Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista won't shut down or hibernate..keeps rebooting

by cconnor13 / January 22, 2009 11:51 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron with Vista and everytime i try to shutdown or go into hibernation the system reboots. shutdown brings me back to the signon screen and hibernation brings me to the desktop. I usually keep aim running and never exit before i shutdown or hibernate i'm not sure if that is causing the issue.
I have also had the same issue of hibernation disappearing from my start menu after doing a disk cleanup but fixed that...is this part of that same issue maybe?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista won't shut down or hibernate..keeps rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista won't shut down or hibernate..keeps rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Updates
by FrankQC / January 25, 2009 7:06 AM PST

Well ok. I only have two suggestions.

1. Update everything. literally, everything.
2. Shutdown through CMD. The command is: shutdown -s -t 0
It will shutdown in 0 seconds.

Collapse -
Ambien hangover
by DooWolf / January 25, 2009 10:44 AM PST

I have a similar problem. I don't believe the "wake up" function on my keyboard works. Here's what happens.

Instead of shutting down, I'm used to hitting the "hibernate" (new keyboard calls it "sleep") key. OK fine. The machine stops computing, the screen goes dark and the lights on my tower go off. Is it sleeping? I have no idea.

I then push the "wakeup" key on my keyboard. Nothing. I have to reboot, not just hit the reset button, but power off my power strip, power on two seconds later, then hit the start button on my tower. And I have no idea what I've done to my registry.

When I do all that, magically the screen restores to the screen I had when I hit the "sleep" key but I don't think the process was as simple as the "sleep" "wakeup" process was meant to be.

Help?

Collapse -
not sure
by cconnor13 / January 26, 2009 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Ambien hangover

I don't think I can help you because i have a laptop and i only use teh power button for restoring from sleep or hibernation. i have shut down a few times after exiting from aim and haven't had a problem so i'm pretty sure that is what was causing it.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you at least tried my proposal?
by FrankQC / January 26, 2009 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: not sure
Collapse -
Continuing Ambien hangover
by DooWolf / January 26, 2009 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: not sure

Just for fun, I tried your process of pushing the sleep button (machine either hibernates or turns off--I don't know which), then I hit the power button. No action. The machine stays off. Again, and this is really mysterious to me, I have to turn the power off at the power strip, turn it back on two seconds later, then hit the power button on the front of my tower. And prestochango, the computer springs back to life.

One bit of info I just discovered. When I do the restart as decribed above, the windows booting process shows a message that says "RESUMING Windows" (emph added). . . . i.e., maybe the machine was sleeping since the alert was not "starting" or "loading" windows but "resuming".

I'll send this message, then do a standard shutdown and startup, and watch the screen for messages when performing the full shutdown and startup and report back.

Thanks for your interest.

Collapse -
Continuing Ambien Hangover, II
by DooWolf / January 26, 2009 8:13 AM PST

So I did the standard shutdown/reboot. I learned this: There's no "resuming Windows" alert. Just the typical loading icon in which the vetical lines scroll from left to right with the word "Windows" below them. So apparently, the sleep button works, since I get the "resuming Windows" alert when I power back up. I'm thinkin' this screwy power strip shutoff and tower startup is part of the litany required to wake my machine up.

I don't imagine Gates planned this. Maybe I have a bad Wakeup switch on my keyboard? I think so . . .

Collapse -
?
by FrankQC / January 26, 2009 8:15 AM PST

What's the problem you're having. I can't figure it out.

Collapse -
Hangover, III
by DooWolf / February 3, 2009 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: ?

The problem is outlined in the entries above. But briefly, my new computer will not wake up from the "sleep" or "hibernate" mode without manually powering off the system from my surge protector, then pushing the power button on the computer.

Why doesn't the "wake-up" button on my keyboard work?

Since the OS reports it is "resuming Windows" when I initiate the reboot described in the first paragraph above, I concluded that the machine did in fact hibernate when I hit the sleep button, but the "wake up" button didn't do what it was supposed to do. I'm stickin' with my earlier analysis, the "wake up" button just doesn't work. I'll limp along with the powerdown/power up process for now.

Collapse -
More Information...
by originalmike007 / February 6, 2009 8:43 AM PST

cconner13,

I have a similar problem and am looking for a solution.

Would you please tell me more about your system.
Especially what processor and version of windows you are running.
What were the circumstances that this problem began?
Have you ever had a USB or network device fail to be recognized or networked to by Vista?
Have you updated windows and all device drivers?
Do you see a blue screen of death on shutdown or a notice that windows has recovered form a serious problem or something similar on startup? If so what is the error code displayed.

Collapse -
Ambien Hangover Revisited
by DooWolf / February 21, 2009 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: More Information...

I took my computer in for a one-month tuneup to my computer engineer and discussed the problem I'm having with the sleep mode (see above). He had a solution.

Evidently Vista does not support the "sleep" mode, which is a level of activity just above "hibernate". So the sleep button on my keyboard was just hard-stopping my computer and it resulted in programs such as internet connections to not reboot when I restarted.

Instead, he re-programmed my start button to allow for a hibernate mode. Go to Control Panel, then System and Maintenance, then Power Options, and finally, "Choose what the Power Buttons Do".

Click on the boxes "When I press the power button" and "When I press the sleep button" and choose "hibernate" for both.

This creates an alternative to the hard-reset you ordinarily would have if you pressed the power button when the machine was activated. If you soft-press the button (just tap it lightly and don't hold it down) it will transition into hibernate. Then when you want to reactivate the computer, hit the power button again and you'll be back up in less time and your programs that were displayed when you hibernated will come back up.

This is a much shorter booting process and saves energy. The only downside is every once in awhile you want to do a shutdown to clear the computer ram.

Collapse -
the following solution worked for me
by feelharrys / February 7, 2012 2:28 PM PST

I had this problem and it drove me crazy for months, then i stumbled upon this solution in a forum, although it sounds innocuous it worked perfectly for me. I thought i will give a try before forwarding this solution on to forums, it worked so well that i actually forgot i had this problem. it's been 3 months. Usually i don't post on forums but i remember i was so frustrated and went through 100's of solution and so i thought if i ever get this issue resolved i will definitely post my solution. So here it is:
Go to: Control Panel>>Device Manager>> Network Adapter>>Wireless adapter>>Power management>>UNCHECK THE BOX.

I have a dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista SP2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.