TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Vizio E420i-A1 or Philips 42PFL5907/F7? need help please!

by philip5510 / April 25, 2013 6:59 AM PDT
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vizio E420i-A1 or Philips 42PFL5907/F7? need help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vizio E420i-A1 or Philips 42PFL5907/F7? need help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good budget choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 7:38 AM PDT

But Vizio is one I can't go for unless it's too cheap to ignore. It's a shame that out of the dozen or so sets the family bought over the past 5 years, all are dead. Coincidence to the fan boys but I'd skip that brand unless there is some 2+ year warranty or just too good a deal to pass up.
Bob

Collapse -
by philip5510 / April 25, 2013 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good budget choices.

Wow, I had no idea they were so unreliable. I've been leaning more towards the Vizio because on amazon most people have given it a stellar review. Is it possible that they have worked out the kinks with this model? Also, I thought that Plasmas died but LCDs didn't.

Collapse -
Maybe they are better now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Most of these were picked up when Vizio first came out so with your usual 5 year life span of today's gear, these seem to have early failures. Check out if they have a longer warranty today.

Collapse -
Plasmas die?
by Pepe7 / April 26, 2013 12:19 AM PDT

To be perfectly honest, all electronics are a risky endeavor, if you look at what goes into making them. Sometimes they skimp on small parts and it dorks up the whole rig ;(.

That said, you ideally should buy a device with good post-sales support. It that regard, I would suggest you avoid Vizio and Phillips if possible. Neither has a good track record w/ service, and you could do better PQ-wise. Keep in mind that even LCD can have issues with a very bright spaces. What is your budget, btw?

Collapse -
by philip5510 / April 26, 2013 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Plasmas die?

my budget is 800$, i want a 42-46 inch. But keep in mind, here in canada prices are much higher (so real budget would be closer to 600$). I chose these two models based on the cnet reviews. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Why not keep shopping?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
panasonic
by philip5510 / April 27, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not keep shopping?

unfortunately that model costs 1200$ in canada!

Collapse -
I see it for 726.41 at Amazon.ca
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: panasonic
Collapse -
See if this is a better deal/newer/feature?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 3:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
re
by philip5510 / April 27, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

Thanks so much, ill probably get this one! looks great and is only a bit more expensive than the Vizio.

Collapse -
Answer
Check the options
by mjd420nova / April 26, 2013 3:37 AM PDT

Check the input/output connections for each set and compare them to see how they would fit in the present system. I have seen some very good looking Vizio sets, up to 50 inches. Yes, their early models had some reliablity problems but that's been resolved. Many Tv studios use their sets because of the sharpness and color clarity. My onlycomplaint was with the huge VIZIO logo on the front that is very bright and draws the eye. A piece of black electricians tape solved that.

Collapse -
re
by philip5510 / April 27, 2013 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the options

what do you mean by "Check the input/output connections for each set and compare them to see how they would fit in the present system".

Collapse -
Some smaller studios use them because...
by Pepe7 / April 28, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Check the options

...they can buy a whole slew of them for very low bulk prices (a la costco) vs a more reliable brand like Panasonic or Sony. Budgets start to get interesting when you have a need to buy thirty to fifty rigs but don't want to fire any of your staff who do other tasks just to afford better quality monitors ;).

OTOH, you will often see some movie studios (Lucas, etc.) with Panasonic plasma since the PQ is top notch.

Collapse -
re
by philip5510 / April 28, 2013 2:25 PM PDT

the only panasonic plasma in my budget is the S60 but i heard it does really poorly in bright rooms, thats why i was going to go for a cheap led lcd.

Collapse -
Keep in mind that...
by Pepe7 / April 29, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: re

...a cheap/budget LED may also not do so well in very bright spaces.

FWIW, the idea of what constitutes a bright space is also somewhat subjective. Are you working with mostly indirect sunlight, or simply bright daylight? Is there anything keeping you from putting up cheap temporary shades until you could afford better ones?

Collapse -
re
by philip5510 / April 29, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep in mind that...

it more the fact that i like to have natural daylight in the room, so i really want a tv that can handle that. which is why i was planning on getting the vizio.

Collapse -
Haven't found such a set yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

And any sales folk that have been around will distance themselves from those that want a set to deal with sunlight.
Bob

Collapse -
You may be able to turn the brightness up higher
by Pepe7 / April 29, 2013 2:35 AM PDT

...but the PQ won't necessarily be pleasant to watch during the day. Sunlight/bright light is the equalizer for all large panels.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.