Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wandering Cursor

by nupi32tls / February 17, 2006 11:18 AM PST

Can someone please explain what it is that is causing the cursor to suddenly begin to wander around the screen? Do I have an infection of some sort. I have Norton system works protecting my machine--supposedly.
I also am running road runner which means my machine is on line continuously. This is driving me crazy and is becoming a pain in the bottom in view of the fact that I am an online professor with several courses currently underway.
Help, help help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wandering Cursor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wandering Cursor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Norton won't find.
by Stan Chambers / February 17, 2006 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: Wandering Cursor

Spyware, adware, and other malware.

In addition to your antivirus program, you need protection from these other annoyances.

This what I use for such.

Adaware se personnal 1.06

Spybot Search & Destroy

The very best program that I've found for cleaning the junk out.
CCleaner fixes registry issues, and cleans out all those temp files, and is very fast.

I use all of the above with Norton AV and ZoneAlarm free firewall. I haven't had a problem in more than a year.
Best of luck.

Collapse -
Is your mouse. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 17, 2006 8:57 PM PST

I have two, one on each PC and they do the same thing. I just touch the mouse, move it slightly, and it stops. I don't know why it does that.

Collapse -
Wandering Cursor
by LV8X / March 8, 2006 3:34 PM PST

I just found out about this by asking the same question some of you asked about a wandering cursor. Somewhere, probably in one of these postings, I saw that if you use an optical mouse, as I am, then the cursor may spontaneously wander if the mouse is used on a smooth surface, such as a desk. If, however, the mouse is placed on a mouse pad, the wandering problem should disappear. It does.

This post is to thank whoever made that discovery and shared it and also to pass on that information in case others haven't seen it

Collapse -
Thanks to all
by nupi32tls / April 25, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

Well, after some time and a new computer, I began to see the wanderer again. I have taken the advice of you all and will check them all out. Will let you all know. Right now I have placed my mouse (cordless Microsoft Optical 2.0) on a new dell mousepad. We will see.
Tks again all.

Collapse -
my mouse does that...
by jb2wheeler / May 1, 2006 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to all

I have a optical trackball mouse that wanders after I have the computer turned on a long time. I dont know if it just runs out of system resources or just gets hot. I have XP Home. If I reboot, the problem goes away until it has been on a long time again. It does not matter if I use the computer or if I just leave it turned on and idle, it still happens. I have a Sony and the only time I can hear the fan running is when I boot up or reboot. Maybe a 2 speed fan? JB

Collapse -
Have fixed some
by Merl Priester / May 2, 2006 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to all

Some of these I have fixed by unchecking "enchance pointer precision" in the mouse properties.

I think the pointer is moving trying to be more "precise"
Doesn't always work though.

Collapse -
Wander Cursor
by nupi32tls / May 4, 2006 2:17 AM PDT

Hey Gang;
Tks for the responses. After reading and trying some of the guidance posted, I stumbled upon the answer this morning. Here it is.

I have my wife's computer set up on a wireless router.
This morning I booted up to check my mail. My wife was on her computer in another room.
I noticed the cursor wandering again. But then I thought about the wireless router setup and the way that such electronics work and it turns out that there was interference from the wife's computer (and cursor).

I asked her to move her cursor randomly and guess what, it was moving the cursor on my screen. Haven't, yet, figured out how to stop this, short of placing a blocking capicator across my mouse inputs.

Oh, it might be worth noting that we are both using wireless mice.
Anyone out there with this experience?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.