Android forum

General discussion

Voice Dialing with Bluetooth - HELP!!!

by mpisani / March 3, 2011 1:19 AM PST

I currently use a Samsung Rogue running through my car (Nissan)stereo and I use the voice dialing feature all the time. I wanted to upgrade to the Samsung Fascinate (Android 2.1) but I'm finding out that the Bluetooth voice dialing feature does not work with the Fascinate (supposedly).

Samsung says - it can't be done OR Bluetooth voice dialing doesn't work at this time. They didn't know why and didn't know if it would ever work. Samsung also made it seem like, it could be done uo to a point. Once I have the name/number (through voice dialing) of the person I'm calling, I'm required to press a button on the phone to actual dial the number.

Verizon says - with my Rogue it just activates the Nuance software built-in to the phone for voice dialing, but the Fascinate has a number of apps that could do voice dialing and when pressing the steering wheel phone button, the phone won't know which app to choose.

Nissan Bluetooth says - as long as the phone syncs with your phonebook I can use Bluetooth voice dialing as I am today with the Rogue.

Does anyone have a clear cut answer on this? Are there Android phones that do Bluetooth voice dialing?

Thanks,
Matt

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Voice Dialing with Bluetooth - HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Voice Dialing with Bluetooth - HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are asking two things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2011 1:25 AM PST

If the car's bluetooth can voice dial and if the phone needs voice dialing to work with the car.

Let's put this BLUNTLY. One thing is not the other. For years the car's voice dialer does all the heavy lifting and speech recognition so the question is SIMPLER than you can imagine. Ready?

Does this phone "pair" with your car?

That's all you need to ask.
Bob

Collapse -
Voice Dialing with Bluetooth - HELP!!!
by mpisani / March 3, 2011 2:59 AM PST

Bob,
Is that a question for Samsung, Nissan or Verizon?

Collapse -
voice dialing with BT
by tiberiumdj / March 3, 2011 6:13 AM PST

There could be a compatibility issue, however there were some issues with Android 2.1 and BT/voice dialing features. This should be fixed with the 2.2 update for the Fascinate if they ever launch it.

Nuance is a terrible app, on any phone. I use Vlingo, its free, works well, great accuracy, (no calling 911 when trying to order pizza, lol) and their always updating it.

AS for what other Android phones that do Bluetooth voice dialing? My X does it just fine, Droid 1 & 2 did it fine after 2.2 update. As for other phone I cannot speak personally.

Collapse -
All three.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2011 1:13 PM PST

Most should respond with "Don't know" or "Try it."

Again, the voice recognition is in the car, not the phone in this case. Move away from the car and then the voice dial is all about the phone.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.