HDTV Picture Setting forum

Question

Vizio E601i-A3 Firmware Update 2014

by nate44 / February 4, 2014 3:18 AM PST

I just purchased a Vizio E601i-A3 from Best Buy. I did a bunch of research including reading the CNET review and recommended Picture Settings. So when I started setting up my new TV, I was surprised to see that the Picture Modes were totally different than those reviewed on CNET for the same model.

I see Picture Modes of Vivid, Standard, Calibrated, Calibrated Dark, and Custom modes. The CNET review (and the User Manual on Vizio's site), mention picture modes of Standard, Movie, Game, Vivid, and 4 Sports modes. It appears that the whole menu is different than the previous version.

After contacting Vizio, I found out that I have the latest version of Firmware (v1.25.24-301.0090). The support rep said that all E601i-A3 TV's (old and new) will be getting this firmware update.

Since I based all of my TV research on the previous firmware, I am a bit concerned. Is this update a good or bad thing?

It would be great if CNET did a review of this set with the latest firmware, or at least post on their recommended settings, since obviously the "Movie" Mode no longer exists!

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio E601i-A3 Firmware Update 2014
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio E601i-A3 Firmware Update 2014
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Same problem with firmware update
by millsopks / February 17, 2014 11:06 AM PST

Hi nate44,
I just experienced the same thing with my new Vizio E601i-A3. At first, when I couldn't even find the "movie" picture mode, I thought I was losing it! I appreciate you sharing your investigation and determination of the source of the problem, the 2014 Firmware Update. On a related note, under the previously recommended settings, it referred to color temperature adjustments of i.e. red gain 104, green gain 115 and similar adjustments for the offsets. I was unable to find where I could make any gain or offset adjustments greater than 100. Do you know if this is because of the firmware update or am I just not finding where to make these adjustments? If it is that I didn't find where to make the adjustments, it would be awesome if you could guide me through the selections to find them. Thanks.

Also, since gwkars' response is classified as an "answer" (there is no reply option in this Q&A format), I don't know if that will affect how much follow-up or further review this issue will receive. Because of this, I emailed David Katzmaier (publisher of the initial picture adjustments) to see if they could publish adjustments that work for the new firmware. In the meantime, if you have identified any, please do share!

Thanks

Collapse -
My settings
by nate44 / February 17, 2014 10:56 PM PST

millsopks,

I saw that you're able to adjust color temperature and offsets in the "professional" picture settings. But I would guess that the recommended adjustments from the previous firmware are no longer relevant since you are not starting from "Movie Mode". At least that is my assumption.

I tried using the advanced and professional settings to customize, but I wasn't able to make it any better than the pre-set "calibrated" settings.

After experimenting with the settings for a few hours, I found that I was most happy with the picture with these settings:
Start with "Calibrated" picture mode
Turn off "Backlight Control"
Turn off "Smooth Motion Effect"
Save as a Custom Picture Mode.

I'm not a professional though, so I'd be curious to see what others recommend.
If CNET would publish updated settings that would be ideal.

Collapse -
Thanks
by millsopks / February 18, 2014 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: My settings

Hi nate44,

Thanks for your reply. I had found that I could adjust the color temp and offsets in the professional picture settings; my problem was that it would not allow me to adjust the settings to a number greater than "100"--all of cnet's previously recommended adjustments exceeded 100. I agree they would likely not be relevant without starting from the now extinct "movie mode". I guess this range limitation may also be part of the new firmware.

Thanks for sharing the adjustments you identified; I believe I like them best also. (I am so far from a professional it can't be measured!)

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by gwkars / February 6, 2014 9:21 AM PST

I also just bought this tv and I don't see the movie mode as an option...

Collapse -
by nate44 / February 6, 2014 10:27 PM PST

The Vizio rep that I talked with said that the Movie mode is now replaced with the Calibrated mode. I'm not sure if the settings are the same, but this one seems to be the most movie-like of the pre-set picture modes. Although, in this mode the "Backlight Control" under Advanced settings is On. I turned this off, because it is very obvious when the backlight auto-adjusts while watching a movie. The screen seems to react to the content, and a few seconds into a bright scene it will suddenly darken or suddenly get brighter during a dark scene. I don't find that setting useful at all.

I also found that the Amazon Instant Video App is currently broken. If you select it from the Apps menu, you will see a message saying that it is currently unavailable. I contacted both Vizio and Amazon, and both said it was a known issue that they are working on. They said they expected a fix in the next few weeks.

Collapse -
by gwkars / February 7, 2014 1:09 AM PST

Thanks nate44, I found the Backlight Control to be more irritating than anything with the scenes adjusting lighter and darker. Thanks for the info...

Collapse -
picture settings.
by djm33 / February 20, 2014 11:47 AM PST

Has anyone found good settings yet for these newer versions?

Collapse -
searching also
by cglitz / February 26, 2014 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: picture settings.

Im trying to determine the best picture settings as well.
I began with the "Calibrated" picture mode, then turned off "Backlight Control" and "Smooth Motion Effect". I I Then, I saved it as a Custom Picture Mode, although the picture still looks colorfaded to me.
I wanted to see if anyone other settings they are using before I ran a calibration disc.
Also, I found that if you turn off "Backlight Control", that seems to work for the Cable box source, although If I watch a movie via my media center/xbox/ect., the Backlight Control returns and automatically adjusts scenes lighter and darker.

Collapse -
Saving custom picture mode
by nate44 / February 26, 2014 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: searching also

When you save a custom picture mode, that only applies to input that you are on. So if you save it while you are watching cable, then when you switch to another input (DVD), the picture mode will go back to the default. The backlight control is probably on again because the picture mode probably switched back to Standard.

If you want that custom picture mode for all of your inputs, then you will need to create and save it for each. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Answer
Vizio E601i-A3 2014 firmware calibrated settings
by Xav78 / July 13, 2014 1:28 PM PDT

I understand this is an outdated post, but I have searched the internet and still have not come across any recommended settings for the 2014 firmware update.

As you probably have noticed the firmware update that Vizio issued no longer correlates to settings previously posted by CNET. Items have been either moved, removed, or renamed so to help anyone out there who may still be looking I am posting the settings that I have found to produce an excellent picture after I used a calibration disc on my Vizio E601i-A3 .

1. Start with the "Computer" picture mode. (I used this one because the "calibrated" and "standard" settings appeared way to warm (too much yellow))
2. Auto Brightness: OFF
3. Backlight: 72
4. Brightness: 44
5. Contrast: 82
6. Color: 63
7. Tint: -1
8. Sharpness: 20

Next continue into "Advance Picture"

9. Black Detail: OFF
10. Backlight Control: OFF
11. Smooth Motion Effect: OFF
12. Reduce Signal Noise: Low
13. Reduce Block Noise: Low
14. Film Mode: Auto

Lastly if you back up one menu level and below the "Advance Picture" you will find "Professional Picture" under here you will then find Color Tuner. I left these settings to default of "0" I'm sure even finer tweaks could be made here but I couldn't figure out how to best adjust these so I left them alone. If anyone has any updates or suggestions to this section. I'd be interested to try them.

Best of luck to everyone, I hope this gives a good starting reference point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.