Phones forum

Walmart Straight Talk a Rip Off

by edr2013 / May 1, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

I purchased a Straight Talk Cell Fone 2 mths ago. The problem began when I was hit with "high data usage" just 24hrs into my new monthly plan. My data usage was suspended w/o cause. No amount of visits to Walmart or calls to Customer Service( incld txts) resolved or restored my data. They got my money and kept it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Walmart Straight Talk a Rip Off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Walmart Straight Talk a Rip Off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry to hear that
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 2:14 PM PDT

Truth be told though, you didn't do your research. If you would have read more about their service, such shut downs are common for others.

Unfortunately, if you need to use data you have to pony up to the bar for it. That generally means no prepaid or discounted service will suffice for those requiring larger buckets of bits.

Collapse -
by STSara / May 2, 2013 12:49 PM PDT

Hi Edr2013, this is Sara of Straight Talk Wireless. We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced with the service recently. We would be glad to help you in rectifying this issue. For us to better assist you, please send us an email with your phone number and serial number of your phone at Thank you!

Collapse -
Resolution for 'Walmart Staight Talk Rip Off'
by edr2013 / May 19, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Assistance

Thank u STS Sara for yor reply to my complaint. The ST Resolution Team has found a panacea to the wrongful suspension of mt Data (for April) and made compensation. I should have been referred to the Resolution Team much sooner.

Collapse -
No Straight Talk at Straight Talk Wireless - All Lies
by jackcrap / June 6, 2013 12:17 PM PDT

I bought a Straight Talk phone on May 31, 2013. I called that night to activate. I called the number provided on the card. They ST representative told me my phone would be activated Monday. I didn't hear from them by late aferrnoon Monday, so I called my former service provider (SouthernLinc who is great and only left bc. they lost nationwide service) and they said ST had seen request to port number in wrong name. I called ST back and they said they were aware and would send request again. ST had this information early Monday morning. They told me my phone would be activated Tuesday morning. I called on Tuesday because the number I was provided to call for activation said my phone could not be activated. The representative told me my phone would be activated by 3:oo p.m. EST. I called them back around 4:30 EST because my phone still would not activate. They said (after transferring 5 or 6 times the least of all my calls) that my phone would be activated at 8:34 P.M. EST. I did not even bother to try Tuesday night. Wednesday around 11 a.m. EST I tried to activate, to no avail. I called them back and they began the transfer, transfer, transfer, lie, transfer, lie routine again. Finally after about 8 transfers and 2 supervisors, I was told there was a problem and it would be another 24 hours. What was I going to do send lightning bolts down the line and strike them dead (oh how I wish), so I said fine. I called the activation number around 3 P.M. Thursday - no activation. I called again and got the same run around. It will be another 24 hours. I hung up and called's complaint line. Sara was very helpful. She told me they were getting lots of complaints. She suggested (strongly) that I call Georgia Public Service Commission first thing on Friday (this is still Thursday and I plan to call in the morning). She said she would pass my complaint on to Clark. On a whelm, I decided to call ST back. When I finally got a rep. I didn't give him a chance to talk. I told him I would be seeking legal advice and would contact Georgia's PSC first thing in the morning. I went on to say they might want to see if they could push that "damn" (excuse th language but I was very frustrated and angry by that time). She asked to place me on hold (what else in new!!!), I said what choice did I have? Within 2 minutes my cell was activated. She never came back on the phone. I hung up and tried to call again, got a rep, told him my story again. He said (as many others had) let me transfer you to my floor supervisior. I left the phone on the counter for over 20 minutes and was never reconnected to anyone. This is inexcusable. This is a WalMart supported company and they should be held accountable.

Collapse -
This is a good example of...
by Pepe7 / June 7, 2013 12:52 AM PDT get what you pay for. Period.

Collapse -
sad but true
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

Going prepaid saves $$$ but you sacrifice customer service.

Collapse -
You don't get what you pay for
by Pohai101 / January 6, 2015 4:39 AM PST

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy 2 a couple of years ago for over $300 and used Straight Talk. Finally I decided to switch to Verizon and Straight Talk wouldn't or couldn't unlock the phone. Now I have a phone that will only work with Straight Talk. I will never use them again. No customer support and a complete rip off.

Collapse -
Please top post so we can discuss "unlocking" and CDMA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2015 4:43 AM PST

I've seen companies transfer phones among networks but even today it's their choice to get it done.

