Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Visually Impaired mp3 user

by gpayette / October 11, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

Is there a MP3 player with a larger than average font size to aid the visually impaired? In my experience, a larger screen size does not reflect a larger font size. Does any mp3 player have a zoom feature or scalable fonts? Mp3 player will be used for music only, no video or pictures.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Visually Impaired mp3 user
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Visually Impaired mp3 user
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New sports mp3 player may do the job
by sportmad / October 12, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

There is a new wire-free sports mp3 player at www.mi-sport.net which has no need for a screen you just press the buttons on the headphones to move on the tracks.It`s only 1gb but it may be enough.You can operate it without looking so your impairment isn`t a problem.Hope this helps.

Collapse -
This post has been alerted as an advertisement.
by Kees Bakker / October 12, 2007 2:40 AM PDT

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and let it stay. But I deleted all other 5 posts by this member that linked to the same shop.

Kees

Collapse -
well
by JonTitor / October 12, 2007 2:31 AM PDT

I'd guess the higher res larger screen players would be easier too see
but just about all of them are PVPs
the best I could think of for dedicated music is the iPod Touch but it's an awful lot to pay for for only listening to music

Collapse -
RCA Lyra.. can be operated by feel
by BassBinDevil / October 12, 2007 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: well

The now rather ancient RCA Lyra players like the RD1028 have 8 buttons and can be operated entirely by feel. The characters on the LCD display are about 1/8" high; I can barely read it without using the reading portion of my glasses, for what that's worth, so I'm guessing it won't be much help to someone with low VA.

But, like I said, it's easy to operate the player by feeling for the buttons; if I'm outside in bad weather I keep it zipped up in a pocket and use it by feel.

Built-in memory capacity on this series is limited (I think the highest model is 512M), but they have an expansion slot for SD cards. I've tested mine with up to 2 GB, which holds a very useful amount of music. You can find these players used for about $20, and another $20 should get you one or two gigs on an SD card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.