Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

vnetbios VXD

by valeve / December 26, 2006 2:53 AM PST

I've had to format the harddisk on an older computer of mine. Everything works fine except this above mentioned fie is missing. What is a reliable source from which to download it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vnetbios VXD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vnetbios VXD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I fetch it from my Windows CD. Here's how.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2006 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: vnetbios VXD
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Bob, I'll work on that!
by valeve / December 28, 2006 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Here I am again.
by valeve / December 29, 2006 5:59 AM PST

I did appreciate your help Bob. I've just about rebuilt that old computer but one more glitch. Everything is perfect and it works with my network, sharing files and printer. Only thing is, I can't get on the Internet. I'm on line because of my network (cable). When I try to open IE, it tells me that there is a syntax error. I wrote my cmcast link exactly as it is written on my good computer. Guess I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. Anyway, if you can bear with me a little longer, maybe you could explain.

Thanks, Val

Collapse -
Re: syntax error
by Kees Bakker / December 29, 2006 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Here I am again.

Can you tell more about the message? It's rather unusual. In fact, it isn't on Microsofts IE error page

It could be a javascript problem on your home page. Then go into Tools>Internet Options and uncheck the checkbox that tells IE to report all errors in scripts (I can't tell you the exact English phrase, so have a good look in the 'browsing' section).

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
IE error
by valeve / December 29, 2006 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: syntax error

The message below which I copied and pasted from the IE error page pretty much describes my problem. Thanks Kees. I hope you can help me.

400 - Bad request
This error message indicates that the server can't figure out the URL (Uniform Resource Locator) you requested. The problem often occurs because of incorrect URL syntax. If you typed the URL, check it for incorrect uppercase or lowercase letters, colons, and slashes. Try to type the URL again. If you still get an error, try to backtrack the URL to the directory the document resides in. If the error message persists, the problem might be with the document. Your only recourse is to contact the site's administrator.

Top of page

Collapse -
by Blue_Zee / December 30, 2006 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: IE error
Collapse -
Re: error message
by Kees Bakker / December 30, 2006 4:44 AM PST

When exactly does this message appear? If it is what you say ("when I open IE") it must be the home page, I'd say. That's the only URL IE should open when being run. Go to Tools>Internet Options>General and check 'blank page'. What happens if you close IE and open it again?
If OK, then try visiting a page by entering a valid URL (like or www.forums.cnet) in the address bar.
If that works also, visit the page you like to have as your home page (mine is a file on my own hard disk, but some people use their isp's page like or their favorite news site or, well you can choose what you want) and choose 'Use current'.
Post if anything goes wrong and you get error messages.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
IE error
by Cursorcowboy / December 30, 2006 10:11 PM PST

Maybe you could tell us what was written, how and where "I wrote my cmcast link exactly as it is written on my good computer. If you can get the browser resident at all:

1. Type the URL host name (referred to also as the fully qualified domain name (FQDN)) in the address bar and then press Enter.

2. Then type the TCP/IP address and press Enter. (If PING works, a TCP/IP address may be obtained at the command prompt using the "PING" command with a "Host name" parameter).

Note If the FQDN does not works, it's a DNS-problem, "Microsoft TCP/IP Host Name Resolution Order (Q172218)."

Caveat: See if a file named HOST (without an extension) is located in the Windows folder. If so, rename it by adding the extension .bad at the end of the filename, pressing ENTER, and then trying everything again -- after the browser has been closed and re-opened however.

3. Check the settings of the DNS in the TCP/IP-properties for the Internet settings. They should be what the helpdesk of your provider recommends, "How to Troubleshoot Basic TCP/IP Problems (Q169790)."

Collapse -
still confused...
by valeve / January 2, 2007 1:40 AM PST

I see someone else has similar problems and I've been reading those posts too. I have tried all the various suggestions and now I come up with a notice that tells me that my IP address is conflicting with my hardware address. I have the right IP address but I don't know how to find my 'hardware' address. Also, I'm constantly told that I need OLEAT32.dll. I downloaded that on my other PC but I can't seem to get it to work with the win98 one.

Anmy more suggestions?

Thanks, Val

Collapse -
A couple of hints.
by Cursorcowboy / January 2, 2007 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: still confused...
Also, I'm constantly told that I need OLEAT32.dll. I downloaded that on my other PC but I can't seem to get it to work with the win98 one.

Don't know that filename but it could be OLEAUT32.DLL.which is a part of Internet Explorer.

? To use the Internet Explorer Repair tool, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon, click Microsoft Internet Explorer ? and Internet Tools, click Change/Remove, and then click Repair Internet Explorer.

1. When confronted with a DLL file problem, a copy of some Microsoft media may already be owned from which the file can be extracted, "Definition and Explanation of a .DLL file (Q87934)".

2. To determine whether the file is a Microsoft issue, access the "DLL Help Database", click the first down-arrow and select the By file only, enter the file name on the third line -- including extension in the space provided, and then press Enter (correct spelling and punctuation is recommended). If a list is rendered, simply determine from what media is shown, and that you currently have, and extract a copy, "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)".

Note: You'll get a list of two-plus pages of various version of the OLEAUT32.DLL file for different Microsoft products -- each version can be opened individually by click the More Info links "and opening it in a New Window" for reading, and then closing it, rather than opening something on the current page which then requires a page refresh. You'll also find this file in the located on the Windows 98 installation CD.

3. If a file cannot be determined from the MS site, and you know your system requires such, it's usually advantageous to simple uninstall and reinstall the applicable program or application for which the file belongs. Search using the "Google_Group" Web site for resources or ascertain from the vendor who released the program whether there was any mention of having to furnish a particular ".DLL" file from some other site before theirs work correctly.

4. By default, and to enhance performance, Win98 will only look in the \Window\System directory for certain system DLL files if that file is listed in the following registry key, regardless of whether the file is in fact present in the parent program folder. To correct this type situation, either ensure the x.DLL file exists in the parent directory or remove the x.DLL filename from the registry key, [Q193067]:

a. The above scenario does not apply to executables filenames. The article [Q125410] explains that when you type a program's executable, Win9x/ME searches the current folder, and then the folders on the path statement (Autoexec.bat file) for the executable's possible location. If the file is not found, you receive the following error message:

bad command or filename

b. The method that an app uses to search for other component files (such as DLLs) depends on the individual app and how the app references those DLLs. There are basically two methods to "bind" a DLL to an executable and many application use a combination of both methods:

? With compile-time binding - the references to any external modules (AKA "dependencies") are encoded into the executable file's header, and those modules are loaded either when the executable itself is loaded or when it calls a function that is located in one of those modules.

? With run-time binding - the application loads other modules explicitly, as it needs them.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.