Computer Help

General discussion

Vista keeps restarting on shutdown

by good4u45 / January 15, 2009 10:22 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion dv9310us notebook with Vista Home Premium. I have not made any changes recently, but three days ago, everytime I perform a shutdown, my notebook restarts. I am forced to power down using the power button and I know this is not the correct way. Sometimes when I power back on, the Windows Restore/Repair screen comes up but sill it continues to cycle through restarts. I did a system restore back to when it was working correctly and it did not fix the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista keeps restarting on shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista keeps restarting on shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CALL IT IN!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 10:55 AM PST

There is some issues with the dv____ series and the problems begin with innocuous problems like this and the owner is incensed later when it fails out of warranty and HP wants them to pay for the motherboard.

Be sure to uninstall Zone Alarm for a test too. (wild guess, but I uninstalled 2 last month.)
Bob

Collapse -
This worked for me
by feelharrys / February 7, 2012 2:33 PM PST

I had this problem and it drove me crazy for months, then i stumbled
upon this solution in a forum, although it sounds innocuous it worked
perfectly for me. I thought i will give a try before forwarding this
solution on to forums, it worked so well that i actually forgot i had
this problem. it's been 3 months. Usually i don't post on forums but i
remember i was so frustrated and went through 100's of solution and so i
thought if i ever get this issue resolved i will definitely post my
solution. So here it is:
Go to: Control Panel>>Device Manager>> Network
Adapter>>Wireless adapter>>Power management>>UNCHECK
THE BOX.

I have a dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista SP2

Collapse -
For Inpsiron 1525 Vista SP2
by feelharrys / February 7, 2012 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: This worked for me

UNCHECK THE BOX next to (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.