Cameras

General discussion

Want a new digital camera good for concerts

by buffywnabe / February 7, 2010 11:10 AM PST

I always have issues with zooming in, or else the fact that the pictures are always blurry due to the moving of the performers. I also like to have a big screen on the back to view. I have looked at the new touch screens as well, I have an iphone and really like that technology. These are the cameras I'm looking at, does anyone have any suggestions on which of these would be best for concert pictures, or if I should look at another completely different model? I do also take pictures of my dog and I like to take flower pictures, so I need zooming for that as well. But my main concern is concerts. Here is my list:

Olympus Stylus 7010
Olympus Tough 6000 or 8000
Sony Cybershot TX1 or T90
Nikon Coolpix S70

Thanks for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want a new digital camera good for concerts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want a new digital camera good for concerts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
only one of those could possibly work

The Sony TX1 is the only one of the group that does better in high ISO shots, which are needed for low light situations like concerts. It wont give you perfect shots, but it'll do better than any of the other ones, including the other Sony. It utilizes the new Sony backlit sensors that don't produce as much noise in high ISOs.

Collapse -
also

None of those cameras will zoom very close, but if you bought a compact superzoom then you'll run into problems of a small aperture lens, which will also cause problems in concerts.

Collapse -
thanks
by buffywnabe / February 8, 2010 2:14 AM PST

Thanks, I like that the sony has the touch screen on the back too. It's a little pricey, but I want something that will do the things I use it for, so that is okay. I don't want any of the bigger cameras, because obviously going to a concert they won't let you use those, as well as they are inconvenient.

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
So budget's not an issue?
by MarkatNite / February 8, 2010 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

>"I don't want any of the bigger cameras, because obviously going to a concert they won't let you use those, as well as they are inconvenient."

If that's the only reason, I would strongly recommend a Panasonic GF1 (and 20mm f1.7 "pancake" lens) over any of the cameras listed in your original post. The GF1 has much better low-light performance, and I've taken my GH1 (which is a bit bigger than the GF1) into several shows without a problem.

The catch would be that, with the 20mm lens (40mm 35mm equiv.), you'll want to be in the first few rows.

And there's no touchscreen - Mark

Collapse -
One other catch
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 8, 2010 9:55 AM PST

I don't see the OP spending 3x the amount of the highest priced camera on his list. The GF1, at Amazon.com, is $1150. That's a big jump from his highest priced camera being $380.

Collapse -
not sure if this is info that helps
by buffywnabe / February 8, 2010 12:06 PM PST

Yeah, I really only want to spend around $300 at the most, and I rarely get first few row seats at concerts. I currently have a Canon Power Shot SD750, I am looking for something better, but not $1000 worth. I go to concerts for fun, and want good pictures, but don't need anything really fancy. So the cameras I listed were the ones that had good zoom numbers or or other things listed that sounded like they'd be good for the uses I have for a camera. So, the Sony Cybershot says it only has a 2x zoom, not sure that's really what I want. Oh well, I'll keep looking I guess.

Collapse -
So budget *is* an issue.
by MarkatNite / February 8, 2010 2:38 PM PST

That's cool. I just wanted to make sure since it was not mentioned until now.

Mark

Collapse -
Samsung ST1000 (CL65) GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Compact Camera
by brianken2 / February 8, 2010 6:29 PM PST
Collapse -
but is it good for concerts?
by buffywnabe / February 8, 2010 10:08 PM PST

But is this camera good for shooting at concerts? That's my concern, for zooming in on distant, moving subjects in low light conditions.

Collapse -
No
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 9, 2010 6:18 AM PST

The Samsung is not good for low light photography. That guy posts about every Samsung product in all the different forums and posts positive reviews for everything Samsung.

Collapse -
I want to share information
by brianken2 / February 10, 2010 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: No

kalel33!

I think your comment seems to be too malicious.
Is there anyting wrong with posting what I consider?

As I am an ordinary camera user and have Samsung digital camera, "Yes" I did post some positive reviews about Samsung digital camera because I was fond of new features and technologies such as GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Dual LCD...
However the judgement is upto the users whether it is good or not. That's why I posted images and even positive reviews for reference.

If I had a camera with innovative features for other brands like Canon, Sony, Nikon,... I would have done the same thing.

