Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista Explorer Hangs/Freezes or does not respond

by adrian6100 / February 17, 2009 2:07 AM PST

When I try to browse through folders and files in the Program Files Folder, Explorer hangs!I have to open Task Manager, end the Explorer process and start it again. I had this problem before with videos but i fixed it. Now, it hangs on folders in The Program Files folder. Can anyone help me correct this?

HP Pavilion desktop, A6150D
Vista Home Basic
Intel Pentium D 1.6GHZ
256MB ATI Radeon X1050

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Explorer Hangs/Freezes or does not respond
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Explorer Hangs/Freezes or does not respond
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Explorer crash/hang
by jtrag / February 17, 2009 2:38 AM PST

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool:

CCleaner -

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar.
It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.
Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner", just use the windows tab up front by default.

Once it completes, exit CCleaner, and then click on your Start Menu in Windows and click on RUN (If on Vista, type CMD in the search box on your start menu and right click CMD.exe (command prompt) then choose "Run as Administrator".

In the command prompt, type the following command:

chkdsk /f c:

The "c:" is your windows installation drive. This is usually c:, but if your's is different, you'll want to change it accordingly in the command above.

What the command above does is schedules a disk check/repair the next time the computer boots.

Now, reboot your computer and try running stuff again and see if explorer still crashes.

Hope this helps Happy If not, let me know and we'll figure it out Happy

Collapse -
In Addition To The Previously Posted Steps..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2009 6:30 AM PST

Please add 1 GB of RAM to the computer.. You'll notice a major difference on Vista, even your Vista basic, if you have 2 GB of RAM.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Steps to prevent computer freezing
by safewaresoft / February 17, 2009 7:07 PM PST

I just searched and found out a few simple steps to prevent computer freezing. Here is the link for you. I thought this to be simple that we can follow.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.