Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista SP1 will not install

by dushi37 / October 23, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

I've been trying to install Vista SP1 without success, all I get is the error message 800B0100.There seems to be no solution for this problem but re-installing Vista! My PC is a Dell Dimension E521 and works fine. All the other updates are installed without a problem.
Maybe someone has a solution and/or advice in this matter. Thank you in advance.
Regards, dushi 37

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista SP1 will not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista SP1 will not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of thoughts
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

Couple of thoughts:

1: Are you using the online installer or did you download the full "network professionals" offline installer? When it comes to service packs, I tend to recommend people skip the online installers completely. One little hiccup in your Internet connection and all hell can break loose with your system. If you have the full offline installer, did you consider the possibility that maybe you got a bad download, and that's what is causing your problem?

2: Did you check to see if Dell possibly has a special version of Vista SP1 for its systems? While not common for Dell, sometimes OEMs have to make custom versions of service packs as a result of changes they make to the operating system to tailor it to their systems.

Collapse -
Vista SP1
by dushi37 / October 24, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple of thoughts

I tried to install the SP1 package offered bij Automatic Updates AND the package I downloaded from the Windows download page, both versions suitable for my PC's system.I downloaded it several times and have been reading, I think< all the information available for the error message. In the CBS- Log-file it says that there is something wrong with the signature of this SP1 (whatever it means!)
Dell couldn't give any assistance (my machine is one and an half year old).
I am afraid I have to do a re-installation of the OS, I really don't know what and how to do this......
Thanks for your answer, maybe there is a "normal"solution for this error.

Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista SP1

Sounds like you have some dodgy RAM in that case. Or possibly you've stumbled across the first signs of filesystem corruption underway.

I'd download a copy of memtest86, and let it run overnight. Ideally you won't see any errors listed, but realistically you might see a few. If you're seeing a pretty steady stream of errors, then it seems pretty clear you've got some bad RAM. If that passes, then you get to move on to testing other possibilities.

Collapse -
Light reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 4:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista SP1 will not install
by dushi37 / October 24, 2008 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Light reading.

Thank you for your help. I'm just a "normal PC user"and I have to read this long posting-story carefully to understand what is going on there!!!I'm not sure yet if I can perform these high-tech issues and wonder if it wouldn't be easier for me to re-install Vista?

Collapse -
Just a suggestion.
by mopscare42 / October 24, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

When I first tried to install service pack 1 I had the same problem.
I think it was Griff on another thread suggested to run a complete virus scan. do a disc cleanup to get rid of any crap you don't need.
Be sure that UAC is turned off.
Save the download to the desktop or downloads and try to install it from there.
After doing it that way, it installed with no problem.
I have a HP computer not a Dell if that makes any difference.

Collapse -
Vista SP1- will nog install
by dushi37 / October 24, 2008 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a suggestion.

Hello Wayne,
Thank for your reply. I did all the things you mentioned, and I did them several times.. Microsoft Support had me check my whole machine, I spent endless hours to execute all the advices I got and to read about this problem.
The MS Update Readiness Tool found 4 errors, they are probably the culprits for the install-disaster. But...
MS doesn't provide me (us) with a remedy for these errors. Their help ended in telling me that the best thing to do would be re-installation of Vista. In the net-tech forum I learned that MS actually has the files to restore these errors. Btw my HP laptop installed SP1 without the slightest problem!
I think I'm going to spend this weekend on re-installation and hope for the best.

Collapse -
Focus on the discussion where they mention TAKEOWN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

Yes I agree these things should not cause the owners to have to do all this.

Collapse -
You're not alone in your frustration
by ESL Trainer / October 28, 2008 2:25 PM PDT

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite and have tried several times to install. It ties up my computer while taking forever, gets all the way to the end of the installation, tells me the very last bit wouldn't install properly, then proceeds to uninstall, which also takes forever. A few hours later, all I have to show for it is a headache and dry mouth from beating my head against the wall and swearing.

After so many tries, I've given up for a while and ignore the update notice (yeah, I know I shouldn't). Call MicroSoft? After going rounds with them when trying to reinstall XP when I had my Dell Inspiron, and having them tell me the disk that came with my computer was an illegal copy (Ah, Dell, who knew, eh?) I knew I couldn't go through that again. If they weren't so expensive, I'd have purchased a MAC.

I figure one of these days, maybe they'll come out with an updated Service Pack I can actually install. (The latest one is an update. That's why I'd decided to try it again.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.