Internet Services Providers

Question

VoIP hardware

by Mindstyle06 / October 5, 2012 5:07 AM PDT

Hello folks,

I am just curious if anybody here is well versed with VoIP hardware for residential use.

My current phone system is with Cablevision (which is VoIP too). I would like to replace it with cheaper alternative. Ooma and OBi are options but I don't know what exactly is it called as in technical lingo.

I am looking for open hardware (similar to OBi) which can be used with any VoIP provider. I am sure companies like Cisco or Linksys must be making it but I am unable to figure out due to the lack of technical jargon.

Many thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VoIP hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VoIP hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Open voip hardwares?
by ahtoi / October 8, 2012 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: VoIP hardware

Is there such thing? I believe Obi is tied to Google Voice, Vonage and Nettalk have their own system. I think the best way is to try it and see if it's for you or not. Personally I had telephone service with my cable company which isn't bad at all. My problem started when they started charging me for toll call and Canada, which was suppose to be free. I now have nettalk, which is not as good as the cable phone ( however I am not sure if my cable phone is voip or not). If it is voip..it's a little bit more special than your average voip. I also have been on the receiving end of vonage...but to me, it some leave something to be desire (quality wise).

Collapse -
Yes, there are
by Mindstyle06 / October 9, 2012 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Open voip hardwares?

There are many hardwares. Its just how much you really want to spend. OBi is not only tied up to Google but actually it is one of the open hardwares. It advertises for google voice because everyone loves free and its very good marketing strategy but it works with many other SIPs. I personally plan to have a google voice account and one more VoIP account for international calling.

Cable company's charge for phone is outrageous. They make a ton of money. I calculated mine. My usage is about 800 minutes per month. With VoIP provider, it will cost me $8 per month + taxes. $10 for round figure (without any compromise on quality). The cable company wants me to pay $35+taxes for the same services. Hence, I said bye bye. Our ignorance is their benefit. Its our call if we want to be wise and make best use of technology or get ourselves ripped off.

I did a lot of research. At the moment, OBi100 is the cheapest and best hardware (feature-wise) I could find. I am yet to configure and use it and can not comment on that part. I will be glad if somebody more knowledgeable than me can correct me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.