Windows Vista forum

Question

Vista Networking Features Have Gone All Outta Whack

by banj0999 / October 22, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

My household recently upgraded our Verizon FiOS to their "Quantum" feature. I'll opt not to complain about this scam for now. With the upgrade, we also had our router replaced with their most recent model.
I decided to update security, so I disabled SSID broadcasting and enabled WPA2 encryption.
To get better reception on the upper floors, I installed an A/C outlet wireless extender that broadcasts as [Network Name]_EXT, but I believe that should be irrelevant; because, although the PC I'm using rests directly next to this extender, I opted to connect it wirelessly to the router itself.

Since all this, my PC has experienced problem after problem:
Connection to the Internet will randomly cut off. Hovering over the networking icon reveals I have "Limited Connectivity" and the network name has been changed to [Network Name] 2. [Network Name] 2 3 decided to join the party recently, as well. All three are now displayed in the Connect or Disconnect menu with the same SSID but different names.
No matter which I connect to, it seems they all eventually switch to "Limited Connectivity." Switching between them fixes this temporarily, but it's getting tedious having to manually switch to the same network with different names so often (I had to do it twice while typing this post).

I've never seen anything like this. For the love of bajeezus, can someone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Networking Features Have Gone All Outta Whack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Networking Features Have Gone All Outta Whack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Also...
by banj0999 / October 22, 2013 4:08 PM PDT

No other device in the house has this problem. Laptops, tablets, phones, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, etc. It's just the wirlessly-connected, Windows Vista 64-bit PC.

Collapse -
Any of those other nodes VISTA?
by Edward ODaniel / October 23, 2013 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Also...

Vista had problems with several routers. Try a google search for "Vista" WITH "insert name and model of router here" including the quotes and see if your new router is one that shows up as problematic and what if anything helped solve the problem (often replacing with a different but compatible router was the only cure)

Collapse -
I loved the Vista Beam Of Death issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2013 11:58 PM PDT

But hiding the SSID is like boating at low tide. Great way to find new rocks.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
disabled SSID broadcasting = troubles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2013 4:45 PM PDT

As you did that, I don't expect networking to be without troubles. There are folk that DEMAND this work but I'm not one of them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.