Dell forum

General discussion

waking up a Dell inspiron 1318 sleep mode

by ybrik_5 / March 20, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

Is there a way to set "any key" to wake up from a sleep mode? Usually when my inspiron 1318 sleeps, a short press of the power-button would wake it up.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: waking up a Dell inspiron 1318 sleep mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: waking up a Dell inspiron 1318 sleep mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sleep
by mlg63 / March 21, 2009 2:44 AM PDT

This depends on the operating system and type of "sleep" you use. Standby sleep wakes with any key press or mouse movement, but Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep requires a light power key press to wake and resume and takes a little longer, but saves more power. You can change what format you use in Power Settings, Advanced Settings. Hibernation is really good for laptops to save battery power, but if you are using your laptop as a desktop replacement that's always plugged in, you can choose what's best for you.

Collapse -
my standby sleep
by ybrik_5 / March 21, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: sleep

My standby sleep also wakes up with a short press of a power button just like in hibernate mode. Is there a special setting to wake up from standby sleep using any key? or Dell Inspirons are designed to be like this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.