TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

VOOM Satellite, Anyone got it?

by csenone / February 5, 2005 3:38 PM PST

I just got a mits 52" dlp and am now in the market for my new hd provider. I hear that the hd signal and sd signal from satellite providers, as opposed to cable, produced a much clearer picture. Can anyone verify that. If thats true, I definately want to go with a dish. Directv comes to mind first, but they only offer something like 5 or 6 hd channels. Same with dishnetwork. I have been talking to voom and they tell me they have over 35 hd channels, (21 voom origionals), plus a nice package of cable favorites. She also told me that they are sending another satellite in march and will have 70 hd channels and over 200 all together. That sounds pretty legit to me, but I am not sure how reliable they are or how good the picture is. Does anyone know?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VOOM Satellite, Anyone got it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VOOM Satellite, Anyone got it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it dead yet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2005 10:59 PM PST
Collapse -
RE: VOOM
by badge671 / February 12, 2005 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Is it dead yet?

I admit, I haven't researched VOOM lately. But when I did, I decided against it. It may have the most HD channels, but did you really take a look at their lineup? The channels were kind of... silly. Just random, useless programming. Sure, may be nice to look at, but not at all what I'd want to watch. Seems like very boring programming. You're not going to find your regular/favorite channels and movies in HD with VOOM, any more than you are with DirecTV. Again, just my personal view, but for me, I'd be paying extra for HD content that I wouldn't even watch.

Collapse -
Voom
by Splashman24 / February 26, 2005 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: RE: VOOM

I'm a Voom subscriber. It has more HD programming than any other service. Granted a few of the HD stations are not worth watching but many are. I get the HD feed of all of the "premium" (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Encore and movie Channel). They look fantastic. There is one negative that I do have with Voom...the reliance of over the air local HD stations. They provide an over the air antenna. I live in an area that is away from major metropolitan areas. I can recieve the majority of the networks but Fox failed to come in. This was a major disappointment on Super Bowl Sunday.

My only fear is with the sale of some assets to Dish Network, Voom will disappear. Overall I am very happy with their service.

Collapse -
Voom Satellite Shutting Down in 30 Days.
by Jstrong01 / March 1, 2005 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Voom

I work for a custom Home Integrator and we are/were a Voom retailer. We have Voom here in our office and it looks beautiful on every HD set that we bring in. We absolutely love it. Unfortunately, we just found out that Voom has shut down. This is a great loss to all HDTV owners because now they will never be able to experience what we did here in our shop. I mean, where else can you see the Playboy channel in HD? No where! We will all mourn this great loss and hope for someone to step up and give us the opportunity again. R.I.P. VOOM!

Collapse -
Nevermind that last entry! False alarm!
by Jstrong01 / March 2, 2005 9:36 PM PST

Nevermind, even though the VOOM website claims that it will be shutting down this is only a false alarm because the two owners are fighting about whether to keep it on or shut it down. They will be staying on though because one owner bought out the other owners' shares. We'll see what will happen next!

Collapse -
It's dead
by jr3313 / March 12, 2005 6:53 AM PST

Whoever thinks that Voom will be alive at the end of March is in for a rude awakening. Voom is wholly owned by Cablevision and the Board of Directors of the company has decided to kill the perpetual Money loser. The original shut down date was for the end of February but they gave Charles Dolan (started Calevision, but is no longer on the board) 30 days to find someone who will fund the service. Is anyone going to pony up a hundred million just to lose another hundred or so over the next few years? The answer is a simple NO! Voom has already sold the satellite and ground support station and equipment to EchoStar (Dish Network) and will shut down at the end of the month. After going through all that I am very sad to say this because I recently swithed to Voom from DirecTV and the service has been phenomenal, No rain fade, clear channels, a ton of HD channels, and no upfront costs. Hopefully someone will buy them before the end of the month but I can't imagine

Collapse -
Voom is Excellent
by Takoda / March 18, 2005 10:20 AM PST

I've had Voom for two weeks and think it is GREAT! Many of their HD channels are more educational than the usual junk that is broadcast by the networks. Signal is superb. I'm out of reach for over the air so I still have Dish for networks/pbs and VOOM for all other programming which is more extensive. Once you have HD programming there is no going back.

Collapse -
I have the dish network 811 system and I just added VOOM
by stewart norrie / June 10, 2005 10:05 AM PDT

The dish 811 hi-def system is awsome with all the outputs you need for your hi-def t.v. and dolby dig. sound and with the over the air Hi-Def tuner I receive over 9 local stations in stunning-hi-def and thats over 70 miles from San Francisco, with a cheap outside antenna Also I pay $39.00 per month for basic service and the Hi-Def package, and I just added VOOM for an extrea $5.oo per month cant beat that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.