Samsung forum

General discussion

Volume goes automatically to 0 on my Samsung LCD TV

by hood4 / January 24, 2009 9:34 PM PST

Hi,

I have a Samsung LA32M51BS LCD TV. The last few days something strange is happening to the TV: When I turn on the TV, the volume is at 0. If I try ty turn up the colume, nothing happens (though the blue colored light on the TV is flashing). If I try to turn up the volume by pressing the + button on the TV itself, the volume goes up, but as soon as I release the button, the sound goes down to 0 again! I tried to take the batteries out of the remote to see if it's the remote that's messing up, but it didn't help. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this problem? Someone experienced the same?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Volume goes automatically to 0 on my Samsung LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Volume goes automatically to 0 on my Samsung LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Panel buttons...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2009 2:12 PM PST

hood4,

From the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like the panel button on your television (volume down) is somehow always enacted. This would explain why the bolume button on the remote doesn't work, but the volume button on the televison does.

From here, that's the best estimate I can give based on the symptoms.

I'd recommend setting up a service repair for the bezel's button panel.

--HDTech

Collapse -
volume mal function LCD TV
by cosmodiver / June 2, 2010 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Panel buttons...

I have recently had the same problem (volume changing uncontrollably after
a few minutes) on my 5 yrs old Samsung LE26R51BD.
I disconnected the set of buttons on the side frame of the TV as suggested -
this did not help the problem at all.
Help please

Collapse -
volume mal function LCD TV
by cosmodiver / June 4, 2010 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Panel buttons...

I have recently had the same problem (volume changing uncontrollably after
a few minutes) on my 5 yrs old Samsung LE26R51BD.
I disconnected the set of buttons on the side frame of the TV as suggested -
this did not help the problem at all.
Help please

Collapse -
volume control on samsung lcd
by shawna2277 / February 26, 2009 12:46 AM PST

The exact same thing is happeneing to me!

one night it was fine. the next day the volume was 0 and wouldn't budge with the Comcast remote or the Samsung remote. the volume graphic would stay up. i couldn't use the menu, mute it or anything. After a few hours, i was able to turn it up again but after a few minutes it would start going down on it's own. This went on all night. the next morning (today) it seemed fine, but I don't know if it will keep working.

Collapse -
Did you find a solution
by munjuluri / September 11, 2009 4:11 PM PDT

Hi
Did you find a solution, because I am also facing the exact same issue.
thanks
ravi

Collapse -
TV automatically returning to sound 0
by 01jd02 / September 20, 2009 8:30 PM PDT

I've got a Samsung LA32R7 LCD TV and I'm having the same problem of the sound showing on the display at all times and set at 0 - the remote won't work and if I increase the sound on the side controls on the TV it automatically goes back to 0 as soon as my figure is removed from the button.

This just started happening whilst the TV was turned on.

Collapse -
Was this fixed?
by jnrey / May 29, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

I have a LN T3232 bought in 2008 and the same thing started happening today when I turned it on. The volume bar remains on the screen and nothing (other than turning on the TV) can be accessed by the remote. The TV button volume control will sometimes hold the volume for several seconds but then the bar returns and the volume goes back to 0.

The Samsung rep was useless. Is this an easy fix if I pay for a technician?

Collapse -
To buy or not to buy
by jnrey / June 4, 2010 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Was this fixed?

BTW, I meant the Samsung tech I called was useless, not the person here Happy I had a generic TV repairman look at it and he said it was the motherboard and to just replace the TV but he didn't give any sign that he knew what the heck he was doing or talking about.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Auditory619 / July 4, 2010 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: To buy or not to buy

I have the same problem. Sometimes the t.v. turns all the way up, sometimes the t.v. turns all the way down. Sometimes it works fine. Either way i wouldnt buy another samsung again. especially if there is no solution. Im going to have to get a new t.v. and this thing is hardly a year old

Collapse -
Sound going down to 0
by dejan2008 / October 21, 2010 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

I have a same problem on my 18 months old Samsung LN32A550 - Soudns recently started going down to 0 from time to time. It defenetly is not broken or faulty volume buttone on the TV, because it sometimes works fine and sometime it does not independent of you using Volume butotn on Remote for TV, or Cable (Verizon FIOS) or buttons on side of TV - all buttons work fine, just that sometimes Volume keeps turning down to 0 by itself. Software problem. Only fix (not very reoliable) is to turn it off and wait few seconds, try again. After few tires, it starts working...