Collapse -
As Bob hinted
by Pepe7 / January 6, 2015 5:57 AM PST

Proper research would have led you to avoid buying a phone from them, or only buying a phone which you knew could be used elsewhere on a different network. In the future, I suggest using sites such as to help you figure out this sort of thing.

Collapse -
by Pohai101 / January 6, 2015 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: As Bob hinted

Thank you for your reply. When I purchased the phone there were no "smart phone" cheaper options with Verizon or AT&T. It served my purpose for a couple of years but it still smarts to know the phone isn't "mine". Live and learn.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 6, 2015 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Research

....the phone is yours. You can resell it or give it away.

Collapse -
"request to port number in wrong name."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 2:47 AM PDT

Please don't spam the forum with your story. Do top post it so folk can comment and discuss.

The kicker and probable cause of this mess from what I read is "request to port number in wrong name."

These carriers are so bound by the rules that any screwup such as that does result in a lockdown of the account at where/when the error was found.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 3:15 AM PDT

Despite your statement, "This is a Walmart supported company.....", this is absolutely false. Walmart sells the service but they do not directly support the service. Straight Talk has it's own customer service group. Don't confuse the issue. Further slanderous comments can result in a post delete or a temporary ban.

Collapse -
Straight Talk: Baaad, baaad Customer Service
by edr2013 / August 23, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

Have bin using ST for sum 6 mths and hav found out twice: the service is generally good. If u don't hav a problem that requires the help of Cust Serv. This month (Aug2013) lost my Android so had service shut off just two weeks into my plan. Android was returned 12hrs later. Spent 3 days trying to get in contact with ST: "high volume of calls" & "web site temporarily down". Had to purchase another Plan and was told "no credit for unused two weeks".

Collapse -
by Tibbles2014 / September 5, 2015 1:03 PM PDT

Straight Talk is worst company ever!! Last night was last straw after 8 days & over 50 hours on the phone with Straight talk I was told not only can I not get my number but third person I was transferred to said my phone hasn't worked because he figured out the sim card in my phone someone else has same sim card number activated. This phone also has same issues as other 2 Phones ive had in last month. All huawei Raven phones did home button doesn't work, keeps saying unplug charger when no chargers plugged into it, the icons keep turning into white Androids and say the apps aren't installed this is exactly what other two huawei ravens did before the just had black screen or quit booting up all together. Noone has called me. I was told last night I could be sent the zte lever overnighted then I could send phone back. Only to be on phone over 3 hours transferred 3 times and made promises went thru whole order process then guy backed out said no I'd have to be sent airbill send this phone back and then I'd be sent phone. I've been without a working phone for a month! It took 3 weeks to get this replacement phone & just got airbill yesterday to send other phone back. I've called straight talk every day for 8/9 days spent over 50 hours on phone with straight talk (that's more than a full work week on damn phone with ST. I'VE been lied to, hung up on, promised things , and they lost my other zte quartz i sent in July to be replaced so they refuse to send that replacement either. I had to buy another $180 phone this is 3rd one that's broke and now this is treatment I get. I was told last night by St sorry nothing they can do & they said I'd have no other choice then to contact a lawyer so guess after this holiday weekend Tuesday I'll be doing that as well as letting everyone know what happened. I will post on every blog forum social media and websites I can find .including any stores that sell your phones. Amazon, Walmart ect. I will report ST to the FFC BBB RIPPOFF SITES ECT I've seen countless posts from others that have had same issues I've had so I'm sure when I file suit thousands will follow.I know someone who works in corporate at Walmart he's been involved with the problems I've had with ST from day one. He also was hung up on by a supervisor. So I'll be contacting him as well. I'll contact every news station as well as their blogs twitters, facebooks & forums. Please copy my post put it everywhere. Straight needs to pay for what they've done to me and countless others.

Collapse -
That would be spamming.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2015 1:21 PM PDT

Stop spamming and don't delay on your lawsuit. Don't let them know you are suing by posting such a thing. Get going and don't spam it.

Collapse -
Not likely you can sue them...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 5, 2015 8:41 PM PDT

As with virtually all cellular carriers, not likely you can sue them as with most cellular providers. You should review the Terms and Conditions of Service carefully. Most likely you must settle such disputes through arbitration.

I am not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.