Laptops forum

General discussion

Vongo removal from HP laptops

by docco239 / August 28, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

Has anyone figured out how you would remove Vongo from HP laptops.
I have tried Add/Remove Programs to uninstall. However, that results in a "Fatal Error during Installation" message. HP support acknowledges that to be the case and offers a $19.95 service to remove this software.
Also, the machine wants to reboot every few minutes in order for the "new changes to take effect".

Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vongo removal from HP laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vongo removal from HP laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP/Compaq Laptop & VONGO
by pa_trick / September 2, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

I just purchased a new laptop for a very specific purpose and am trying to remove ALL non- configuration related software, including vongo. However, this is creating numerous problems.

Since it appears to be reinstalling and erroring in the process at every reboot of the system, we have now offically classed this software as a VIRUS and want it removed Immediately!

It is bad enough that new computers come installed with so many "pay me more" software that you have to remove to get where you need a configuration... but when one does not even remove in a well behaved manner, it causes me to question ever using that product in the future.

I have contacted VONGO and HP and will post any replies that I recieve.

Patrick

Collapse -
vongo nuisance
by nypdxcop / September 27, 2006 2:24 PM PDT

I agree with Patrick 100%.This is absolutely unacceptable. I have expended entirely too much time trying to rid my brand new hp laptop computer of this virus. Yes, virus and that is what it should be classified as. If anyone knows how to rid us of this, please help. There is not one reason i can think of that we should have to pay one penny to remove something being shoved down our throats that we did NOT ask for. I have 3 dell laptops in my home and this is the first hp that I have invested in and I am questioning my choice. Will certainly re-think future purchases, I dont think HP really cares.

Collapse -
Vongo Nuisance/HP Scam
by Cardenal1 / February 6, 2010 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: vongo nuisance

Patrick, please keep us posted on the answer that you'll get from HP on how to remove this annoying Vongo nuisance from my HP computer. I have the same symptoms and I've done the same troubleshooting that you've described in your notes with no positive results. To me, I agree with nypdxcop that this is nothing more than a SCAM from HP providing that I even did two hard disk recovery and still present.
Best Buy will not give any feed back unless you pay the $85.00 for the investigatigation and $130.00 for the virus removal which one of the associetes strongly believe, based on the description, that is a virus of course.
I will contact HP to ask for a explanation of this nuisance and instructions on how to remove it permanently with no extra cost other than what I already paid for my HP Pavilion laptop of $1,250.00. what a rip-off!!! I should've kept my DELL.

Collapse -
VOngo removal ....
by An_Informant / April 11, 2011 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Vongo Nuisance/HP Scam

restart comp and goto f8.. safe mode (with nw). open msconfig in'run'. browse to startup tab and remove the item from the list ' isuspm '. restart the comp again in the same mode... Now go to add/remove , and uninstall the VOngo .... will get uninstalled without any issues.
P.S. Vongo is not a virus.. its a software to download / view movies... just like the new software called ' Graboid '.. and yes, vongo is an old and obsolete sw, was available in the 2005-2006 model nbs... if any1 calls hp... they will charge for the support , but it is still 1/3rd the cost of the geek squad....!!!!

any issues regarding hp nbs...lemme know...
From ... The Informant...!!!!! Silly

Collapse -
My Last HP/Compaq latptop
by holiveira / June 5, 2007 1:37 PM PDT

For the same reason already described here so many times, I am about to through this laptop in the trash bin and buy an IBM.

The VONGO, refuses to be uninstalled... I miss the time when all the software used to come in separate medias (CDs) so we could decide what we wanted.

Even the games provided by HP are "PAY ME MORE" software.

Bye Bye HP.

Collapse -
Issue regarding Vongo
by G.Santhosh13 / September 24, 2008 6:09 PM PDT

If you contact the HP chat support or email support, then you are going to get a sure response and you are going to have a good interaction with the customer support people.

Collapse -
Vongo Response
by burpiecicerchi / September 25, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue regarding Vongo

No offense, but big deal. That's the problem no one is getting anywhere with either HP customer service or Vongo themselves. This sounds to me like a huge Scam that Vongo and Hewlett Packard began along time ago, knowing that they would make a ton of money either by the customers using the product or trying to delete it. Sadly, enough people have been made to hate HP because of this one problem and how they are handling it. I too have HP and loved it up until this point. And, now I will never buy a HP again simply because of this. SO I'd have to say as always what goes around--comes around. Dumb move to the CEO's of HP! You may have caused, in your greed, their slow, but sure demise.

Collapse -
deleting vongo
by lhort / October 10, 2009 10:37 AM PDT

I went to "start", "control panel", "programs - uninstall a program", clicked on vongo, then "uninstall". When I tried to restart my computer it said that vongo was stopping it from shutting down. I clicked to 'close the program'. When I restarted my computer, it was gone. Maybe I am just lucky....

