Speakeasy forum

Question

Volunteers for Mar One mission wanted

by Willy / March 18, 2013 5:26 AM PDT
http://news.yahoo.com/video/wanted-people-willing-die-mars-190400251.html

At least 8k amount of people are willing to go already. Image the desire to go then realize there is "no return trip", so are you willing? Let's be clear about this, it's for all the marbles and you'll televised the results back to the blue marble. There better be some huge hauls or Ramini noodles and hot sauce for me. -----Willy Happy
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Volunteers for Mar One mission wanted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Volunteers for Mar One mission wanted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
too old and lazy here
by Roger NC / March 18, 2013 8:59 AM PDT

practical way to settle Mars, but they do have to understand there will be no rescue missions.

Think of the possiblity of an extraterrestial bug coming back to earth, that would solve populations problems probably.

So you start a colony, drop off supplies and a few new couples every year. After 3 or 4 generations, the risk would be diminised.

But no one born and raised on Mars would ever be comfortable on Earth I bet.

You want to water mars? fly some rocket engines out to the asteroids, find an ice ball about the size of mount everest and crash it into mars before you settle it.

Collapse -
No water
by Willy / March 18, 2013 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: too old and lazy here

Its suspected that water was already on Mars, long ago. Due to the thin atmosphere it was lost to space. So any new water no matter how it got there would have to be stored. I guess everything would be in some form of recycle system.

I couldn't go if I wanted to as I take "meds" and the local Walgreens couldn't deliver. Wink -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
(NT) plenty of ice asteroids from what I understand
by Roger NC / March 19, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No water

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Eight thousand volunteers already?
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2013 6:10 AM PDT

I wonder how many are men that are far behind in their alimony and child support.

Collapse -
(NT) volunteers need to be equally male and female
by Roger NC / March 18, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well then, maybe when they show up for departure,
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

they'll be surprised that their ex wives had signed up too.

Collapse -
heh heh
by James Denison / March 18, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

send them on separate rockets, discover it when they get there.

Collapse -
(NT) Wouldn't want to be there but a hidden camera would be fun.
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: heh heh
Collapse -
I'd like to send Linday Lohan there
by James Denison / March 18, 2013 11:37 PM PDT

Maybe I'd not have to see so many headlines all the time about her and she could drink and speed around bumping into things all she wanted to on Mars and nobody here would care much.

Collapse -
If it were my choice.........
by Tony Holmes / March 19, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

I'd send the "Shamwow Guy" to annoy Lohan. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Is that Kanye West?
by James Denison / March 19, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL, maybe I can get that in....
by James Denison / March 19, 2013 3:32 AM PDT

...a body towel for after the shower? I bet if you don't wring it out it really starts to sour and stink!

Collapse -
Selection
by Willy / March 19, 2013 2:17 AM PDT

I would think that during the selection process any sort of conflicts would eliminate any entanglements. As for anything so-called "mate related' that may not be so early in these missions. While there maybe couples or married types, overall that side of things would already be taken care of. Further, you don't want to increase the population too early allowing human nature to drain resources of a limited colony. having said human nature, the overall idea is a harmonious colony that can survive the actual task at hand, to live on Mars. It may start as a "package deal" but some time it may break down to what works or becomes the norm.

The link shows "capsules" that may have been converted or delivered as housing, etc., I would think a more "underground approach" is suited for housing as local materials of Mars dirt is bound to provide more protection.

Other ideas on this have suggested prior missions dropping down so-called factories or self-running mini-preparation setups that do whatever is required so the latter missions have a running start-up. That also would show what works or is required at least initially. Hardships are bound be typical fare I assume from the git. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How do we create a "harmonious colony"?
by Steven Haninger / March 19, 2013 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Selection

I'd say all would need to submit to a frontal lobotomy first.

Collapse -
harmony is probably easier when
by Roger NC / March 19, 2013 9:55 AM PDT

the environment is out to kill you every day.

If you have to depend on each other daily just to survive............

Collapse -
underground?
by James Denison / March 19, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

Maybe better above ground with rocks and soil piled around them which could accomplish the same without having to dig. Also make it easier for a nuclear powered bulldozer unit. Food growing sections could be buried, sort of like was done to grow pineapples in England years ago. That would provide plenty of insulation and thermal value. I don't see such colony surviving without a nuclear power source for heat, and heat created electrical power since sunlight is weaker there. There may also be cave systems which can be utilized. Maybe deep reaching radar can find such from orbit.

Collapse -
maybe for a few years kids would have to be
by Roger NC / March 19, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

banned, but eventually no kids means no mission for the society.

I think even tho a lot of us choose not to have children, a society without kids after a few years would become mentally disturbed groupwise.

I think it's probably hardwired to an extent to need kids to build a future for or otherwise it becomes pointless.

Without all the distractions our "modern" society environment provides, I would wonder if kids are needed as a promise there is a future. Not every individual would need a kid, but the society would.

Collapse -
(NT) Weren't most of those named Bush?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 2:22 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.