Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wallpaper screw up

by thefarside / November 18, 2003 12:32 AM PST

I have a wallpaper that is always off centre, to the bottom right. Even when i try and stretch it out. It happens with all wallpapers, so i know its not a problem with the wallpaper itself.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wallpaper screw up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wallpaper screw up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wallpaper screw up
by David Chan / November 18, 2003 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Wallpaper screw up

If part of your monitor is black you can try using the buttons on the front of the monitor to adjust the positions till it's centered. There might be an auto-center setting so check for it.

Or your monitor resolution setting may not be suitable for the wallpaer. Try and change it and see.

If it's a custom image the size may not suit the Desktop?
PowerToys has an Image Resizer that allows you to quickly resize any image to fit certain resolution setting like 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600.

If none of the above try updating your Video Card drivers with the latest driver form the manufacturer's website.

Collapse -
by thefarside / November 18, 2003 1:05 AM PST

I guess i should metion, i'm running on a laptop, so configuring the monitor isnt really possible, and its only the wallpaper thats off center, not the whole desktop. I dont think its the drivers eitehr because i just upgraded them.
thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by David Chan / November 18, 2003 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Wallpaper screw up

Then try running System File Checker and see if it fixes the problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by thefarside / November 18, 2003 12:33 PM PST

Were is the file system checker? Running XP

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by David Chan / November 18, 2003 12:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by thefarside / November 19, 2003 2:50 AM PST

Were's the help and support center...or for that matter the SFC.
I tried to just search for the SFC, didnt find any programs that worked

Collapse -
Click that link given...
by David Chan / November 19, 2003 3:10 AM PST

and see the steps to run System File Checker (SFC).

The Help and Support is access from the Start Menu.
Lots of info on using XP. Its the best resource you can have and it right there in your PC.

Collapse -
Problem with the SFC
by thefarside / November 19, 2003 9:42 AM PST

I finally got that program working except now once the program is finished, instead of displaying a menu, it just shuts down. So now i'm confussed again, so what do i do know?

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 19, 2003 10:05 AM PST

Once SFC finishes the scan it shuts off.
That is normal as during the scan it replaces any system files if need be at the same time.

I gather your wallpaper is not fixed.

Did you check at the Laptop manufacturer's website to see if you can find any update for your video?

Is the resolution set properly to the prescribed setting?

You've kept the info on make/model of the laptop to yourself.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by thefarside / November 19, 2003 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Wallpaper screw up

Tryed everything possible that i know off, changes in resolution, ect, dont seem to work, but i did notice that when i change to a differnt res, the wallpaper changes back to were it should be (centered) for a sec then goes back to off center, so i'm out of ideas. I've tryed to contact the manufacture and that didnt help at all, they sent me some crap for people who dont know how to change the wallpaper, not how to fix a glitch in windows.
Any more ideas?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by David Chan / November 19, 2003 1:04 PM PST

You did not sat if you've tried updating video driver or D/L DirectX 9.0b.

If you have done all that and it's still like that your other options are to use the recovery disks and restore to factory installed state.

Or return the Laptop to the service center and get them to fix it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Wallpaper screw up
by thefarside / November 20, 2003 2:47 AM PST

Well i finally fixed the problem, but it involved resetting the computer back a month. I dont know what it did, but i guess it got ride of the corrupt file, so alls good. I had tried it earlier, but only went back about a week, so i guess it needed more time

thanks for your help

Collapse -
(NT) So System Restore finally worked. Wonder why SFC didn't! Glad you've resolved this.
by David Chan / November 20, 2003 2:49 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:(NT) So System Restore finally worked. Wonder why SFC didn't! Glad you've resolved this.

Yeah, thanks again for the help

Collapse -
Finally Fixed it. Here is the solution.
by ndunross / December 12, 2008 11:51 AM PST

I have had this problem for the past two months. Was driving me crazy. I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution. But I finally fixed it myself.
Like I suspected, the problem was that XP was thinking start point of the screen for wallpaper placement was not at the edge of the screen, so wallpaper was moved to the left.
To fix it, simply start registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Look for WallpaperOriginX and WallpaperOriginY. One of the values is definitely not set to 0. For me it was the WallpaperOriginX which was set to 250. SO wallpaper was shifted by 250 pixels. I set it to 0 and loaded the desktop again. Voila! problem fixed. Wallpaper was centered correctly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.