Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Factory Image D?

by tywillie / June 20, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

Ihave a new HP desktop running Vista. When I pull up My Computer it shows all of my drives. Drive C - hard drive - Drive J - is my external drive and then it shows Drive D labled Factory Image. What is this? Can anyone tell me. When I explore the drive I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at. Can someone explain in simple terms please what Drive D Factory Image is. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Vista's been giving me problems after only a month, the boot record was corrupted and I had to reinstall to factory condition - needless to say,didn't have everything on external drive and lost a lot. Live and Learn.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Factory Image D?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Factory Image D?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A copy of Windows...
by John.Wilkinson / June 21, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Factory Image D?

It's more or less a copy of Windows as well as any other software that came pre-installed on your computer. It's there so you can directly recover your computer from it or, better yet, burn a set of recovery disks (instructions) from which you can restore your computer should you ever encounter massive corruption, malware attacks, or hardware failure and have to start over. Once you burn a set of recovery disks, and ensured they work, you may reformat that partition and use it for additional storage if you wish/need.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
wazzup
by yhko_jhie / March 7, 2010 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: A copy of Windows...

can i erase factory image D: or format it and switch to another windows like xp (i'm using windows vista)... i have recovery disk...then maybe someday i realize to install again my window vista.....can i use my recovery disk to install my windows vista????pls reply......

Collapse -
Yep, It's The Recovery Partition...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

As John mentioned above, the Recovery Parition allows the user to recover the computer back to it's factory condition should Windows become corrupted..

BE SURE to make the Recovery Discs (DVD or CD) because if the full hard drive dies, then the Recovery Partition will not work.. You'll need the Recovery Discs to restore back to the factory condition after replacing a hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
factory image
by scupper2112 / February 22, 2009 1:27 PM PST

can i download it to an external hard drive??

Collapse -
A few notes...
by John.Wilkinson / February 22, 2009 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: factory image

1.) They key word you would need to use is "clone" rather than download...they imply different processes.
2.) Yes, it is possible to clone the partition to an external hard drive.
3.) Cloning it to an external hard drive would not benefit you...you would not be able to create bootable CDs/DVDs from it, nor would you be able to boot to it. Therefore, I would not recommend doing it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Instead, Create Recovery Discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2009 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: factory image

Most computers allow you to create a Recovery Disc which can be used in situations where the hard drive dies and must be replaced. Such procedures can be found at the manufacturer's website or on the computer in the "Help and Support" sections.. If the hard drive is functional and only the C: drive is corrupted, the Recovery D: Partition can be used to restore the computer to its factory state.. The Recovery Discs can also be used but are of primary importance should the partition become corrupted.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
lost my factory image
by Ubuster1 / March 16, 2009 12:09 PM PDT

i noticed my d drive factory image has been deleted, what can i do to restore it?

Collapse -
You cannot...
by John.Wilkinson / March 16, 2009 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: lost my factory image

It is impossible to restore that partition once it has been deleted. However, you can order a set of recovery discs from the manufacturer for a nominal fee if you had not yet burned a set of your own from that partition.

John

Collapse -
thank you
by tywillie / June 21, 2008 11:51 AM PDT

thank you both - I already had to use the recovery disc once already within the first month of purchase of new computer. I am so frustrated with this Vista OS. I appreciate ya'alls response. Thank you again.

Collapse -
Factory image D
by kegpie / May 13, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

Can someone please explain why FID space 7.45gb total,but I have only 712MB free with a red line showing. Thank's in advance

Collapse -
Because data is added over time...
by John.Wilkinson / May 13, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Factory image D

The emergency partition's contents grow over time as more updates are installed, until the point where the capacity it reached. You can shrink C: and use that freed space to expand D: or you can burn the recovery CDs/DVDs (highly recommended, regardless) and then delete that partition, using the freed space to expand C: and relying on the CDs/DVDs and Windows Update should you need to in the future.

Remember, if the hard drive fails, becomes corrupt, et cetera, the recovery partition will cease to work, so the CDs/DVDs, while not updated as you install future updates, are a safer method of recourse.

John

Collapse -
FID
by NomadicTour / May 15, 2009 11:52 PM PDT

Do you have to delete the FID after you make a copy of it and becomes full?? And where does the info on the new updates get stored if you do delete the drive? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
D: Drive...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: FID

You do not have to delete the D: partition after burning the discs or once the partition becomes full, though it can be safely deleted once the discs have been burned. Once the partition is full or deleted, the updates are still installed normally but they are not added to the backup. Thus, if you restore your operating system from backup, you would have to re-download and re-install the updates that are not included in the backup.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Vista Factory Image D
by bill9972 / February 14, 2010 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: D: Drive...

I am getting the same message: "Low Disk Space
you are running out of disk space on Factory_Image D
To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

My problem is that there are no files on "drive" D. And yet it shows the "drive" as being almost completely full. And yes, I do have View set so I can see hidden files. There is simply nothing on the "drive" although the computer thinks it's full. I cannot clear the offending files as HP suggests, since there is nothing on the drive.

Today I tried reformatting the whole C: drive using my HP Vista 64 Recovery disks. They worked fine- cleared everything off the drive- but upon rebooting I still got the same maddening "Low Disk Space on Drive D...) message. It pops up constantly, and is driving me crazy.

I simply want the error messages to go away, and HP doesn't seem able to help me. Is it okay for me to simply delete the D: drive? I don't need it, and I don't want it. And I do have the recovery disks. Or is there another workaround? I am frankly afraid to put more software/hardware on this computer or rely on it in any way until I am sure the problem is fixed. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
This almost always happens after using a registry cleaner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Factory Image D

But if you google that message you find it's not unusual and there are many choices on how to turn it off.

Collapse -
Low disk space on Factory_Image D error message
by bill9972 / February 14, 2010 11:46 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. You're right, there are many, many suggestions out there for fixing the problem, but none of them seem to apply to my situation. I've tried every one I've found, including the ones here and they don't help. I didn't use a registry cleaner; the problem arose as the result of using MS backup which tried to put everything in the virtual D drive. HP is aware of the problem and has a fix posted but it doesn't help me. HP wants me to delete the file with my computer's name from the D drive. But there is no such file on the drive- only files that are specifically supposed to be left alone. I hoped that reformatting the HD would solve the problem, but it did not. Any suggestions very much welcomed. Thanks.

Collapse -
Then the news is indeed grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 11:54 PM PST

Let's say you have a new unique problem. Not to disagree with you but let's go with that.

This means the OS is damaged beyond repair. I'm not saying you have discovered a new issue but if you have the fix is going to be not one I know of or have read before.

I also have to write that the OS is heavily damaged since you claim fixes like http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm do not work.
Bob

Collapse -
Success
by bill9972 / February 15, 2010 11:58 PM PST

Thanks Bob for directing me to the link. It was one I had not seen. I tried the fix and it appears to be working.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.