I just want to share information with you guys. That is all I want.

Collapse -
usually I'm not , but
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 11, 2010 4:36 AM PST

From your reviews, you reviewed 6 different MP3 players in the last 2 years and all were best MP3 players and all were Samsung. Did you own 6 MP3 players in less than a year and a half and all Samsung? All your comments are about Samsung video cameras being great, and all your forum posts are pushing Samsung cameras, even the not yet released DSLR.

I can recommend other brands other than my own and do on many occasions. Out of 26 total postings on Cnet about video cameras, digital cameras, and MP3 players you rave ony about Samsung. I would think your being paid by them, especially when you recommend cameras that are horrible for intended use of the original posters. Low light ability has been an Achille's heel for Samsung for awhile. Except for a couple from a couple of years ago, Samsung has been behind in image quality too. Their cameras are feature packed, but are usually behind other in image quality.

My apologies if you aren't paid or work for Samsung.

Collapse -
I accept your apology
by brianken2 / February 11, 2010 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: usually I'm not , but

I am not 100% employeed and get paid by Samsung by posting what I wanted.
I wish I get paid or work for Samsung.
It would be great if you could introduce me to Samsung to pay me some extra money ^.^

I was an engineer who was in charge of developing mp3 players. That's why I had so many different mp3 players inluding iPod, Cowon, LG,...

Now, I am no longer interested in mp3 players. I am interested in digital camers and started to like them.

One of the cameras I had was Sony T70 few years ago which was finally broken. Sony T70 was not good at low lights. It disappointed me as an ordinary camera user. As being a noraml guy, I think many compact cameras are poor under low light conditions.

I will shoot additional images or videos with Samsung ST1000 at night and post them soon. You may provide your opinion how you think based on the contents.

BTW, as you mentioned "Low light ability has been an Achille's heel for Samsung for awhile. Except for a couple from a couple of years ago, Samsung has been behind in image quality too", what are the coupule of the cameras that are exceptional? I am just curious.

Collapse -
There is a caveat
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 11, 2010 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: I accept your apology

The Samsung NV7 and NV8 were fine cameras as long as you didn't expect them to be speedy or take them anywhere but base ISO. They had a nice Schneider-Krueznach lens on them. They also had a great build quality and nice features. In regards to an overall camera, they lagged behind but I didn't mind putting it in as a camera to consider to those buying them.

Otherwise, every Samsung point and shoot has been pretty much panned for their image quality. They are always well featured but lacking in the sensor and lens. They're kind of like a top of the line luxury car, decked out, and have a small 4 cylinder in them. They might be built and feel nice, but have no performance to write home about.

You can read the current and historical reviews on the Samsung cameras here. You will see that each review hammered their image quality and speed.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/reviews/default.asp?brandID=275227&productFamilyID=0

Collapse -
one adjustment
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 11, 2010 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: There is a caveat

It forgot to say that the cameras this year have shown decent image quality, as long as you stay at base ISO. They are seem to be really fun to use and decent image quality. The problem with them is that they still can't do any type of low light and there are much better cameras out there for image quality and performance. The thing you get with the Samsung is all the cool features that you won't find on other cameras.

Collapse -
Maybe or maybe not.
by brianken2 / February 10, 2010 10:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Concert Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 11:39 PM PST

You are looking for a camera that has not been built yet.

Your best choice is to take video .. not still photos.

Video can handle the movement without any apparent blurring.

Collapse -
Video
by buffywnabe / February 9, 2010 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Concert Camera

Only problem with videos at concerts is that is usually not allowed. Not that I don't sneak a few minutes of video when I can, but I want good pictures. Or at least better than I have been getting.

Does anyone know anything about the Samsung DualView TL225? It looks kind of cool too.

Collapse -
Yes
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / February 9, 2010 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Video

There are some reviews online about that camera. It's pretty much fun to use and intuitive, but lags behind in image quality and battery life. It also only uses micro-SD cards.

Collapse -
Yes, it is fun to use
by brianken2 / February 11, 2010 4:06 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I agree with Kalel33 about the fact that TL225 is fun to use and has intuitive features.

But I am not sure whether TL225 lags behind in image quality.

However, the battery life is fine to me. It is not too long but not too short.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.