Laptops forum

Question

wanna buy a new laptop, Toshiba or HP?

by IsaAl122 / May 8, 2013 11:25 PM PDT

Hey

I wanna buy a new windows laptop and I am wondering buy the toshiba satellite L855 B511 or the HP dv6?. they are both almost equal in options but the toshiba has 3.4GHz while HP has 3.1 GHz but it's not a big difference and that's why I am wondering so which one do you think is better?

Also if you know another laptop with good features please let me know it's name.

BTW, I have a macbook pro so please if you list a name of a laptop please I want it with chiclet keyboard like the mac

ty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wanna buy a new laptop, Toshiba or HP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wanna buy a new laptop, Toshiba or HP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd go with the Toshiba
by wpgwpg / May 8, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

HP has got problems. I've had Toshiba laptops the last 5 years, and have as yet to have a problem with them (knock, knock).

Collapse -
ty for ur reply :D
by IsaAl122 / May 9, 2013 12:06 AM PDT

I already had the HP and it was fine but that was since around 4-5 years so idk about the new HP

what type of problems did u face with HP?

Collapse -
I've read several posts & experienced support
by wpgwpg / May 9, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: ty for ur reply :D

HP's tech support has got to be worse than nothing. They're the only ones I've ever experienced who will tell you things that're 100% opposite from the truth. E.g. they told me you could plug a PCI card into a PCIe slot. I've read Bob Proffitt's posts about how they were unable to fix a defective system after many months (I see he's posted about it in this thread), and seen other similar posts. There've been numerous news reports about their financial problems and the management shake-ups they've had in recent years too.

Collapse -
Answer
My problem was a biggy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 12:19 AM PDT

Right out of the box there was a bug/defect. At 3 months I had the time to call it in. 8 hours on the phone and they take it back. What's not good about what happened next is that they returned it in far worse shape than they got it. Before it had a bug. After their repair it would lock up in minutes. To make matters worse the support calls were answers with "we've done all we could." at 9 months I called it my last HP.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not sure what your needs are.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

But my kid picked up that 380 buck Asus K55N off amazon. We added the second 4GB memory and he's gaming on it. 2 year drop and spill warranty too.

I've seen worse deals.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
L/T Choice
by pgc3 / May 9, 2013 12:43 AM PDT

Toshiba any day, I've had a few different manufacturers L/T's. Toshiba with Intel processor, pretty hard to beat, I presently own 2, one is 5 years old, the other a bit over a year, great units, highly recommend.

Collapse -
Answer
new laptop choices
by 99trw99 / May 27, 2013 11:26 AM PDT

does not matter
what matters are the chips inside
intel for business
amd for games

Collapse -
Answer
Toshiba vs HP
by Mpetzelt / November 4, 2013 3:48 AM PST

I would suggest the Toshibia. I found some good deals at Monitorcloselystore.com. They have a good customer service department and a wide display of products.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.