Networking & Wireless

Question

VPN speed

by rafatutihashi / February 26, 2013 4:07 AM PST

Hi,

I live in Brazil and in order to have US content on my network like Hulu, I need to have a VPN, the one I use is Astrill.

Here I have an internet connection of 20 MB, and 2 routers, one for my local IP and another one connected to Astrill with my US IP, the hardware I have are these:

ASUS N66U with DD-WRT 18946 v24-sp2 mega connected to Astrill
Airport Extreme (with my Brazilian IP)

Now the problem is that I have a 20Mb speed on my Airport extreme and around 4Mb speed on my ASUS when connected to the VPN and I have 2 wifi networks.

I have connected to the networks my TV, AppleTV, PS3, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 1 macbook pro.

Is there anyway to have the IP address from Astrill (US IP) and the speed of my local network in only 1 network (wifi or cable)?

Thanks in advance,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VPN speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VPN speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: VPN speed

It appears you want to get on the VPN and another (non-local) network at the same time. If you did that, that would prove the VPN is insecure and well, is not a VPN.

It might be possible to bond networks but look around and you find almost no one will enter into that discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
VPN Speed
by rafatutihashi / February 26, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: No.

How can bond networks? Would it improove my VPN connection speed?

What I need is to improve my VPN speed. for that I have changed my router (now Im using the ASUS N66U), improved my internet connection (20 Mbps now). But although all this effort, I still have a connection on my VPN router of 5Mbps top.

The perfect scenario would be an IP given by my VPN and the speed of my local network. Is it possible?

Collapse -
Re: VPN speed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: VPN Speed

The VPN speed is never higher than the connection with your ISP. You LAN is faster, so the speed of the LAN is not possible.

Secondly, the speed of the VPN depends on the Astrill server also. And, of course, the speed of the Internet between Astrill in the US and your ISP. And then there's the software overhead here and there to make it private.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
DNS service, keep the same speed of your local network
by Rotita / March 20, 2013 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: VPN speed

Its impossible to get the same connection speed as your local when using VPN.
But you can get that with the DNS service that offers some providers to open some geo blocked stream media and other restricted sites without any speed or reliability loss in terms of connection. The service is powered by your own internet connection, not by a 3rd party server you're permanently connected to, as in the case of VPN.
You can follow this beta release.
ibDNS (beta): Media Streaming with NO Speed Loss!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.