Tip

Vizio E601i-A3 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / October 4, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

Related products:
Vizio E701i-A3

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/109014989/Vizio-E601i-A3-CNET-review-calibration-results

TV software/firmware version tested: 1.0.1

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Vizio E601i-A3 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: As usual Vizio's Movie mode provided the best picture settings without any adjustment, although it was quite dim in our dark room with in its default "Medium" ambient light sensor setting (16 fL) and still a bit too dim when I disabled the sensor (32 fL). Its grayscale was solid, however, although gamma was way too dark.

My calibration improved nearly all of these issues. I was able to mostly correct gamma by disabling the DCR backlight control, and unlike with some previous Vizio sets, doing so did not hurt black level performance overmuch (it got 0.0012 fL lighter, if you're counting; an amout that's easily worth the tradeoff for substantially better gamma). I barely had to touch the grayscale to get it nearly perfect, and it remained admirably linear in all but the darkest areas. As for color the most important areas--primary luminance and secondary hue--were very good, but red did appear skewed toward orange and blur saturation also suffered. Perhaps a good CMS could correct these problems, but Vizio doesn't offer one.

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75
Color: 51
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Smooth [grayed out]
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration results on 10/04/2012 at 12:32 PM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio E601i-A3 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio E601i-A3 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vizio E601i-A3 Quick Question
by eza92 / October 17, 2012 3:37 PM PDT

Mr Katzmaier,

Thank you for your review, it was really helpful when making my decision for a new TV, and thank you for the settings. If I may, I have one quick question regarding the TV. I have not owned an Edge Lit LED TV before, so I do not know what to expect from one when it comes to common issues and behaviors.

My Vizio E601i-A3 is a great TV; however, I noticed while watching in a completely dark room that during all black screens, such as the boot up screen (showing the Vizio Logo), or on a "No Input" screen, or when switching between apps and games on my PS3, there is a slightly brighter spot on the bottom of the screen where it meets the bezel, on the bottom left half of the screen. The affected area is about the size of an adult hand and it only noticeable during the aforementioned screens.

During normal use, and while watching dark movies like Prometheus and Super 8 I noticed no difference in the black across the screen, so for now I am considering it a non-issue, but I just would like to know if this is something that occurs on Edge Lit LED's, and if it is normal or a defect.

Best Regards,
E

(Just to specify, since the red text below is reminding me to do so, the model is a Vizio E601i-A3)

Collapse -
Uniformity
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / October 18, 2012 12:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Uniformity
by eza92 / October 18, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Uniformity

Mr. Katmaier,

Thank you for the links, i've read your E601i-A3 review before and that was what actually convinced me to pull the trigger. The second link is very helpful as well. The uniformity issue is not nearly as bad as any of those examples so far, and thankfully only visible during those boot up, no input screens, and certain video games (albeit barely visible).

Since this is a common issue with Edgle Lit TV's, and since the issue with my TV seems to be minor, would you suggest I shrug it off and keep the TV? Or return it for a new one and hope it doesn't have the same issue? I realize this would be a bit of a gamble since the next TV could have the same issue and to a worse degree.

Thank you so very much for your help and quick response, CNET is a great site and your reviews are thorough and very, very helpful.

E

Collapse -
Your call
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / October 18, 2012 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Uniformity

It depends on your own tolerance/perfectionism. If you don't mind the thought of cycling through a bunch of samples to eventually arrive at the one with the best uniformity, go ahead and exchange it. If you can live with it, shrug off this issue; no TV is perfect.

Everything you say is right though: your issue sounds relatively minor, and chances are when you pick up another sample of the same model (or any LCD TV, for that matter) you'll notice some uniformity issue. I've reviewed hundreds of LCD and LED TVs over the years, most of them samples hand-picked by the manufacturer, and nearly every one had imperfect screen uniformity. It's inherent in the technology.

Collapse -
RE: Your call
by eza92 / October 19, 2012 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Your call

Thank you very much for the advice! I will give your calibration settings a try and hopefully that will only make the issue less noticeable.

Collapse -
Watching Sports
by RyanM85 / October 26, 2012 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Your call

Hello Katz, I just recently purchased this tv and am using your settings. Do you also recomend these settings for watching a sports game? I was told the auctual picture mode "football, baseball, ect.." that vizio offers doesnt have a big effect on the picture quality. Thank you in advance..

Ryan

Collapse -
Lipsync
by chasers2012 / November 6, 2012 12:38 AM PST

David,
At any time did you observe an odd lip sync offset? I bought this TV a couple weeks ago. At first I noticed a several second delay between lips and sound. Then, after turning on FX (at which point lip sync was normal) and walking around the house and finally returning, the sync was three seconds off, and kept getting worse over time! At first I thought I was nuts, but there are also differences in lip sync offsets inter and intrachannel! I've never seen anything like it. Last night I had ESPN on. The lip sync during commercials was perfect, then off again during the game. And, some channels like local channels are fine, some higher channels (Max, HBO) seem fine, but others are off.
For the record, I use Dish, and recently swapped out my 50" LG plasma for this TV. I'd never noticed any lip sync issues with the LG; the only thing that's changed is the TV. Oh, and I've tried just HDMI, just analog (output from TV to soundbar), and analog out from BluRay and Dish box to soundbar, but they're all off. The lipsync adjustment in the TV's menu only adjusts in one direction but doesn't seem to affect any of the outputs.
Again, I've never seen anything like this. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Collapse -
Actually I'm seeing this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Lipsync

The lack of control the content providers are giving is disheartening. It creates no end of problems for HDTV makers as you see this.

