Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista freezes every 1 or 2 minutes

by obridge / February 5, 2007 1:46 AM PST

Hi, there,

I just upgraded from XP SP2 to vista ultimate. The process was smooth, although it took 2 to 3 hours to finish. However, when running vista, the mouse arrow froze for about 30 sec for every 1 or 2 min of running time. I can not really use vista. I wonder if you know how to resolve this issue.

My system: 2x 2.8Gh processors, 2 g ram, 64 mb Geforce video card (is this the problem?)

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista freezes every 1 or 2 minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista freezes every 1 or 2 minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us about the mouse...
by John.Wilkinson / February 5, 2007 5:23 AM PST

Is it wireless, a laser mouse, or a regular ball mouse? It may be that you need to track down updated drivers for it to work properly under Vista. The graphics card is also a possibility, but if the video does not freeze as well (only the cursor) then I would all but rule it out.

Let us know.
John

P.S. Have you run the Vista compatibility test yet to check for incompatabilities?

Collapse -
Thanks
by obridge / February 6, 2007 5:12 PM PST

John,
Thanks for help. The mouse is a regular microsoft cable mouse. I purchased a new video card (ATI x1650) today but it did nor resolve the problem. Safe mode was fine. Everything should be compatible. I got performance score of 4.1 but it just kept freezing for a min or two every few second. I am trying a clean installation now to see.

OB

Collapse -
Vista Freezes
by m_geldard / May 13, 2007 7:24 PM PDT

If you have installed Vista and it is Freezing stop using the Windows Theme AERO My Vista PC Froze every 10 - 15 Mins I traced it to the Windows Theme AERO changed the theme and vista has not froozen in 3 days of constant use. Right click the desktop , Select Personalization ,Windows Color and Appearance, Change the theme and OK that I am using Vista Basic (Theme) .No further problems with PC.

Collapse -
Vista Mouse Freezes
by WJRooney / October 28, 2008 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Freezes

I tried the changing the themes and that had no effect but changing the mouse pointer to a pointer Scheme other than Aero helped. I used 3d Bronz.

Collapse -
This seem to have fixe my freezing probleme . Thanks a lot
by Skylyne_ / February 6, 2009 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Freezes

If you have installed Vista and it is Freezing stop using the Windows Theme AERO My Vista PC Froze every 10 - 15 Mins I traced it to the Windows Theme AERO changed the theme and vista has not froozen in 3 days of constant use. Right click the desktop , Select Personalization ,Windows Color and Appearance, Change the theme and OK that I am using Vista Basic (Theme) .No further problems with PC.

Thanks alot.
J.C.

Collapse -
Vista Narcolepsy Annoying!
by azdsl / February 8, 2007 4:06 AM PST

I have the exact same problem. It's driving me nuts. Appears to freeze for about 30 seconds randomly.

Collapse -
Very Disruptive
by Skoody / April 29, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

Same issue here. Have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000, Windows Experience Index number of 5.4, 2gigs of Crucial 6400, Athlon 64 X2 5600 and a great video card.

Have to say VBista is a dissapointment. When the system hangs every 15 min for 10 to 30 seconds, its more than frustrating, it's very disruptive. Can't find anything that is causing this. Any thoughts would be apopreciated.

Collapse -
Mouse freezes
by McDeb / February 15, 2007 12:45 AM PST

I have the same problem on my Dell E1505 Inspiron notebook. This does not seem to happen until the computer has been on for more than 30 minutes. Weird.

Collapse -
Vista Mouse Freezes
by alamocats / February 26, 2007 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse freezes

Brand New eMachines with Vista from Office Depot and after multiple freezes and complete replacement of the tower (at no charge) the newest solution provided is to purchase a Vista certified mouse. Geek Squad the authorized service company offered to come to my house and test compatibility with Vists for $159+ tax. What a crock.

Sure enough, starting at $40, up to $100 look for the Vista certified logo on devices. Strange that the original equipment is not compatible, but then again if the Vista revenue stream is slow, I guess Microsoft can supplement income with authorized Vista licenses.

Where is Service Pack 1 for Vista? Hopefully it will contain drivers to support most industry keyboards, mice and printers.

