HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Vizio M551D-A2R picture settings

by tpendlebury CNET staff/forum admin / July 2, 2013 7:09 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m551d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781765.html

Related products:
Vizio M501D-A2R

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/151398800/Vizio-M551D-A2R-calibration-report

TV software/firmware version tested: V1.06.6.1136

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Vizio M551D-A2R in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The new Calibrated mode provided the best picture settings without any adjustment, although it was a little too bright at its default settings (about 50 fL). Reducing the Backlight affected the greyscale performance resulting in a kickout in RGB response at 100RE that couldn't be corrected. Color didn't require much adjustment but the red push couldn't be controlled without adversely affecting the other colors.

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated or Calibrated Dark
Backlight: 62
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 82
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 489
Green Gain: 460
Blue gain: 381
Red offset: 517
Green offset: 510
Blue offset: 515

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto

Note: This post was edited by its original author Added Scribd link on 07/02/2013 at 2:52 PM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio M551D-A2R picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio M551D-A2R picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Will these settings work for 70" version of this TV?
by vestaviascott / July 6, 2013 11:44 AM PDT

Thanks very much for reviewing this set. I have the 70" version of it and I've tried to replicate your settings. I can get everything except the color temp settings. My values only go from 0 to 255.

Can you tell me what the scale is on your set?

Do you anticipate reviewing the 70 or 80 inch version of this Vizio set?

Collapse -
I have the same capacities in the M601d a3r.
by brehmerj / August 29, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

I tried to scale it accordingly but not too sure what his max parameters are. I found some specs on amazon frm ppl using calibration discs. Ill keep you posted, bro.

Collapse -
M701d-a3r CNET translated settings
by gdouble77 / December 7, 2013 4:04 PM PST

max color settings on the M*5" tvs are 1000 and are 255 on the M*0" tvs.

So I proportionately adjusted CNET's color settings from above to get the following for my M701:

R/Gain 125
G/Gain 117
B/Gain 97
R/Offset 132
G/Offset 130
B/Offset 131

Could not find this translation ANYWHERE so hope it helps some folks out.

Collapse -
Why are your Color Temps so high?
by jazeppi / September 9, 2013 1:31 AM PDT

I'm using these picture settings for my Vizio m401i-a3. I would imagine that all the M-Series tv's have the same settings and menus. In your picture settings you have really high color temps. But on my tv the color temps max out at 255. Am I missing something? Please help.

Thanks =)
jazeppi

Collapse -
Game Mode Motion Resolution
by Alphatauri / October 9, 2013 12:49 PM PDT

I see that the Motion resolution with dejudder off is 320 - Does the game mode fall under the same motion resolution? Or is the dejudder optional.
I am curious because I think I want the S60 if its motion resolution is better when I'm playing games.
<div><div>I have an older Vizio e371va and it has game mode but can't use the Smooth Motion setting.
</div></div>Thanks

Collapse -
Hi quick questiion
by PITBULL0669 / January 1, 2014 10:22 AM PST

I did just get the 70 in M series. is it Poss to get the dark calibrated seeting for that set since these are not accurate with those settings Happy Thanks much

And it doesn't seam accurate colour for the settings by the person who posted 3 down they seam off. just saying.

Collapse -
I cannot find the color temperature Sub Menu, PLEASE HELP
by Metallion28 / March 24, 2014 6:22 AM PDT

I just purchased the M551D-A2R a couple of days ago and everywhere I read, I see reviewers mention the RGB Offset and Gain setting under color temperature sub menu, but they do not exist on my TV. There is a Color Tuner under professional settings to adjust the color settings, but they range from -100 to 100. Could someone please help me?! This is very frustrating as I am trying to get the most out of my picture. Has anyone come up with an idea why I see different setting? I have the following firmware: V1.25.24.0234_125.

Collapse -
No colour temp sub menu
by noahg22 / April 2, 2014 5:09 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem as metallion. I have searched all over for an answer and I can't seem to find one. Why are my options even different from what the user manual says? Any help would be very valuable.

Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM WITH 50
by KevinFawley / April 8, 2014 10:07 PM PDT

Having the same issue w/ my 50" purchased from Best Buy. Please help! Thanks!

Collapse -
Same problem
by eclpse44 / May 8, 2014 10:56 AM PDT

I have the same issue with this model I purchased today from Best Buy. If anyone can help us with this it would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Same Issue for me
by StevenSmyth / June 2, 2014 3:06 AM PDT

I read somewhere else that someone tried using the last two numbers for each RGB offset, however that sounds iffy to me. For example use 89 for red gain instead of 489. Not sure if this works or not. So I too need some guidance on my -100 to 100 scale. I also was wondering if anyone knows if these settings apply to all inputs or can we assign a setting to each input? I would love to use "game mode" for my PS4...but use a logitech remote. Would love to have it auto assign a mode to each input setting so I dont have to show my 11 year old how to blow up my TV Happy
Thanks!

Collapse -
firmware update
by labria86 / June 26, 2014 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue for me

Major firmware update yesterday. Added a new professional picture setting and tons of other stuff. Abby suggestions for set up?

Collapse -
Settings for new firmware
by asherber / June 27, 2014 11:49 AM PDT

As posted below, looks like newer TVs come with a different firmware that was just pushed to older TVs in the last couple of days (completely destroying my custom settings!).

Yes, the Color Tuner in the new firmware has the same options as the RGB Offset/Gain, but on a different scale. The original numbers posted above were on a scale of 0-1000, so to convert to the new 200 point scale just divide by 5 and then subtract 100.

So the new numbers are approximately:

Red Gain: -2
Green Gain: -8
Blue gain: -24
Red offset: 3
Green offset: 2
Blue offset: 3

(Note that since the new scale is only 200 points instead of 1000, you lose a certain degree of fine control.)

In the new firmware, it looks like you can no longer edit the presets. If you start with a preset and change some values, you wind up with a new custom setting.

Collapse -
Firmware upgrade 1.34.28.1034_125
by Jowatana / July 1, 2014 12:17 PM PDT

Hi all thanks for the settings, these have worked great especially for someone like me who knows nothing of the settings. This new upgraded firmware that came out today changed everything. There are new "professional" settings increase white balance options and color settings. Is anyone willing to share ideas on these new settings? I realize this is an "older" set.

Collapse -
I am curious if the newly release firmware is worth switchin
by sharo4k / September 26, 2014 4:37 PM PDT

Is the newly released fw superior to the old settings? If possible it would be great to see revised fw picture settings and a possible mention of best settings for using a PS4 in game mode for this model.

Thanks for all your input!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.