The fact the same channel works on the commercials is telling us something is amiss with the HD audio. Commercials are often stereo and 5.1 is something else.

There's another item to consider such as hookup. Your better HD tech will never run audio out of the TV to the HT system except for OTA and maybe game consoles. Be sure you hook up Source->HT-HDTV.

Collapse -
Seeing this...
by chasers2012 / November 6, 2012 4:00 AM PST

R.P., glad I'm not nuts. I agree, I wouldn't normally hook it up that way - it was more for testing.
Are you keeping your TV or expecting Vizio's tech support to provide a firmware update? I still have time to take mine back, but if this can be fixed I'll keep it.

Collapse -
Sorry, did you try it the "new" way of hookups?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Seeing this...

If you are using the TV audio outputs, I find many makes to be all over the map. For now, I think the way to go is source-> HT -> HDTV. Or else?
Bob

Collapse -
Both
by chasers2012 / November 6, 2012 5:21 AM PST

Hey Bob. Right now, since direct HDMI connection is definitely off, I tried HDMI from source direct to TV for video, and source analog to TV for audio. I've tried all ways, but to no avail. I will check on HD audio tonite as compared to non HD to see if that is the culprit.

Collapse -
Sorry. I thought there was a HT in there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Both

If your LG is off on just HDMI from a cable box to the TV, it's time to consider letting LG have one chance to correct it then send it back.
Bob

Collapse -
UPDATE!
by chasers2012 / November 8, 2012 8:13 AM PST

Bob, et. al.,
The problem doesn't exist using only TV speakers. I've been diverting sound to a ZVOX soundbar via various methods. Turns out no matter what method I use there's a lip sync error. Since the TV speakers are in sync with motion, I decided to turn on both the soundbar and the TV's speakers. Yep, echoooooo. The echo varied with programming, but was almost always there. I will contact Vizio tomorrow about this (I already have a case number). I'm hoping Vizio can at least address the analog audio outputs to match the TV's speakers sound. The ZVOX doesn't have digital inputs Sad
Chris

Collapse -
here is some help
by Shnuke / November 9, 2012 6:15 PM PST
In reply to: UPDATE!

it is your dish network that is causing the sync problem. it happens with my TV also all you have to do is skip back then forward and it will resync the audio to image. I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Not so much
by chasers2012 / November 9, 2012 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: here is some help

I don't think so. When I had my LG hooked up to the same configuration, there was never a lip sync issue. The only thing I changed was the TV.

Collapse -
Lip SYNC issues Vizio E601i-A3
by JWFFlorida / December 18, 2012 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Lipsync

Vizio HDTV- Lips out of sync
Anyone with a new Vizio E601i-A3 60" or 70" HDTV that is having audio "Lips out of sync problems" with a cable or satellite box.
On Comcast cable boxes (or others), here's what you need to do: FIND MENU for AUDIO or HDMI setup on CABLE BOX or Satellite Box.
FOR COMCAST
1. Turn on TV and have Cable box Turned OFF.
2. Press MENU on COMCAST REMOTE.
3. Go to AUDIO Setting OR HDMI Setting. (On cable or Sat. BOX)
4. Change setting from Auto to L-PCM. (Turn off cable box to exit)
This should resolve any "out of sync" lips to picture after commercials on HD channels.
*This is a handshaking issue from the cable box to the Vizio E601i-A3

Collapse -
lip sync
by slowe271 / January 19, 2013 11:25 PM PST

If you turn the cable box to OFF, then how do you change the HDMI setting? Im having this problem, need to find a fix or Im returning it tomorrow. Sad

Collapse -
Re: lip sync
by Danielle_Ni_Dhighe / March 9, 2013 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: lip sync

When you hit MENU on the cable box remote while the box is off, it should turn the box on directly to the settings.

Collapse -
Vizio E601I-A3 60-inch HDTV
by sripree / November 8, 2012 4:52 AM PST

Mr. Katzmaier,

This TV will be on sale for $699 on Black Friday. Is this worth the price?

Collapse -
on sale! where!
by cindyb1988 / November 8, 2012 6:49 AM PST

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>
I was planning to get this tv. My mom just got it today. Where will it be on sale and I wonder how many there will be? Do stores honor price guarantees if you buy it 5 days before black friday??

I just sent my mom the calibration so I'm waiting to hear if she tries to do it herself.

Collapse -
1080p - 720p - E601i-A3 Optimum Settings
by rwg5021 / November 23, 2012 2:36 AM PST

So i just bought my E601i-A3 last night on black friday. Got a ridiculous deal and have a few questions.