Collapse -
uninstalling Vongo, not that difficult.
by petrap417 / October 1, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

I first used CC cleaner to uninstall vongo,went into all programs, at the start menu,I scrolled down and it was still there. hummm....I then used revo unistaller, in the advanced mode and uninstalled vongo, following the prompts until I came to where it said to look carefully at the bolded items, and checked those boxes as well and deleted those items...it was successful. When I went to the run menu...I typed in regedit...opened that up...went to edit...find...a box will appear...type in the box vongo...and click on find next....when it finds any remaining regestry items they will be highlighted one at a time, right click them and delete them, keep doing that until it says finished searching the registry then you have successfully gotten rid of that program... I am running Vista 32 bit operating system

Collapse -
vongo removal
by photog86 / September 6, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

I've written HP for info on removing or uninstalling vongo: this is what they say to do, (haven't tried it yet, but I will)

Uninstall VONGO Software:

1. Restart the Notebook and keep Tapping F8.
2. Select Safe Mode and press Enter
3. Click on Start, select Run, type "msconfig" press Enter.
4. Click on Startup tab and uncheck the check box besides "isuspm"
5. Click OK and restart the system for the new settings to take effect.
Kate: Note: After you restart the machine you may receive a dialogue box stating 'System is running using Selective Startup', Check 'Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when Windows Starts' and click OK.
Kate: Now, restart the Notebook again and go into Safe Mode by tapping F8. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs

Locate the Vongo Software and click on Remove to uninstall it.

If this does not resolve the issue, you may have to manually delete the files.
Kate: To do that:

1. Double click on My Computer
2. Double click on C Drive
3. Double click on Program Files
4. Select the Vongo Software folder and press Delete.
5. Close the Window
6. Right click on Recycle Bin folder and select Empty Recycle Bin

This will remove the Software.
Kate: Now, run the Windows Installation Cleanup Utility, this will remove the registry entries for the Software.

You can download the Utility from the given below link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

Note: Please do not click on the link. Copy and paste the complete link in the address bar of the Internet Explorer.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does:

? Provide a dialog box where you can select one or more programs that were installed by Windows Installer. You select the programs on the Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only the Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs.

? Remove the files and registry settings that make up the Windows Installer configuration information for programs that you select.

Collapse -
successful vongo removal--THANKS A BUNCH
by nypdxcop / September 27, 2006 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: vongo removal

It wasnt until your last instruction that rid me of this albatross. Thank you so much for the info. I am finally Vongo free. I hope more people read and benefit from your message.

Collapse -
Thanks
by andresblanco600 / September 28, 2006 3:12 AM PDT

Yeah, Thanks mucho,

I was looking at the vongo contemplating removal, and now I can happily!

Woo Hoo!

Collapse -
OH NO NOT ANOTHER BATTLE WITH HP CRAP/SPYWARE!!
by rexlperrry / October 8, 2006 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I should have learned from the bad 8000t i finally sent back! Plus I have a compaq presario v2400 cto. Hey guys and gals lets stay in touch or start a group on the hp 8000/9000t to help each other out! Its fun that my bother in kc that has a large business with all hp computers,notebook, everything can just call a special # and fed ex pick what ever goes wrong, and they send out a new one asap! I did just buy a new HP DV9000T 10/06/06! and printer! Please keep us informed and thank you very much kate! jerry

Collapse -
May not be able to uninstall programs in safe mode
by TDurden1937 / October 19, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

If this is the case go to http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=9233 to download SafeMSI.zip. Follow instructions ie extract SafeMSI.exe and start it when you are in Safe Mode. This should start the windo$e installer. Then you should be able to uninstall programs from add/remove in the control panel.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just tried it and it worked.

This kind of crap chaffs my butt. I wonder how much Vongo paid HP to include their software or how much stock HP has in Vongo.

Thanks a billion for the tip.

Roger Ramjet

Collapse -
May not be able to uninstall programs in safe mode
by TDurden1937 / October 19, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

If this is the case go to http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=9233 to download SafeMSI.zip. Follow instructions ie extract SafeMSI.exe and start it when you are in Safe Mode. This should start the windo$e installer. Then you should be able to uninstall programs from add/remove in the control panel.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just tried it and it worked.

This kind of crap chaffs my butt. I wonder how much Vongo paid HP to include their software or how much stock HP has in Vongo.

Thanks a billion for the tip.

PS Previously when I tried to remove this ripoff I trashed my sustem and had to reinstall. Thank you HP and Vongo.

Collapse -
another successful Vongo removal
by jsmiller43 / October 27, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Thanks for posting the instructions...I was going nuts trying to get rid of this!!

