Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Vista not connecting to internet

by haijal / January 1, 2013 11:27 AM PST

ok guys I have been trying everything on the internet for the past three days. Everything on this site and others, used the winsocks tool, went through the command prompt and used winsock reset catalog, recycled the router, tried to update the router.

A little background information, this laptop was one that my fiancee had before we were together and three nights ago i decided to try to fix it. Before it would restart itself in a loop before even running the bios. I pressed F11 as soon as the computer turned on and it booted up. And I have restarted and it many time ever since. I have completed all the windows updates that it has missed.

The computer connects to the router but not the internet, and it will connect to the internet through a wired connection.

My question is if I upgrade the laptop to Windows 8 would it solve the problem? I am using At&t uverse internet.

haijal has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista not connecting to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista not connecting to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by haijal

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2013 10:54 PM PST

No, upgrading the OS when you have an existing problem usually just makes things worse. It's like finding out you built a house on soft soil that can barely support the weight of the house as-is, and then saying, "Maybe if I add a second story, that will help!"

It sounds like you're talking about the wireless connection not working, and it's difficult to help when you leave out any details about what exactly happens when you try. I also don't see anything about whether or not maybe there is MAC Address filtering configured on the router, or if you've reset the router to its default configuration to see if it has a corrupted set of preferences. I had AT&T service not too long ago, and every now and again, the DSL modem would just up and stop working for no apparent reason. I would have to reset completely the thing before it would work. Not reboot, mind, reset. Hold in the reset button for about 10 seconds to clear everything and revert it to factory condition.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: not connected to Internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 11:06 PM PST

The usual reason, if other wireless devices work: no good password key given for the enctrypted connection. Then, when hovering the mouse over the wireless symbol in the task bar you'll see a message about limited connectivity.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_limited_connectivity_and_how_do_i_fix_it.html tells more about it.
If no luck, please post the full output of ipconfig (from the command prompt, don't forget to press enter) in your answer.

If othter wireless devices don't work either, it's a router issue.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.