Laptops forum

General discussion

Walmart Economy Laptop- Good Idea?

by horst_04 / November 21, 2005 11:27 AM PST

Most people have unboubtalbly seen the $488 laptop from Walmart. If not, it is an HP with an AMP Sempron 2800+ Processor, 256MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, CD-WR/DVD-Rom, and a 15 inch screen. It also has integrated wireless. I only would need it for word processing and internet with occasional music or movies. Is this deal really worth waiting in line for or will it fall apart after 6 months?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Walmart Economy Laptop- Good Idea?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Walmart Economy Laptop- Good Idea?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you're talking about the HP ze2308...
by togus / November 21, 2005 11:51 AM PST

Sure that's a deal. If you don't abuse it, it should last awhile, it will likely come with a one year warranty and if you buy it with a gold master card the credit card company will double the warranty.
Good luck.

Collapse -
by Nooorm / November 22, 2005 5:21 AM PST

Could be as little as 90 days, certainly no more than 1 year.

Collapse -
compare it to
by Qosmio / November 22, 2005 4:37 AM PST

driving down the road and seeing a chevy chevett with a $488 price in the some bucs and get a better notebook.

Collapse -
Price is right
by horst_04 / November 22, 2005 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: compare it to

Im a poor college student, unless you know of a way to get a better laptop for cheap, let me know.

Collapse -
well since u r budget limited...i'm sure
by nerdyboy1234 / November 22, 2005 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Price is right

this would be a great notebook for taking notes in lectures, doing word processing, etc.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I concur
by togus / November 22, 2005 11:52 AM PST
Collapse -
that was not the orginal question you asked
by Qosmio / November 23, 2005 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Price is right

to start your asked (is it a deal wourth waiting in line or will it fall apart) on a walmart notebook.i gave you my thoughts on the walmart notebook.your statement (being a poor collage student and how do i get a better one for the price)i can not give you that would have to figure that one out.thats the fun of growing up.
Good luck & God bless

Collapse -
Don't think about it.
by webwzrd / November 23, 2005 3:10 PM PST

Look, I'm an IT consultant with 10+ yrs experience, started in hardware, then networking, owned an ISP, now a senior developer.

Last year, I bought a Compaq Presario 3000z at Office Max for 440 after rebate. Very similar specs to the HP in question. Entry level? Sure!, but not so even 6 months before. I do tons of programming on it and at times quite heavy data processing in Excel as well as a local SQL server.

Truth is, after 400 Mhz I stopped telling the difference unless doing heavy processing or playing games. I actually play several on this thing just fine.

I'm standing in line and buying one of these HPs for my daughter in college. At that price, it's a bargain. Get more ram though, 256 is too little for Windows. I got another 512 for 60 shipped here.

Sure, you can get a better laptop, but not by very much, and it will cost you TONS more. If you're into gaming, get a desktop. Laptops are a commitment. What you get cannot be readily upgraded, except for RAM, batteries, cd, hd, etc. As for ruggedness and reliability, you can expect the same as with the latest Alienware $5000 job. The nice thing about Walmart is that you can put it back in the box and take it right back to the store if you don't like it for ANY reason. HP/Compaq are the biggest guys out there, and HP has a pretty good support reputation.

For the rest of you, either stop talking down or give him/her the money to get what I'm sure you don't have.

Collapse -
One more thing....
by webwzrd / November 23, 2005 3:31 PM PST
In reply to: Don't think about it.

As for warranty, the industry standard is one year, unless the machine is a factory refurb, in which case the norm is 30 to 90 days. I would seriously doubt that Walmart would deal in refurbs, but it's never a bas idea to ask.

On looking at HPs site, the ze2308wm model isn't listed in their current offerings, so it's probably discontinued. OR, the wm stands for Walmart. Not a standard model. My plan is as soon as I get it home, to call HP support to make sure I won't have problems in the future.

I will post back over the weekend and relate my experience and feelings with the machine, if anyone's interested.

Collapse -
One more, more thing
by webwzrd / November 23, 2005 6:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Not all of us talked down to him; and I like HP but
by togus / November 23, 2005 8:58 PM PST

for some reason it feels like you're scolding me...