Any other fixes anyone has found (other than call the tech, which will tell me to buy new TV, I have three Samsung HDTV TVs but will not buy another one if I have to replce them after 18 months)

Collapse -
My 4 year old Samsung Vol. goes to 0 too
by clarityunlimited / October 30, 2010 10:23 AM PDT

My 4 year old Samsung started shooting the volume down to zero about 3 weeks ago. I've tried everything but nothing makes it better. Every once in a while it works fine on its own - most of the time not. It's not a problem with the remote nor the side buttons as they will allow me to change the volume - but the instant I let go of a button - the volume bar on the screen (and the actual sound) scoot back to zero. So, so frustrating - and, of course, no longer under warranty. Next tv won't be Samsung

Collapse -
Does anyone have a workarround for the volume issue on LCDs?
by dejan2008 / November 3, 2010 4:33 AM PDT

Any worarrounds anyone found? I hate to spend to money on tech to tell me TV is not repearable, when new one you can buy for $3-400. This should not be happening to so many pretty new TVs, seem they are all LCD so they should have a recall of a bad part...

Collapse -
Volume goes to 0
by dejan2008 / December 15, 2010 1:20 AM PST

I fixed mine myself, opened the TV from the back, disconnected the connector for TV controlls on the side of TV, now I controll it via Remote only but everything works fine! BTW, the Samsung Techician in the area (No. VA), called me back twice and never had time to talk and set up an appointment to come fix it for me! lol

Collapse -
For Samsung TV
by kevinl85 / March 11, 2011 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Volume goes to 0

This really works. I just fixed my TV, about 20 minutes ago. No technician needed. It was really easy to do Thanks

Collapse -
hey
by my-tech / March 11, 2011 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: For Samsung TV

you could also hook it up to a stereo ?

Collapse -
my -tech
by kevinl85 / March 11, 2011 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: hey

I'm not sure if you could hook it up to a stereo. I think the problem would still exist it seems to be in the side control Board. It's one wire, and it seems to cure the problem. I use my 46 inch as a monitor for my computer so that on screen was quite annoying.

Collapse -
Please help!
by MMgirl / December 21, 2011 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: For Samsung TV

Hi,

My TV is having the same issue. Could you please tell me how to take out
the side panel motherboard and correct the buttons. I has opened the
back panel, but I'm afraid that removing the motherboard may affect
other parts of the TV. I really appreciate for your help.

Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
The issue is not the mother board
by HISS03 / January 12, 2012 6:23 PM PST
In reply to: Please help!

Hi there,

The issue is not the MoBo but the side panel controls. You should be able to see the wire where it plugs into the button control board. On my LN40A500 this wire is hardwired at the IR interface board and runs over to the right side of the TV to the button control board. Gently disconnect it there. This worked for me and others in this forum. BTW, the Mother Board that someone else referred to is probably the AV board or the power supply board. The AV board is less than $50 (US) and the power supply board is right about $100 (US). Someone quoted $350 for a new mother board and advised to just buy another TV. I have worked on TVs since the middle 70's and my Samsung is one of the better designs that I have seen.

