Speakeasy forum

Wages paid by debit card

by Willy / June 17, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

Would you stand to have your wages paid to you via some debit card. then find gees galore for its use? Direct deposit, check or cash is the preferred, so why the debit card. You know why its less costly to the employer but if the employee is stuck paying some fee just to use the card and has no choice in the matter. It seems this employee tried to get things straighten out and the managers get direct deposit, so why not regular employees?

Me no likee .... Willy Happy show me the real money

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wages paid by debit card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wages paid by debit card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a clear violation of the law.....
by Josh K / June 17, 2013 12:37 PM PDT

.....which requires employers to offer employees the choice between cash or check for salary payment. A debit card with fees for every single action taken (and even charges you for NOT using it) that effectively drops the user below minimum wage is absurd. It wouldn't surprise me if the arrangement with the bank kicks a little back to the employer. I hope she wins this lawsuit.

Collapse -
Don't know about fees
by Diana Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 3:22 PM PDT

I know that a lot of employees where I work use them because they don't have a checking or savings account. I don't remember them ever saying anything about fees. I'm sure they would have complained. They complain about everything else.

Collapse -
Even if you don't have a bank account.....
by Josh K / June 17, 2013 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't know about fees

......you can still be paid by check and take it to a check-cashing place. They will charge a fee also though. If payment by debit card comes with lower (or no) fees, then that would be a good option.

Collapse -
(NT) It's better than carrying a lot of cash around.
by Diana Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Money belt, sock or bra
by Willy / June 18, 2013 2:26 AM PDT

If you're that stupid to advertise you have cash then so be it. But, as always you take your chances. It's a burden many would be willing to take. What did we do before all this plastic? -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
We had checks
by Diana Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 3:20 PM PDT

If you are making 800-1000 every two weeks, you don't want to carry that around.

Collapse -
Would you accept this?
by Willy / June 18, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

As the article stated, even to get her pay she had to activate the acct. and thus would be charged a fee. All the other fees come into play in how it would then be used. In effect, you're getting less pay or be so put upon that she's not gotten at least a "full pay amount" from the beginning. Sure, some fee applies when check cashing but that would be a 1-time fee and then the remaining cash in hand wouldn't be fee laden. For those that have no bank account of any kind, just shows how bad it is for those that don't have one. It just wreaks of possible du-du. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
who is to blame for that?
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't know about fees

Are you saying they can't get a bank account? Or simply refuse to do so?

Collapse -
Some people have problems with bank accounts
by Diana Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

Like they are always overdrawn or the IRS is after them or they are kids that have problems managing money. It is a way to learning to manage money because they cannot overspend.

Collapse -
aha, I forgot about debt collectors
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 3:19 AM PDT

Those in such condition really can't complain then about payment by a debit card.

Collapse -
Direct deposit is probably the safest
by Steven Haninger / June 18, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

When working, I resisted direct deposit for a long time. I wanted to see paper in my hand. That way, I could deposit the check but hold back some in cash at the same time. That lasted until we had some problems with mail delivery. I'd get neighbor's mail so I presumed they got mine as we had mail gone missing. I had a bill go overdue and had to talk my way out of incurring a late fee. I later was able to determine that the bill was delivered to the wrong address. I signed up for direct deposit immediately.

Collapse -
Direct deposit is here to stay
by Willy / June 18, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

Well, once the feds gone that any that received some check were informed that should or advised to go the direct deposit route. In many cases that is now the preferred way and you can't wiggle out of it depending on the nature of payment. In many ways it all makes sense, but then you still have people w/o any banking service or typical banking. It's all going to plastic or electronic means. They want to do away with money itself if allowed to. I bet in a 100yrs. or less it will so driven by plastic that it will be collectors items. *All* money the USA ever printed or minted is still worth its face value excluding only "revolutionary money notes". -----Willy Happy now that's a sound $1

Collapse -
One day
by James Denison / June 18, 2013 7:58 PM PDT

Nobody will be able to buy nor sell, without the official "mark".

Collapse -
It's pretty much a given nowadays
by Josh K / June 18, 2013 9:58 PM PDT

Unless you work at that McDonald's apparently. Even if you have a bank account, you still have to accept payment in the form of that fee-laden debit card.

Collapse -
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

Is this really a problem for their workers? McDonald's is a large corporation and anyone they hire would need some sort of tax number to even work for them. Why then wouldn't they then have the same opportunity to at least get a savings account to put direct deposit into? I'd think this would be a bigger problem for day laborers, but they take cash in hand with no tax withholding and reporting by those who hire them. Bank of America, unless they've changed, don't even require a tax number to open a bank account.

Collapse -
Tow truck drivers
by Steven Haninger / June 19, 2013 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: McDonalds

The independents have long been known for wanting cash only. I've been acquainted with a few of them. Getting paid in cash means you're on the honor system to ante up to the IRS. Any bets as to what % ever gets reported?

Collapse -
fuel excise tax refunds?
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Tow truck drivers
Collapse -
load of bull crap
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
Suzanne Martindale, staff attorney with Consumers Union, said some employers are motivated to pay wages with these payroll cards to cut the cost of distributing paper checks.

"Employers are always looking for ways to cut costs," she said. "There is incentive for employers to offer these cards but in some cases, they don't negotiate with the payroll card provider over fees."

This is some privately owned franchise supplied by McDonalds that probably has an incentive (kickback?) to do this, and there's NO WAY it's less cost than issuing checks. What should be looked into are these banks pushing this on businesses as an alternative wage payment method.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.