Phones forum

General discussion

Wait or not to wait?

by Coleman40 / March 5, 2012 3:45 AM PST

With all the new cell phones coming out in 2012, should I wait to see what is offered in the next releases or is there a "must have" cell phone out there right now? I currently am due for an upgrade but don't like the idea of being locked in to a phone that is going to be out of date soon.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wait or not to wait?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wait or not to wait?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: phone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Wait or not to wait?

All phones are out of date after, say, half a year. So, if you have a 2-year contract, you're out of date one and a half year (75% of the time). With an iPhone it's somewhat better, because Apple has a new one each year. So they take one year to be hopelessly outdated.

Buying a new unlocked unsubsidized phone and selling it on eBay half a year later is the only solution to stay up-to-date.

Kees

Collapse -
I think you got two choice
by AccessoryGeeks / March 12, 2012 2:02 AM PDT

wait for iPhone 5 until this fall?
or get Galaxy S3 in 2nd quarter.

Collapse -
Wait?
by Coleman40 / March 12, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

Waiting is something I have been doing because I can see no use to jump into another 2 year contract for a phone that I am not satisfied with. The iphone 5? sounds interesting as does the Galaxy S3. Thanks.

Collapse -
by zaidi14 / March 22, 2012 10:44 PM PDT

I think you shouldn't wait. who knows what will be next.

Collapse -
Don't wait.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 11:07 PM PDT

Remember that if you wait for the new phones later this year, you will then wonder about the phones coming in 2013, etc, etc, etc. No matter when you buy a new phone, there will be a newer/better one to be released later. Playing the waiting game is a losing proposition when it comes to electronic devices. Just get the device that best suits your current needs. Nothing wrong in waiting a couple months, just don't wait forever.

Collapse -
don't wait....
by evan_sgerald / April 1, 2012 3:00 PM PDT

since cell phone technology is changing day by day...u will have an outdated phone when a new model is launched.... grab the available one and enjoy...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.