Car Tech forum

General discussion

Voltage Stabilizers

by alfadoctor / May 17, 2005 4:52 PM PDT

On Ebay I see there is a device called a Voltage Stabilizer put out by several manufacturers that claim having a stable voltage will actually improve performance. This is the first time I have seen something like this. Before I buy it I would like to hear from those that know if this is worth the money or not. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voltage Stabilizers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voltage Stabilizers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Voltage stabalizer
by dj51 / May 24, 2005 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Voltage Stabilizers

I'm not sure why you need a voltage stabalizer on your car? Most all components already use a zener stabalizer if they need one!! The only critical component on most cars is the computer, and it is already regulated to +5v -5v and 12v, so using an other regulator will make no difference.The voltage from your alternator is also regulated to about 14v when it is charging properly and only under very high electrical loads, at low idle will your voltage drop to around 12v ,or your Battery needs to be replaced. I wouldn't waste my money on a stabalizer and would buy a good battery instead.

Collapse -
possible merit...
by coldfire7 / November 4, 2005 6:21 PM PST
In reply to: Voltage stabalizer

saw this message while googling, thought i might give my 2 canadian cents on the matter...

as shady as these may sound, and what i originally thought of them, upon closer inspection they may actually have some merit.

really the term they use, ''voltage stabilizer'', is just something that is generic that is given by the salesman with no electrical knowledge.

it seems all these things consist of are a bunch of capacitors. they say to put these in series with the battery i believe, so it would effectively be in parallel with the rest of the cars components. two possible advantages (from a theory perspective):

1) due to the nature that voltage across a capacitor can NOT change instantaneously, then yes technically it will keep the voltage that each component in the circuit sees ''stable'' since v1=v2=...=v for components in parallel.

2) another matter i have thought about is electrical noise (RF interference). i don't really know too much about this, but capacitors can be used in a circuit to actually reduce electrical noise. it mentions it briefly here:

HOWEVER, i am still skeptical about these since they seem to be heavily marketed from these ebay and low-grade discount retailers...some testing would have to be done to really see what they do and make sure there are no negative effects...

- Aaron

Collapse -
well I do not recommend using this stabiliser
by supercars / November 4, 2005 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: possible merit...

there is a reason to it.If ur car is new ur warranty will get cancelled immediately and the cars are well tested before they are sent out.Do not buy something that will intefere with the electrical systems of the car as it may happen that u may not be able to start the car.

Collapse -
yes, do not use on new cars
by coldfire7 / November 5, 2005 6:10 AM PST

i agree. you do not want to void your warranty.

really even if these did work, you should not have any reason to use them if your electrical system is stock.

only if you are adding extra load to the system, or are having problems such noise interference on an aftermarket ignition control system, then maybe you might have reason to try these out.

Collapse -
by jainacheung / November 22, 2005 4:27 PM PST

It really works.
I found a website with low price and good quality.
I m here to share it with you guys.

Collapse -
voltage stabilizer
by dzul4u / November 30, 2008 10:07 PM PST

It really works , it will boost your voltage to maximum . There's this stabilizer from Japan call i-Charge from zeromax its unlike other stabilize, this i-charge you need only to plug into your cigarette socket with it interference reducer system and battery doctor it really work wonder if your car more than a year, you really feel the different and it know to safe fuel .At around SGD300.00 With 12 month warranty period and the lifespan is between 5 to 10 years it's really worth buying .

Collapse -
oh it does make a difference
by Forced-Air / June 9, 2009 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: voltage stabilizer

i stumbled across this post as a result of searching for diagrams for a 12v - 12v stabalizer / regulator since noticing the engine performance of my car was far better the lower the voltage was, to a point, it seemed the engine was more responsive thru the whole range by simply having the heater fan on full. "odd" i here you say, and even " it must be pulling an earth through the fan or something". but no, ive isolated it to the input voltage to the engine management control unit. having then subsequently looked at the voltage range in the system it appears to be somewhat higher than id like as high as 15v at times. now i here you saying "your voltage regulator is no good" ( resisted using an expletive there ) but no, well not entirely, it appears alot of aftermarket/ pattern regulators are tending to put out a higher voltage. so it appears there are two cures to the problem. solder new brushes into the old regulator or stabalise the voltage on the management circuit more precisely. im tending to go for both cures. even with the oem regulator you will have a voltage swing and therefore a swing in calcultions the ecu is making.since the ecu will have internal voltage regulation how will this help i hear you say. well the fact of tha matter is its only regulating as a percentage of its expected input voltage, since in my case, and probably a lot of other peoples, the expected input voltage has changed the need for stabilization excists. hope this goes someway to helping understand the idea of voltage stabilization problem

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.