General discussion

Vizio XVT553SV picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / August 20, 2010 4:33 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-xvt553sv/4505-6482_7-34122871.html

Related products:
Vizio XVT473SV
Vizio XVT423SV

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Vizio XVT553SV in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 13
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 53
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
Horiz. Position: 32
Vertical position: 16
Horizontal Size: 0
Vertical Size: 0

---Color Temperature submenu---
Color Temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 117
Green Gain: 121
Blue Gain: 112
Red Offset: 126
Green Offset: 131
Blue Offset: 120

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Off [grayed out]
Noise Reduction: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Smart Dimming: On
Ambient Light Sensor: Off

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio XVT553SV picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio XVT553SV picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bright Room Settings
by slofaro512 / September 10, 2010 5:52 AM PDT

Hi, Just wanted to help people with non-dark rooms (e.g. living room with windows). Bought two 42" models. For condo bedroom and living space. We have floor to ceiling windows. These TV's are great for such "bright" rooms. Just played with the settings based upon recommended one's and it looks great.

Changes for bright room:
ADVANCED PICTURE
Smart Dimming- ON
Ambient Light Sensor- HIGH (for really bright living); MIDDLE (for bedroom with shades)

Found this to really help with our space.

Collapse -
Blooming and Black Levels
by superBD / November 27, 2010 2:55 AM PST

I'm getting a lot of blooming on this television. Is this normal for this television? And also, the black levels on this television seem kind of weak. Are the black levels suppose to be this way? I tried the calibration settings above, but it just made the television too dark.

Collapse -
(NT) Blooming
by aasegal / February 1, 2011 8:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Blooming
by aasegal / February 1, 2011 8:31 AM PST

I have the same problem, black isn't very black.

Collapse -
Same boat
by Grassrootz / February 1, 2011 10:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Video Game Settings?
by Borincano82 / January 11, 2012 10:39 AM PST

Thanks for the movies setup. Do you have something for video games? I have a 360 & a PS3 with an HDMI connection to VIZIO XVT3D554SVand no matter how much I search I cant find any setting for gaming.

Collapse -
Video Game Settings?
by Borincano82 / January 11, 2012 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Video Game Settings?

This post was for katzmaier sorry.

Collapse -
Cannot access certain settings
by sLADe781 / December 4, 2010 2:41 PM PST

I was trying to make the changes recommended here but I cannot access certain settings that are suggested. For example, for the picture set-up, I cannot get into the BACKLIGHT setting to make the change. All the other settings below I have no problem getting into but it's always the first one that is giving me issues.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on!?!

Collapse -
RE: Cannot access certain settings
by ricodlc83 / December 6, 2010 11:05 AM PST

In Advanced Picture settings, you have to turn off Ambient Light Sensor in order to access the backlight setting.

Collapse -
Access to Real Cinema Mode
by sunpcad / December 17, 2010 12:52 PM PST

I couldn't access Real Cinema Mode? Any hints...?

Collapse -
How to access advanced picture menu?
by flacnvinyl / February 27, 2013 1:06 AM PST

Did anyone ever figure out how to access the advanced picture menu? On my E320-A0 the Advanced Picture Mode is simply not there.

Collapse -
best hookup
by Larry891960 / December 28, 2010 9:07 PM PST

what is the best way to hook up a Blue-Ray to the HDMI-DVI connection? Vizio said to use the custom settings,,what are the best settings for that for dish network HD? or movies or xbox 360

Collapse -
Blooming and Black Levels
by aasegal / February 1, 2011 8:28 AM PST

I have the same thing in the upper cprners when ihas a black background. The black is not dark.

Collapse -
Advanced Picture Submenu
by IchiYamamoto / March 2, 2011 10:35 AM PST

Most times I look for configurations, the advanced submenu options are turned off. I want to know why.
Or be directed to somewhere that I can find out what exactly they do.
Why are they always off? What's the point?
And what do I take note on? Specific differences
to look at when they are on/off?

Collapse -
Video Gaming Settings?
by Borincano82 / January 11, 2012 10:53 AM PST

Thanks for the movies setup. Do you have something for video games? I have a 360 & a PS3 with an HDMI connection to VIZIO XVT3D554SVand no matter how much I search I cant find any setting for gaming.

Collapse -
Vizio E500i in zoom mode
by cdfwinters / January 19, 2014 9:26 AM PST

This was helpful however does anyone have a best guide for a vizio E500i in zoom mode?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.