Collapse -
Power Settings
by durrson / May 8, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

For a while my PC kept crashing / freezing and it was totally random. I couldn't find a solution to the problem so after searching, I came across the answer in another forum - try this before you muck around with driver software and system settings

The answer answer given was simply to change the power settings from Balanced to High Performance.

Presto! Not more crashes and really easy to do!!

Collapse -
logitech mice freeze with vista home premium
by kevingiardini / May 12, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Settings

You guys, I face the same problem excep that my mouse just does not function. I mean when I first upgraded to vista my mx700 optical mouse worked. But, all of a sudden the cursor would not move. I tried everything, went to logitech downloaded the vista driver, tried different usb ports, used bought two new mouse that is non logitech, one with usb the otehr with p/2 and none worked. I even tried to unplugg and replugg the mouse usb port. To my suprise, when I do that, the right bottom hand of my screen pops in a statement indicating that it has successfully installed the usb optical mouse. so, it recongized that there is a mouse. Yet it still does not work.

Collapse -
Email reply to member.
by YankeesNYwins / May 14, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

Dear YankeesNYwins
I have vista ultimate on one hard drive and XP Pro on another and while usiing the vista my internet speed seemed slower than it should be. I ran a speed test and found it running at 3.4 meg and I have a 5 meg internet. I switched drive to XP and ran a test there and got the usual 4.8 meg there and then went back to vista and retested again and got 3.2 meg for speed. What do I have to do to get my internet speed up or change in vista to resolve this problem. Or is this the first time this problem has come up...Any ideas or answers to this will be appreaciated...Thanks...JOhn

My answer.

Vista is a resource hog. It is my best guess that resources needed to get you up to XP speed is being consumed by the Vista processes that are running.

As an experiment I downloaded 60 GB's of folders and files from an external hard drive to a folder on Windows XP and it took 5 minutes. I downloaded the same 60 GB's from an external hard drive on Vista and four hours later it was still not finished.

The DRM program and other crap have crippled the operating system.

Hope this helps and sorry I don't know the exact answer but I bet I am right.
Jimmy Carter
YankeesNYwins

I also think you people that have your Vista freezing problems need more ram because the operating system is a HOG.

Collapse -
Need more help, please
by 123oaktree / October 30, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Settings

Changing the Power Setting to High Performance sounds like it would work. Pretend I am a 56 yr old computer rookie with Acer computer, Vista, and Internet Explorer. Trying to solve the freezing problem so daughter can continue to go to online college. 0$ to invest right now.

Could I have a little more detail? I can get into the Admin program. THANKS!!!!!

Collapse -
Vista freezes for 10 minutes
by RGare / June 22, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

My computer started freezing up about a week after the installation of Vista for about 10 minutes. My Avast would stop half way through a scan, even a boot time scan. Ad-aware would do the same thing. Hardware seemed to check out good. So I deleted Ad-aware and Avast and tried AVG Pro not the free version before I tried a re-installation of Vista and last resort a trip to the store that built the computer. The scan took 12 hours. It was set to do a thorough scan of all 4 hard drives. Next morning I did a reboot as recommended by AVG and 3 days later still not 1 freeze up. It was locking up a couple of times an hour even when idle. I could tell by the clock being off.

Collapse -
vista freezing
by algorlex / July 11, 2007 12:33 AM PDT

Hi obridge,
I bought a new Dell9300 with a Gforce8800gt card and had the same problem from the day I received it.Thought it was the card but went to Dell help who took control of the PC.
To cut it short it was because my Roxio software needed an upgrade. The tech did this and no problems since.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Vista Freezing
by fredasparagus / September 11, 2008 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: vista freezing

I use a 2006 HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. It too had been freezing after being on for only 10 minutes or as long as a couple of hours. Reviewed all system options and found nothing out of place, then read something in an internet discussion web site about power settings, something about changing from balanced to performance power settings, and found another comment that recommended to check for driver updates for the system. I went to Windows Update and found 18 system and software updates needed, some critical. 16 were subsequently selected including one for the video driver.

After the updates were downloaded/installed the laptop has now been running error free for several days, from minimum load up to 100% of ram and 100% dual processors utilization (running security camera video and internet access over ethernet home lan and wireless G to this laptop), it now performs rock solid. Hopefully this info helps someone else like it did for me and after using a public forum such as CNET. Thanks!