Collapse -
If I did, my apologies.
by webwzrd / November 24, 2005 12:17 AM PST

While I did not mean to offend anyone, I posted here mostly because a couple of the responses to this person's request for help seemed to me a little condescending while offering no valid information.

I now realize that in doing so in that manner I no better.

My apologies again.

Collapse -
ouch!! you said hp has pretty good support
by Qosmio / November 24, 2005 12:50 AM PST

being a user of hp notebook user in the past that statement is way out there.being that i just bought a ipaq6515 and have been through the ringer with hp support/customer care selling me a warrenty then calling me back and telling me that there is no extend warrenty then talking to busness sales then buying the warrenty once more then it being taken away once hp has a hold on my credit card of a total of 300.00 selling me something thats not even there or is it.i got a call from them on thursday night letting me know that there is a warrenty for my ipaq.should i trust them??????

Collapse -
Maybe I'm just lucky
by webwzrd / November 24, 2005 4:17 AM PST

Maybe it's been blind luck, but personally, I've never had a problem with either HP or Compaq, and my experience with either has been quite heavy at times, both personally and on behalf of clients.

I can only speak from experience, but I also listen to other's, so thanks.

Collapse -
pretty good support
by cjsimmo8311 / November 25, 2005 6:40 AM PST

i have had 4 different compaq and hps over the past 3 years have loved them all and gotten pretty good servise with the 2 problems i have had

Collapse -
Could it be a custom job?
by AdelaideJohn1967 / November 23, 2005 8:49 PM PST

Despite the HP name could this be a custom job for Walmart as in a whitebook? Maybe they bought a whole bunch of shells and got them made to spec?

Collapse -
very likely so.
by webwzrd / November 24, 2005 12:27 AM PST

I've researched a little as I will be standing in line for this later. First, the ze2300 series as described on HPs website seem to be AMD 64 bit machines, not Semprons. In addition, the wm postfix doesn't appear anywhere except in articles about Walmart and this Friday, which from my understanding seems to have been leaked prematurely (I just received the mailer yesterday).

It would definitely appear that this is a custom deal for Walmart. Probably sold in good numbers and very low profit.

I remember WM carrying E-Machines quite recently. Maybe this is a conditional deal with HP to carry theirs instead. They are doing a desktop as well.

Collapse -
One item same family of 2300 series in Ebay
by shahrear06 / November 24, 2005 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: very likely so.
Collapse -
by cjsimmo8311 / November 25, 2005 6:42 AM PST

as a former employee of the company that is what they do for there blitz(black friday items) they buy such a massive number of product the company discounts the product and thing that has wm in the model name is made JUST for

Collapse -
Found the Ze2308 on Ebay
by star58 / November 24, 2005 10:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Final Thoughts
by horst_04 / November 24, 2005 11:26 AM PST

Thanks to everyone for the advice. If you all haven't gone to bed already, the mother of all deals is not found at Wally World, however, at Circuit City. A Toshiba with Celeron D, 512 MB RAM, 60GB hard drive, and a 15" screen for $199, INSTANTLY! The only drawback is that you must purchase one year of AOL. For around $180, that brings the total to around $380, 100 less than WM for a much better machine. Happy Holidays.

Collapse -
Circuit city notebook
by brian0230 / November 24, 2005 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: Final Thoughts

You said the aol was about $180 for a year subscription, thought it was $24 /mo, maybe im wrong...also how much is memory upgrade for the toshiba laptop? 256 doesnt seem to be enough.

Collapse -
WalMart Sucks
by leocook / November 24, 2005 8:10 PM PST

My blood is boiling; may be a little incoherent here. Just returned from my WalMart and was told by the manager their laptops sold out by 11 PM last night!

Sale was advertised to start at 5 AM this morning and I,with others, entered at 4:30 and was met by the manager. A line was waiting in the store and when I asked Lou, the manager, if we had to wait in line or could we go direct to the department, he asked what I was looking for. When I told him I wanted a laptop computer he said "..that sold out at 11 last night". When told he had violated the rules he replied "..what was I to do -- they were here waiting".

The manager's name is Lou Rangel, and I hope to raise a stink with WalMart, and others, over this issue. If any of you have suggestions, would like to hear from you.

