TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

VOOM vs Dish Network vs Direct TV

by psword / December 18, 2004 1:12 AM PST

I currently use Dish Network. I bought a Mitsubishi DLP WD 52525 that will be delivered next Friday. Any opinions on VOOM? According to their website they offer more HD channels than Direct or Dish. Any opinions on VOOM? Should I cancel Dish Network and get VOOM? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VOOM vs Dish Network vs Direct TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VOOM vs Dish Network vs Direct TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My experience with VOOM
by konajava / December 18, 2004 4:47 AM PST

We scheduled the installation of a new home theater system for last Saturday, Dec. 11th, and also scheduled voom service to be installed that morning. By late afternoon no one had showed up from voom, and our installers were getting ready to leave. We called voom; they could not explain why no one showed up or what to expect next. We were told to call back on Monday. On Monday, after being put on hold several times over a two hour period, we gave up and ordered comcast. What a bust!

Collapse -
VOOM NOT YET READY FOR PRIMETIME
by BONSPEED / December 18, 2004 7:58 AM PST

i looked into VOOM several months because of their sales pitch of offering more at a lower cost. it seems to me, after reading a couple dozen opinions, that they have service problems (installation) depending on your location. althought CNET gave them a high mark, VOOM has a few too many growing pains yet to overcome, at least for me. here's the link for the reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Voom__HD_satellite_system_/4505-6487_7-30919209-2.html?tag=tab

Collapse -
I've used Voom since August
by Splashman24 / December 19, 2004 3:53 AM PST

I've been a Voom subscriber since August. The picture quality has been outstanding. They have a large number of HD channels. My only complaint...they do not offer local broadcast channels. They do provide an antenna and the converter box can decode local broadcasts. But where I live I can only receive ABC over the air. It has been a disappointment on Sundays when I want to see the NFL on my widescreen and instead have to watch on my analog TV in my beadroom hooked up to cable.

I had no problems with installation. They arrived when they were supposed to. I have had no weather related outages (heavy rain) unlike when I was a Dish Network subscriber in the past.

Collapse -
Dish vs Voom
by psword / December 19, 2004 8:54 AM PST

Thank you for the information. Do you like Voom better than The Dish?

Collapse -
Dish vs Voom
by Splashman24 / December 20, 2004 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Dish vs Voom

It's hard to compare. I don't spend much time watching non-HD material on my big screen. Dish has a better selection of non-HD. Voom definately has Dish beat on the HD front. I feel I made a great choice in Voom.

Collapse -
More Voom questions
by Patriciadsmith / December 19, 2004 7:50 PM PST

So..........no networks from Voom?? ALso, it appears there are no PPV channels either, is this correct? My other concern was since they are relatively new, do you all feel they are a stable company? If you had to choose between Directv and Dish for HD what would you do?

Collapse -
DirecTV with TiVo baby!
by martinwilliamh / December 20, 2004 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: More Voom questions

I have DirecTV with TiVo and LOVE it! I say get that. It's cheaper than cable and right now the combo box is only $50 (TiVo is having a rebate). You can record 2 things at the same time, watch a third you've already recorded. Set up Wishlists to grab any type of show you want (by actor, title, keyword, dates, whatever!).

TiVo just did come out with a HD DirecTV/TiVo box. It's around $1000 though. I say buy the standard version, wait a year or two for HD prices to come down (and more channels to broadcast in it) then buy a HD box.

Collapse -
VOOM DIRECTTV DISHNETWORK
by bgold / December 29, 2004 12:02 AM PST

They are pretty much the same as far as offerings. 500 channels and nothing on. Voom has a brand new satiellite dedicated to hdtv only. customer service sucks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.