Im actually using the preset Game settings as they look pretty nice in my family room. When im in the settings and press the Exit button, at the top right of the screen it says 720p HD.

How do you get it to 1080p? I am running HDMI from Verizon Fios box to HDMI port 1 on the Vizio TV. Do you have to select 1080p or what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Collapse -
I had a FIOS box
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 2:41 AM PST

And I didn't have to set it up but the tech that installed FIOS did go to some menu in the FIOS box and change it to 1080.

Sorry for my incomplete answer but thought it might help.
Bob

Collapse -
dim and poor sync
by SR22pilot / November 27, 2012 12:28 AM PST

I just got this TV on the Wal-Mart Black Friday special. I am impressed with the thin design. I love that all inputs output on the optical out. The 52" Samsung it replaced didn't and that made connecting to the yamaha soundbar a problem since I would run out of inputs on the soundbar. However there are some negatives. In no particular order (actually minor ones first).

I love YouTube playback. I love having the keyboard on the remote.

1) DLNA use is problematic. It takes forever to read my movie directory and completely fails on music. It appears my large iTunes library (I have over 1000 CD's that I ripped). Vizio tried but couldn't help. Movie catalog read is so slow that at first I thought it was locked up. It took many minutes before the spinning circle showed up and the remote started working again.

2) Your settings result in a dim picture, especially during the day. My old CCFL Samsung 52" was MUCH brighter with richer colors.

3) I have a somewhat functional brightness but with unrealistic colors by setting:

Custom
Backlight 95
Brightness 53
Contrast 50 Color 50
Tint 2
Sharpness 5
R gan 128
G Gain 122
B Gain
Offset all 128 (what does this do?)
Backlight control and light sensor off

Don't expect good color from this. It is a start in that it makes the picture bright enough to watch. Now I will try to work on the color. The Samsung was much better out of the box.

Sound sync is driving me nuts. At times it seems to slowly get worse with turning the set off and then on helping. I have eliminated all delay on the Yamaha sound bar but the audio still seems slightly delayed. Is there a good DVD for checking this? I can't make the sound any earlier which is what it seems I need to do.

I almost took this set back and even called Vizio asking if something was wrong. Surprisingly they couldn't even give me a number for the light output to compare to the Samsung.

When the screen is all black and the brightness turned way up you can see that backlight uniformity is mediocre at best but acceptable to me given the price.

Oh yeah, skin tones currently appear slightly posterized compared to the Sony.

Collapse -
Need help watching videos on the E601i-A3
by Mackdiesel18 / November 28, 2012 4:26 PM PST

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble watching videos on the television via the computer on the TV's video app. I bought two of these computers from costco about a month ago. one of the TV's is connected directly to the router, the other is connected wirelessly. now when i open the "media app" on the televisions, they recognize my computer, my computer name is listed and on the DLNA1 line and everything, except the root folder is empty.

does anyone know if i should create a new folder on the computer for the TV to recognize it, then able to play the videos from the computer to the TV? my root folder is blank, there is nothing there. am i missing something here? or do i have to make a new folder on the PC, or change some settings on the televisions? any help would be fantastic!

im stumped at the moment, ive tried many things but no luck.

have a nice day!

mackel

Collapse -
forgot to add
by Mackdiesel18 / November 28, 2012 5:26 PM PST

I apologize, i forgot to add above:

I have all the DLNA set up on windows media player, everything is set to allow all devices to share and control files on the computer.

Now when the "media app/widget" is opened on the television, it just says Media, and nothing else. That is my question, where does one go from here to watch the videos?

have a nice day!

Mackel

Collapse -
Color Temp Settings
by cuse2000 / December 13, 2012 1:29 AM PST

What is the range of the gain and offset sliders on the E601i? I'm having trouble getting my E390 dialed in, and was going to use these as a baseline, but the settings on my screen only go between 1 and 100.

Collapse -
Vizio E390-A1
by Geovanigrande / April 17, 2013 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Color Temp Settings

Have you by any chance found the right settings to you use for rgb gain and offset

Collapse -
E601I-A3
by McLatchy1981 / November 28, 2013 10:06 AM PST

Hello I purchased one of these tv's 30 days ago, and tried these settings and there great thanks for that. I do have a issue with the picture on this tv and was wondering if this is normal. When the screen is black there is shadows of what was on the previous screen its like its burned in when watching movies and veiwing from the side its worse. Is this normal as its kind of ridiculous as the tv was almost 1000 dollars. Should I try to exchange this tv at best buy if they will even do that because its just passed there ridiculous 15 day policy. Any of your expert advise would be great thank you for your time.

Collapse -
Picture Settings
by Bostoncol44 / December 7, 2013 5:25 AM PST

Hi, I just bought this 70" vizio and am very satisfied. I just had a question about the settings. Because I mainly use the TV for watching Hockey, I couldn't find any "hockey" settings just other sports like Basketball, football, golf, ext. I was wondering if you could give me some settings I could try to use to see if it would enhance my viewing when watching hockey. Thank you for your time!!

-Matt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.