Collapse -
Technical support addressed problem- conflict free stuff
by m.rowbotham / January 30, 2009 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Freezing

I have read all these messages and found none addressed the problem. In the end I phoned Dell technical support since my laptop was in warranty. They connected remotely and uninstalled free software that came with the pc - including google toolbar which was conflicting with vista toolbar which was indexing files in the backgroud at the same time. After this call my computer is fine and no longer freezes at all. I would recommmend if you are having this problem to uninstall free software that came with your pc and remove google toolbar and setup vista toolbar instead. Ideally a call to technical support should be able to resolve it. If the problem is the same as mine it isn't a vista issue or any other windows settings - these area a red herring.

Collapse -
Vista Freezing
by Ajndrews / January 6, 2008 10:50 PM PST

Hi i guess ill chime in on the Vista Freezing club and tell you about my same experience here. I have had vista running since March 07, havn't experienced any freezing until this early January 08. Sure its had a hicup or two from time to time but its nothing like it has been.

First off system specs.

Cooler Master Stacker 830 evolution + 7 thermal take fans, Western Digital 160gb Corsair harddrive 4th WD this year not the same size corsair... no harddrive is really holding up recently.. hmmm, Abit In9 + wifi Motherboard, Zalman's CNPS9500 heatsink, Intel E6600 overclocked 200mhz - 600mhz it varys depending on performance, Asus EN8800gtx at stock cant get the overclock to stick what so ever. - Corsair 8500 dominator ram just died so im using my G-skill i forgot what it is cuz newegg is kicking me out of my account LOL but it only scores a 5.0 while my dominator ram scores a 5.9. I use a Corsair ram fan, Sound Blaster Fatil!ty sound card. The now defunct Plextor drive that dont work with vista lol. a sony dvd rom drive that isnt capable of installing a few dvds or cd apps such as Medieval total war 2 and Eldar Scrolls Oblivion...and yes it has the latest firmware, i use the plextor when shes shootin blanks, also an extra cd rom drive.

So as u can tell i have a modest high end system. Personally i hated intel but the simple fact that there hardware is besting AMD to the max was a bitter pill to swallow but totally worth it when viewing the upgrade process.

OK so now vista is freezing from time to time... it started when my daughter was pushing the cooler masters power button ... ARGH! cuz that GREAT case doesnt have ONE simple THING for us ADULTS!!! A simple accessory needed to cover the power button like a plastic window thingy. They build a door with hinges that changes sides a mobo tray that slides out but no cover for the front port and power button accessories on the case... just plain stupid. Oh and my abit bios does not have the ability to disable the power button only delay it ... ^^

Simply put YOU BETTER NOT SHUT DOWN VISTA WHILE APPS ARE RUNNING! YOU WILL LOSE TONS OF DATA CORRUPTING VISTA AND THIS WILL KILL YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!

no people im not joking my daughter started pushin that button and since then ive gone thru 3 harddrives RUNNING Vista and 1 running xp. Kids they do the darndest things.

Now i have this occasional system freeze while i run ANY browser but NOT in games. i believe the only solution is to reinstall but i have no clue i built this system and havnt had THIS kind of problem theres no evidence of clues anywhere to fix anything so im lost... personally i just think u all got bad harddrives or bad ram or the wrong ram timings those are usually the main culprits here. Check all your connections and replace ram and harddrives with a fresh install to see if this fixes ur problems itll prolly fix mine ill repost at a later time when i get more dough to shovel into my pc.

Collapse -
doh
by Ajndrews / January 6, 2008 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Freezing

Oh I forgot Vista Ultimate is also freezing for 20 seconds on startup and when some apps are opening or running not just the browser... somtimes it goes away but it creeps around.

Thx for reading that long post and GL to all those that quest for this solution. Plz report back here to tell us how you fixed that pesky bug.

Collapse -
Mouse freezes on Vista start up unless in motion
by karlkroger / January 12, 2008 5:18 AM PST

I upgraded to Windows Vista a few months ago and whenever my computer starts the both my wireless and plain mouse freeze up. My wireless Logitech mouse will not work at all unless I plug in the plain mouse and move it around during startup and during loading. Then I can swap that out with the wireless mouse and it works. The wireless is not USB.

