TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Vizio LCD TV freezing up

by CTbarnes / April 12, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

I purchased a Vizio VO22L LCD TV from Costco about 9 months ago. It is connected to Comcast through a coax cable from the outside, and I do not have a cable box. About 2-3 times per day the TV crashes. with a picture frozen, no sound and none of the buttons work. I have to unplug and plug back in the TV in order to clear the fault. I have called both Vizio and Costco and they are stumped. I have also heard there may be a problem with the signal coming from Comcast overloading the video processor. It only happens when watching digital channels. This does not happen when watching the analog channels. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio LCD TV freezing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio LCD TV freezing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Use that Costco exchange program FAST. Now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
All Vizio TV's seem to have the same problem.
by kaglbm / January 27, 2010 11:25 PM PST

A friend of mine have two in her house and they both do the same thing. She have Comcast cable, not directly attached to the Comcast cable box. I'm researching this with Vizio. Maybe you should put in a ticket to them as well.

Collapse -
Vizio 32 LCD freezes on digital channels
by katmaylap / February 21, 2010 9:57 AM PST

I recently moved my Vizio 32 LCD into another room and did a scan to find all available channels -Brighthouse cable w/o a box - Intermittently it freezes up when I am surfing thru the digital channels. The screen goes blank with only the blacklight on - no button on the remote or the set affect it and I must unplug and replug it to get it working again. A real pain when I'm snuggled into bed on a cold night! I placed a surge protector with a remote kill switch hooked to it. At least now I don't have to dig the cord out of the back of the TV. I did not find anyone on any blog with an answer to this problem.

Collapse -
Vizio LCD Freeze up
by tickerlock / April 27, 2010 4:02 PM PDT

Im having the same problem with my vizio, My other vizio in my bedroom doesn't do it ever, but its also 5 years newer. With the refresh rate now a standard of 60 hz but quickly becoming 120 hz I don't think the tv can keep up with the cable feed. Im directly connected to coax. Sometimes its fine, other times tho, like today its froze up on me 3 times. Yeah, its a 5 year old 37" Vizio 480dpi Maybe its time I just buy a new one.

Collapse -
Again?? Really?
by tickerlock / April 27, 2010 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Vizio LCD Freeze up

OK, Make that FOUR times now! This is getting aggravating!!!! It doesn't freeze up when watching a dvd hmmmm some food for thought..

Collapse -
vizio TV freezing
by hemoroid / September 17, 2012 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Vizio LCD Freeze up

I purchased an E39ovl Vizio from Cosco about a month ago. Twice it has frozen on a single channel (2). I use Cableone in Arizona, using a coax cable directly to the TV. The freeze has happened for no apparent reason. I turn off the power,m no help, the second time, I removed the wall plug, Then it was still frozen. I then reset the TV to the default position. That solved the problem,. But I think the real solution is the using the return policy of Costco (90 days )......Vizio 8 tablet also had some issues, and it was returned......Seems we never learn.....

Collapse -
vizio troubles
by wardog2529 / September 20, 2010 4:00 PM PDT

I JUST BOUGHT A 26 INCH VIZIO m260va.I HAVE HAD IT FOUR DAYS AND IT HAS FROZEN UP TWICE ALREADY.NO SOUND AND THE VOLUME, POWER OR CHANNEL BUTTONS WONT WORK.I HAVE TO UNPLUG IT TO GET IT TO WORK RIGHT AGAIN.I HAVE NOTICED THAT THIS HAPPENED BOTH TIMES I SWITCHED FROM HDMI1 WITCH MY XBOX360 IS CONNECTED TO BACK TO TV.I ALSO HAVE COMCAST CABLE.I AM NOT SURE IT WAS THE CABLE.I THINK IM GOING TO TAKE IT BACK.A BRAND NEW TV SHOULD NOT ALREADY BE SHOWING SIGNS OF DEATH.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.