issues finding drivers for Windows 7 when 8 was pre-installed. Try going to the makers website and the support page and see if you can download them before hand. Windows 7 also does a really good automatically installing drivers it needs on install and start up.

Hopefully this helps!

Collapse -
Answer
Get Start8 or Classic Start & make Win8 like Win7
by wpgwpg / December 7, 2012 10:39 AM PST

I agree with a previous poster. If you get Start8 or Classic Start, Windows 8 will look and work like Windows 7. Everything I've loaded and tested so far works with Windows 8. Just be aware that the games that came standard with every prior release are no longer there.

If you try to install Windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 8, you're just asking for trouble. It's a bit like trying to put a Ford motor in a Chevy. You can probably do it, but you're sending Murphy an engraved invitation to strike.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
I hope you have name and passwwords from the following:
by DChrisL / December 9, 2012 10:46 PM PST
Outlook.com, Hotmail.com and Live.com. All three sites was blocked by MS. I have Recovery Disks and with www.killdisk.com, cleaned all out and back to WIN7 Home Edition
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.