Any ideas how to fix this other than manually moving my hand around and swapping out mice?

Collapse -
Mouse and Music freeze Vista
by dr1v3ryan / May 2, 2008 11:18 AM PDT

hey guys I have same problem with Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium.!!! My mouse keeps freezing and also Windows media player! When i listen to music my mouse and sound freezes for like 10 seconds.. its driving me crazy! i have G5 Gaming mouse. I've installed the latest updates from Logitech and Windows , i also changed the theme from Aero to Basic and it still keeps on freezing can some one help me with this? i can't do my work and study because of this error!! Is Ultimate OS which makes it freeze? Will it be fine with home Premium .. or it same error on every Vista OS ?? Answer me help!!!

Collapse -
It's a Logitech Setpoint issue...
by John.Wilkinson / May 3, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

I have a Logitech Easy Call desktop and have encountered the same thing. After trying generic drivers, different keyboard/mice, etc. I discovered the problem lies with an audio driver bundled with Setpoint 4.00BR. (Your mouse takes Setpoint 4.40, but I assume a similar problem exists.) Every so often the driver will glitch while a sound is playing, causing all other devices associated with Setpoint (in my case mouse and keyboard, to stop working. In my case I uninstalled Setpoint, manually removed all keyboard/mouse/sound drivers from Logitech through Device Manager, then reinstalled and the problem resolved itself. In your case, if you don't have a Logitech sound system, you should be able to resolve the problem simply by manually removing any Logitech sound drivers present and rebooting, then checking for driver updates for your sound card from the sound card manufacturer's website.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
Risk it all?
by dr1v3ryan / May 3, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

Well Thank you For you help John its really nice of you! But i just installed WIN XP media Center . and im afraid to risk it all for Vista Home Premiumn/Ultimate. Because i have been fighting with this Vista Glitch or logithech glitch for 3 days! I Unistalled and Installed Vista OS 7 times i had huge headache!Do you think i should risk it all and do the Vista thing ? Btw I have Logitech Cordless Set EX 110 but i use only keyboard from that set and G5 Logitech Gaming MOuse!.So strange my glitches mostly happend after i installed the Updates! or some other Program! And Well I dont have any Sound drivers from Logitech!And i have in built mainbaord sound card! I have P35 Neo Mainboard 8600GT and intel core 2 duo! with 4 gigds of ram! So John im asking you to make me a favour?!could you check the mainboard on internet and tell me what should i do.. Go For vista or stay with XP

Collapse -
It worked !!!
by lmirguet / May 30, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

Hello,

I had the same mouse freeze problem for a year. And after having read your post, I tried to uninstall "Logitech Setpoint". And it worked!!!

Thank you very much!!!
the use of my computer is much more fluid now!

Laurent

Collapse -
Pointing out the obvious...
by Soul Raven / June 7, 2008 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked !!!

Granted there are a few posts regarding MS mice I found it interesting that alot of the failures were related to Logitec mice. Point blank SetPoint is the cause of alot of input device failures. Dell's mice are made by Logitec, and if you know anything about Dell Bluetooth you know how "bad" it is.

There was an issue recently where people lost functionality of keyboard/mouse after applying KB938371. But, the funny thing was that the majority of the affected devices where ones using Setpoint.

Anyways figured I'd be mister obvious. There was one post in this thread that mentioned setting Power Options to High Performance, give that a shot. The first poster however, didn't even meet the minimum recommended requirements for having Vista Ultimate on his machine which I thought was interesting.

Also, when talking about slow performance/startup you might want to look at what startup items you have enabled. MSCONFIG does wonders for performance issues. As well check the "Reliability and Performance Monitor". It has useful information in determining when you began having issues.

Wink

Collapse -
Solution: Vista freezes for a few seconds every so often
by zenith191 / January 1, 2009 10:17 AM PST

Cause: Vista is putting hard drive into sleep mode. When you do something that accesses the hard drive the IO call blocks for a few seconds.

Fix: Extend time before Vista puts hard drive to sleep in Control Panel -> System & Maintenance -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Hard Disk -> Turn off hard disk after ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.