Windows Vista forum

General discussion

vista corrupt registry, wont boot, cant access files

by chlubb / October 29, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

I have a Dell machine with 2 hard drives in a RAID0 array.
Vista indicates a Corrupt Registry through the use of system repair from the cd. It says it cannot repair it.
I have tried accessing it through a Linux livecd but thus far I cannot see the drives although they are there.
The cmd prompt shows me X:\sources and I cannot access C:\ and need to retrieve some files.
System restore, last know config and safe modes do not boot, it just continues to restart showing an error on the primary drive.

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.60.6000.1638
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 1048532
Problem Signature 05: Corrupt Registry
Problem Signature 06: Corrupt Registry
Problem Signature 07: 1009
Problem Signature 08: 3
Problem Signature 09: RollbackRegistry
Problem Signature 10: 0

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista corrupt registry, wont boot, cant access files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista corrupt registry, wont boot, cant access files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2008 1:09 PM PDT

Call Dell and ask how to access that RAID array. DO NOT GUESS HERE.

Collapse -
external drive
by Bob.F / October 30, 2008 9:26 AM PDT

If what your told so far doesn't work and you need data back find someone with an external hard drive case that works as usb. Mount the hard drive inside and have it run on a working simple system using the same file format ntfs etc. . It should be able to open and copy any data files you may need. Hope this helps

Bob.F

Collapse -
wont work with raid0
by chlubb / October 30, 2008 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: external drive

that wont work as this is a Raid0 setup with 1 drive in error and a corrupt registry which means that its not readable unless you can correct the read error. also, you cant split up a raid0 drive set as they both hold the data fragmented, the ultimate downfall of raid0.
i connected them to a linux system and used linux livecd and it would not mount the drives as the primary raid drive has a file system error.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.