Good luck,

Joe

Collapse -
Thanks Joe
by mitzicaroline / February 13, 2012 6:05 AM PST

Hi Joe
Thank you for your tec support I had all the above problems and followed your instructions and did the job tv back to normal so once again thanks

Collapse -
FIXED!!!!!!!! :D
by aquamanuy / August 6, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
LaughLove Hey Joe, THANKS for your advice!
yesterday afternoon, we opened the TV, unplugged the volume button's board from the motherboard and VOILA!!!!!
it is PERFECTLY working without any malfunction of the volume!

we're so relieved we hadnt spent any money on it, because we were already thinking we should buy another TV!!!

again THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HappyLaugh
Collapse -
Thank you Joe
by jorgejp / December 8, 2013 11:47 AM PST

After almost two years I was able to use your tip. I have a 5 years old Samsung Model LNT4661FX. I just wanted to mention that the little connecting cable is on the right side as you said, but my TV had three cables going to that area. It was the little one on the bottom. The TV works great now. Thank you

Collapse -
Samsung LED
by shansford / July 1, 2014 5:57 PM PDT

Will this work for a 55 inch LED samsung? With the wires inside?

Collapse -
To HISS03
by ziggzigg / July 25, 2014 11:16 PM PDT

Hi
And thanks; I removed the back cover off my Samsung model No: "lots of letters and numbers" feeling confident after consuming a rather robust bottle of Barossa Shiraz ......proceeded to take a number of photos of the rear "dooings" .... just thought it was the appropriate thing to do ( just in case it all went pear shape) and with the authority vested in me by the power of Barossa and the vintage Nike T shirt i was wearing ( logo, Just do it) i steeled myself to the task in hand; this was not the time for the meek at hart, this is the time where one stands up to be counted, to be resolute, to square your jaw, to boldly go where no non geek has gone before. The blue wire, or, the red.......what would Neo do??? distant drum roll as i disconnected the the wire leading to the side panel controls eureka!! I have overcome the "matrix like" litany perpetrated by the secret order of TV repairmen: "tsk, tsk, the habberjabber has shorted the krabbernakle which has caused the dual dyper interface to run rampant with your synapses....in short, it's gunna cost. Once again John Citizen has triumphed over insurmountable odds. Thank you Barossa! Thank you Nike! And of cause, thank you HISS03

Collapse -
Whoop!
by Railly95 / April 15, 2015 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: To HISS03
ziggzigg's post made me laugh and, copying his approach (a bottle of Italian red and a resulting spirit of derring-do), I opened up the back of my 5 year old Samsung TV, disconnected the little plug to the side control panel and resolved this annoying problem!
Thanks to Joe and the others on here who suggested this resolution. Love

<div>~Another female with a screwdriver
</div>
Collapse -
Joe, god bless you
by x718style / August 15, 2014 9:51 AM PDT

I've got a HP/Plasma TV (almost 10 yrs old). I also had the same issue for past couple of days.
Got tired of it and was about to throw out on the street until I found this.
Joe, I don't know how to thank you bro. you are the genius.
Thanks and god bless Wink

-CS

Collapse -
volume
by smile1lady / October 18, 2014 1:19 PM PDT

thank you hiss this worked for me,, now I dont have to trash my tv,,

Collapse -
Joe is a genius
by NDR57 / November 1, 2014 3:43 AM PDT

We just encountered the same problem with our four-year-old Samsung TV. The volume went all the way up or all the way down out of nowhere, overriding both the remote and the side panel buttons.

I Googled, found Joe's two-year-old post, and followed the instructions. (Take off the back and disconnect the little lead to the side panel buttons.)

Worked like a charm. Joe, you saved us a lot of money and a needless trip to Best Buy!

Thanks,
Nancy

Collapse -
On/off
by Eagen5 / November 1, 2014 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Joe is a genius

I just unplugged the TV and the sound went back to normal. But Samsung has a major issue after reading this thread. Don't know if I'd buy another.

Collapse -
In Reply to: The issue is not the mother board by HISS03
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 3, 2014 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Joe is a genius

Hi NDR57,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry that you (and anyone else) had that problem. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in the future. We'd like to help however we can.

Thanks,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung tv volume goes off sporadically
by aleone18 / January 6, 2015 11:40 PM PST

Hi, is there a video illustrating how to remove the back of a tv? There are over a dozen screws and several back sections.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.