PC Applications forum

General discussion

Vista won't let me "move" a file

by erangel / September 2, 2010 2:36 PM PDT

I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop. I have alot of pics that I want to move to an external drive, but Vista will only let me "copy" them. Then I have to delete the original. This takes too much time. How can I get Vista to let me "move" the pics, instead of just copying them? Or is there a free or cheap program I can use to "move" my pics? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I use to use Powerdesk with XP, but it causes crashes in Vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista won't let me "move" a file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista won't let me "move" a file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How does it prevent you?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 3, 2010 6:32 AM PDT

Any error messages?

How are you trying to move these files?

If you attempt to 'drag and drop' files from one hard disk to another, (whether external or internal), Vista will automatically assume you want to copy, and not Cut/Paste.

When I want to do this I just select all the files, cut, then paste in the new location. But I don't do that often. If I cut, then the system fails in anyway then I risk losing all those files, so I use the method you are using, copy, paste, then delete the ones I just copied from.

Mark

Collapse -
No option to just "move" the file
by erangel / September 3, 2010 12:08 PM PDT

There's never an error message. I tried the cut/paste option, had the same result as you. So, I usually just drag/drop. I have Xp on my desktop, it doesn't just "assume" I want to "copy" the file or pic. I can drag/drop and the file actually will move to the intended destination. But, Vista just "assumes" I want only to "copy" the file or pic? Why would it do that? If I drag/drop a file or pic, obviously I want to "move" it! It should give the option to "move", not just "copy" the file! And, I really don't want to have to delete the original file. Sometimes, that has caused a problem also. Anyhow, thanx for the reply.

Collapse -
It's a cross-drive feature...
by John.Wilkinson / September 3, 2010 12:30 PM PDT

If you drag-and drop files/folders from one location to another on the same drive, they will be moved by default. However, if the locations are on different drives, they will be copied by default. This is the default behavior on XP, Vista, and 7. However, you can force a move if you hold down the Shift key while performing the drag-and-drop, which is the same as performing a cut-and-paste.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
It worked!!
by erangel / September 7, 2010 8:36 AM PDT

Hey-WOW!! That actually worked! And, it was so easy. Thanks alot! Now I don't have to download another program!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.