Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista - widows explorer shutting down

by dinkydo53545 / January 6, 2008 3:12 PM PST

I have a Gateway GM5442 w/Vista 4400@2.00GHZ 2.00GHZ 32-bit 2038mb memory . Also I have a tv tuner which I love. No matter what I do, like like try to move recorded tv programs to a external disk or a cd , my programs that are open close up and I get a message that windows explorer needs to shut down and starting up again. I cant get anything done. If I try 5 times to copy or move the show/or pictures, it shuts down 5 times.

I Talked on line to Gateway tech, bought a system restored disk and reinstalled from factory like they said , did updates and still get the same problems.

I get a error message and a fix but when I go to Microsoft and download it , then run it ,I get a message that Vista does not need this install.

So I am not sure how to fix this problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista - widows explorer shutting down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista - widows explorer shutting down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) run "check disk"
by Dango517 / January 6, 2008 3:24 PM PST
Collapse -
run malware and anti virus scans
by Dango517 / January 6, 2008 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: run "check disk"

Are your up dates up to date? Check, don't skip this step.

This might be a maintenance issue, so we'll check that first then check for a security problem. I had a problem just like this for awhile when I first installed Vista but since then an up date has been issued that fixed it. If your up dates are up to date this might be a glitch/error in the OS. Any error messages? list it/them here. Be precise about the wording. I need all of it.

Collapse -
malware and anti virus scans
by dinkydo53545 / January 7, 2008 12:02 AM PST

I ran defrag , disk cleanup,and then spybot and my virus protection , there was nothing. I then did windows update and ran the few programs it said. I always notice when I view the Windows Update log that there are about 30 updates that failed. Could that cause any of my problems ? I tried running a few of them and they said they werent need on my vista .

Collapse -
sypbot message
by dinkydo53545 / January 7, 2008 12:39 AM PST

I just received a message from spybot about an important registry being change and gave me two long codes. A ton of numbers. It did that once last year after I got this pc and change everything, I had to take it to a gateway service center that erased everything off my pc. Thats why I had to buy a recovery cd. I will leave that error message up on my screen in case you need to know what it says.

Collapse -
With this one
by Dango517 / January 7, 2008 1:16 PM PST

you might be having an activation problem. This can be checked by going to system in control panel. there at the bottom it will tell you if your activated also go to the Validation site at Microsoft and click the button to validate your system.

Here's the link:

This has two problems associated with it, first, your downloads will not install properly and the, second, is your system will top functioning after 30 days, just won't go, total crash. I learned this one the hard way on my first Vista boot up.

See your security software vendors site to find out what's up with those error codes. There's usually a data base you can search. Unless this is freeware you should have support for free from them. This is there software, don't be timid about contacting them, your paying for this service.

Collapse -
Just FYI. Explorer still busted in this area...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 12:55 AM PST

Explorer still crash and burns with corrupt JPEG files and other media files. This issue was not resolved in Vista and the answer I get from MS is "don't do that." As in find the corrupt file and remove it. It's only a little tough since you only use Explorer to find if the directory has or does not have a file Explorer doesn't like.

Collapse -
by dinkydo53545 / January 7, 2008 5:39 AM PST

Thanks. Thats going to be hard to do , finding the right one that corrupt without going through each one. I am still not sure about what to do with the error message that spybot gave me, about changing my registry, Not sure whether to accept or deny it. Should I post them on a new topic ?

Collapse -
spybot error
by dinkydo53545 / January 7, 2008 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Spybot

Disregard the message about the spybot deny or allow. I notice everything you do it gives you that same type of message Happy

Collapse -
How I find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: Spybot

I use another file browser like GYULA'S NAVIGATOR (see google) and move 1/2 the files out to a test directory. It's a sort of binary search method so in less than 5 tries I usually have the file isolated.

Collapse -
wind explr
by dinkydo53545 / January 7, 2008 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: How I find it.

Great, thanks alot alot for your help , all of you actually. I love this forum. I will try that when I get off work in the morning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.