Collapse -
Wow HP uses an interesting
by orlbuckeye / July 27, 2007 12:11 AM PDT

concept in reality you are paying for them to put Vongo on and then you have to pay them to remove it!!!!!! Thats double dipping.

Collapse -
Another grateful, Vongo-free HP Laptop Owner
by grasspendergrass / November 20, 2006 3:30 AM PST

Thank you for the detailed Vongo removal procedure. What a pain and utter nuisance. Glad to have that behind me.

Collapse -
VONGO FREE - had to do all four child accounts - arrggghhhh
by gcarper / November 22, 2006 11:05 AM PST

Is there a way to report this as an invasive advertising technique?

VONGO will never be used in this house - they just wasted 90 minutes of my time. I will be noting this in my review of the HP DV9060us as a negative. Think I will drop it 2 points on a ten point scale due to the software from Vongo.

Collapse -
Vongo Removal Help Please
by shekharbarthakur / January 15, 2007 2:03 PM PST

I am suffering the pain of Vongo removal from my recently purchased Compaq laptop. I am new to the world of laptops and these stupid software preloaded to these computers. I tried to uninstall using Remove in Add/Remove programs. Something went wrong and it now says everytime I log-in to my laptop...."Vongo Install fatal error dll". I have tried everything I could to do away with this stupid software/malaware. May I please request a good soul to send me a solution at asbarthakur@gmail.com please. God bless you!

Collapse -
Vongo
by deepdaveman / August 25, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

I am trying to get rid of this a...hole software for the last one year. This has wasted my serveal precious hours. HP you didn't lose me only but many other customers. I will NEVER EVER buy HP laptop in my life. If HP CTO is litening, please kick out VONGO from your life.
Your life will be peaceful in heaven.

Collapse -
Vongo shmongo
by sshorter / December 29, 2008 1:43 PM PST

Go to the Vongo folder on your C drive (the top level folder) and right click it - get the properties menu, then click the security tab. You might have to look at the list of users and permissions granted. Even though you are an administrator the system might see you as a regular user - so change the permissions by clicking on your user name and increase your power. Then delete the Vongo folder and all its contents.

Collapse -
Vongo
by wmbriner / January 21, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Vongo shmongo

I tried to remove Vongo got a message that said "are you sure, removing this folder could cause other programs not to work. Anyway it was something like that and I was afraid to continue. Will deleting the c:/program files/vongo folder dammage other programs?

Collapse -
The proceedure mentioned above worked very well.
by Gmun396627 / July 14, 2009 11:22 AM PDT

though I couldn't get the last little remnants to die, the one last wee bit is now totally non functional !

Collapse -
Thank you so much
by westforkparty / December 18, 2006 2:03 PM PST

Thank you so much for your help on the removal of Vongo. What a pain in the ***. Thanks to you it's gone. I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
This Works
by rgptaz / December 30, 2006 2:49 AM PST

I used this on my wife's HP and it worked. Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Eureka Vongo-less
by malikebren / January 18, 2007 6:01 AM PST

Thanks for the guidance! Getting this pesky rascal off my wife's laptop has earned me points that will last for weeks. You are the bomb!

As a side note though; I was never able to get rid of Vongo in add/remove programs. It still shows up there even after trying the 'SafeMSI.exe' tip from TDurden1937. However; in safe mode, I found (via search of C:) it under the Administrator account (not under program files). Since deleting it there it isn't launching the irritating little stress giving nuisance every 5 minutes. That is totally adequate for now... I was so inspired I joined CNET just to say thanks!

Collapse -
Vongo removal - extra step
by go_dmf / January 21, 2007 5:32 AM PST

First off, thanks for posting these instructions. And I had to chuckle when I found that there's a link from Wikipedia's "Vongo" entry to this thread.

I was curious as to whether anyone had tried to add a new account after thinking they successfully removed this garbage bloatware. I did and found it was still there or at least enough of it to want to install itself!

I didn't want to simply stop the Installshield Updater "isuspm" to mask the problem. I wanted to know why, anytime I created a new account, despite there being NO vongo crap on my system it still attempted to run the install and of course failed because vongo.msi is long gone.

After some digging I found the following: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=319974

After recreating the "Default User" using the initial account I'd set up and removed vongo with I am not completely Vongo-free.

Hope this extra bit of information is useful!

Collapse -
Windows Clean up
by wmbriner / January 21, 2009 4:38 AM PST

Can the windows cleanup utility be used on Vista as well as XP?

Collapse -
The Windows Installation Cleanup Utility is key
by Friedrich2 / February 25, 2007 1:56 AM PST

Thank you for the link to the cleanup utility. Its use was key in exorcising my machine of the Vongo nuisance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.