Collapse -
18 Laptops!
by cmpowers1 / November 24, 2005 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: WalMart Sucks

Walmart Sycks! I completely agree and would love to make a big stink about it. Myself and my friend went to walmart. We arrived at 2:50 a.m. and stood outside in the 12 degree snow until 5 a.m. We were numbers 41 and 42 in line so we gifured we had half a chance. WE didn't. There was no form of line or crowd control and people lined up by the cars with carts and got a running start and just plowed through all the people that had been there waiting. Tons of people just walked up and cut in line from around 4:30 a.m. When the doors opened we're lucky we didn't just get trampled to death. People just pushed with all their might even though there was no where to go. When we got back to the phot counter where they had the laptops people continued to push in the same manner. I was concerned that the photo counter would just be pushed over. So after a few moments we hear the announcement "all the laptops are gone!" Disappointed we turn and walk away like most of the people that were in line around us and in front of us. So who got the laptops? Well, all those people that showed up late, sat in their warm cars and nearly caused serious injury to ther est of us. It helped that I couldn't feel most of my body at this point so all of the pushing, punching, shoving, stepping on and pulling didn't affect me. What really infuriated me was that you didn't even need to pay for the could put them in layaway. SO all these people got back there, put them in layaway and were done.....if you can't afford it now, you can't have it.

So as it turns out, it may have served us best to stop the fighting, just let them run us over, get trampled, spend a day or two in the hospital, get out and sue Walmart, and then buy whatever laptop we wanted.

THe lack of crowd control or any sort of security was unbelievable. I don't know why the goverment even allows sales like this anymore, all it results in is fights, anger and injury. If walmart does this to get people into the store, I can tell you right now, myself and everyone around me turned around and walked right out when they said no more laptops. WE had no interest in buying anything from Wal-Mart at that point.

So they did it, they managed to piss off alot of people.

So to everyone that had the balls to stand out in the cold for hours, congratulations on not getting frost bite! For those of you showed up at 4:40 and found your way to the front of the line, whether you got a laptop or not, I hope you got trampled on, kicked, punched, beaten, urinary tract infections, pneumonia and all the rest that could make you unpleasant.

This whole thing is alot like the lunch line in a high school cafeteria or getting out of school in second grade, we need hall guards!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Collapse -
limited availibility
by cjsimmo8311 / November 25, 2005 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: 18 Laptops!

the store in my area only had 12 and another one a few miles away only had 8. they advertised the there were very limited quantities available.

Collapse -
Push the issue hard with Walmart... that's my friend's...
by togus / November 24, 2005 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: WalMart Sucks

advice. He counts inventory for a company that has a contract with Walmart and he knows Walmart poliices. He says that at least in the New England area Wally World will make good on the deal if you assirt your 's head (walmart regional VP is the place to go) case strongly above the manager .... hey, don't cost anything to try.

oh yeah, you're right Walmart does suck and is one of the worse employers in the State... stick it to 'em.

Collapse -
Hp @ walmart hand in hand
by Qosmio / November 25, 2005 6:00 AM PST

i feel that walmart and hp work well together it seems.they both,s so bad when the buyer of this notebook waits and waits for the doors to open and it has been sold the night before.I also feel bad that hp put together false dreams for the buyers of that notebook as fare as quilty and cutomer care.the bottom line----cnet will have alot more members now asking us for input on how to fix there broken walmart/hp notebooks.any bets on this?

Collapse -
i got one
by cjsimmo8311 / November 25, 2005 6:29 AM PST

i actually managed toget one this morning got it home started it up registered then turned it off so the bat could fully charge and when i went to turn it back on the motherboard fried. called hp they are picking it up on monday the 28th for repairs

Collapse -
beat them to the punch and save yourself more proublems
by Qosmio / November 25, 2005 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: i got one

take it back to walmart while you can.get a refund and buy a has slashed there prices to compeat with the hp/walmart joke.the dell will last longer with stronger customer care not to mention a better warrenty on top of that.
good luck & God bless

Collapse -
hp ze2308
by cjsimmo8311 / December 13, 2005 1:39 AM PST

have had the laptop back for about 2 weeks now and it is working great i put in to 512mb chips that i got from new egg 89.00 for both comp works great and actually plays a few of the games i have pretty good i also have a desktop that is my primary game computer

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.