Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Vista wmp not playing avi files

by turner15 / April 7, 2007 9:02 PM PDT

I just bought a new compaq, has windows vista on it. when i download movies from limewire they wont play in the windows media player 11. i also couldnt get them to play in quick time player or itunes player. most movies downloaded were .avi files. i could only get a few mp3 movie files to play....help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista wmp not playing avi files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista wmp not playing avi files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Playing avi files on vista wmp
by ecofriz / April 12, 2007 9:23 AM PDT

I am having this problem as well. I just bought a compaq laptop which has vista and I can't play avi files (in windows media player). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Collapse -
1. Try VLC PLAYER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

2. Some are noting some success with K Lite Codec Pack.

I have not tested item 2.

Bob

Collapse -
wmp avi vista
by ecofriz / April 12, 2007 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 1. Try VLC PLAYER

Thanks Bob Wink

Collapse -
by davelch17 / May 6, 2007 8:55 AM PDT

This is an easy fix. You don't need to get vlc player or any codex. Divx is what you need. http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/ Go to this site and get at least the free version. This will make WMP play all AVI downloaded files.

Collapse -
by computersuck / May 15, 2007 3:17 PM PDT

davelch17...I clicked the link and downloaded the files but WMP 11 on vista still won't play my avi files. I am completly computer illiterate so I am looking for any help. Do I need to do anything after I download the files? Please help...I'm trying to use Windows movie maker and it is really annoying that these avi files won't work!

Collapse -
You need to ask the maker of those AVI files to..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2007 9:27 PM PDT

Convert them to something movie maker can use.

VLCPLAYER (noted above) should let you play them.

Bob

Collapse -
wmm won't play avi's
by phaylen / January 10, 2008 5:21 PM PST

i think that is unreasonable to ask all fo us who woork with extremely large .AVI files in bulk to go out and convert them. That's days and days of work and most certainly lots of loss of quality and corrupted files. I use fraps to make films, and they auto save in .AVI format. XP had no problem with this. Vista, on the otehr hand, literally refuses to play a .AVI file, no matter which codec i download, klite, divx, vistacodecs, none of them work. I have tried playing the files in winamp, windows media player, and when importing them into Movie Maker i am given an error... nothing will make these play. After days of search i am totally discouraged and instead of converting 162 filed, installing windows xp on my laptop.

Collapse -
Tell it to the Bills.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2008 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: wmm won't play avi's

My point is that you should be grousing about this to those that issue said software or the person who issued the AVI without telling you what CODEC is needed. For those that don't know about CODECs we have to wait for them to attend CODEC 101.

Bob

Collapse -
AVIs play on notebook but not tower
by jredifer1 / March 15, 2011 3:13 PM PDT

I have a notebook with Vista that plays .avi files all day long. But my tower running Vista refuses. I don't see a solution here. Very frustrating. Next time I'll buy a MAC.

Collapse -
Play AVI on WMP
by colarmac / March 17, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.