TVs & Home Theaters forum

Vizio HD TV

by edwardhensel / January 22, 2013 1:40 AM PST

I am getting a new hdtv and I am having a difficult time deciding between two tv's:

I like the fact that the XVT3D474SV has a full array of local dimming (or smart dimming) led's. Also the XVT473SV, which is the same thing with out 3D, has the Editors Choice in Aug 2010.

But the cnet review for the M3D470KD, says it " produces some of the deepest black levels and most accurate color of any LED TV this year.

To me I think the XVT3D474SV is the better option but there is almost 2 years between the reviews. So I am wondering what would be the best purchase?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio HD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio HD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
In our family, no more Vizio.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio HD TV

All the Vizio TVs are now dead. Sure there were only about 4 but in just 2 years that's not a good sign. I can only guess it's like moths to a flame. That is low price that is attractive.

Collapse -
I think I will through the dice.
by edwardhensel / January 22, 2013 2:13 AM PST

I think I will through the dice and get one of the two, because I do not have a lot of money and Vizio has some pretty good reviews, even from CNET. I still would like to know which one would be better out of the two.

Collapse -
Quick nods to the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 2:27 AM PST

1. What looks better first hand. Reviews are often unreliable in this maker category because they can change display panels without notice.

2. Nod to 1080p, 120Hz for most folk. I can't bring myself to get a 720p HDTV except in the sub 20 inch displays.

Collapse -
Whats next?
by edwardhensel / January 22, 2013 2:34 AM PST

Well both of them are 1080p, 47in, 3D, and both are above 120Hz. What would be the next thing I would look for to pick the better tv?

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Whats next?

Which looks best at the shop, one with a longer warranty and of course if you can get one of over 100 bucks less could be the clincher.

Collapse -
I maybe wrong but here is something...
by Oldartq / January 24, 2013 1:32 AM PST

else to think about. The xvt use active 3D glasses while the m3d use passive glasses (if that makes any difference).

Collapse -
by peplac / February 10, 2013 8:18 PM PST

Bad or defective capacitors is what killed most of them.
I replaced capacitors and mine is running still.

Collapse -
In store displays
by mjd420nova / January 22, 2013 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio HD TV

Often how the units are set up in a display wall has a lot to do with what sells too. The Vizio stands out among some of the more expensive units. Reviews were not spectacular for either so the look would be the selling point, even with the 3d factored in.

Collapse -
by edwardhensel / January 22, 2013 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: In store displays

Well the issue is that I have never seen these tv's. I have only done online research.

On and other note, I did find out that the XVT3D474SV is 480HZ and the other is only 120Hz. So it might make more sense to get the XVT series.

Collapse -
Scan rate
by mjd420nova / January 24, 2013 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Issue

Yes, the 3D set will have to have a higher rate in order to add the 3D frames. 120 is adequate for almost all types of viewing media. I'd take a little time to check these units out, or their close models, on a wall display so you can compare them. The number of inputs and the audio, digital or analog will help to narrow the choices and how they fit into your present system and its needs for input.

Collapse -
Don't be swayed by the stats <ahem>
by Pepe7 / February 10, 2013 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Issue

480Hz is really a misnomer. The true refresh rate is 120 or 240 Hz, with some trickery to make you think it's @ 480Hz.

Keep in mind you would not have to deal with this nonsense if you went with a plasma model.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.