Windows Vista

General discussion

Vista compatible printers

by js8425 / June 22, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

Good Morning all,
Does anyone know which printers/brands are compatible with Vista? I have a Lexmark 2330 series and Vista recognizes it as a fax and scanner, but not a printer. Any drivers or work-arounds for this? Thanks, John Smith

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista compatible printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista compatible printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The only way for that to work
by retired / June 22, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

is for Lexmark to update their drivers for vista.

Collapse -
try the latest driver on your printer
by kulfi / June 23, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

try the latest driver on your printer
selvam

Collapse -
PRINGTERS FOR WINDOWS VISTA
by SHEILABYRD / February 15, 2007 4:59 PM PST

I SURE HOPE SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WHAT PRINTER IS COMPATIBLE FOR WINDOW VISTA.. I HAVE TRIED LEXMARK FORGET ABOUT IT... NO GOOD FOR THIS.. WOULD ANYONE KNOW ONE THAT IS COMPATIBLE FOR WINDOWS VISTA ?

Collapse -
NO NEW DRIVERS FOR LEXMARK
by SHEILABYRD / February 15, 2007 5:03 PM PST

THERE IS NO NEW DRIVERS FOR LEXMARK PRINTERS THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOW VISTA

Collapse -
Lexmark has Vista Drivers on their website
by BrodieB / March 20, 2007 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Lexmark does not support Vista
by ericksoa04 / April 4, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

Even though they say they have drivers, they are VERY buggy. On many, if not most systems, they do not work at all.

Highly recommend repurposing your Lexmark printer as a doorstop, or perhaps a paperweight.

Collapse -
No Kidding!
by BungalowMo / February 1, 2009 10:15 PM PST

"Highly recommend repurposing your Lexmark printer as a doorstop, or perhaps a paperweight."

Sounds like the best advice so far. And, of course, I'd just replaced the cartridge when my pc went South.

I sent a "happy-gram" to Lexmark to be sure they knew how I felt. I won't be purchasing another Lexmark....ever.

Collapse -
Lexmark Website Drivers DO NOT Work Either
by rednorsk / April 17, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

I got the Lexmark 1270 free with a laptop I bought from Best Buy. It was overpriced in my opinion. It does not work with Vista. Period. The so-called drivers Lexmark has on their website are phony. You can update the drivers all you want. Lexmark doesn't care. I have read every post out there, called and emailed Lexmark tech support numerous times, contacted Microsoft, Best Buy, been promised a disk that has the Vista drivers on it (which I still haven't received in 4 weeks and from what I've read doesn't work either). I'm fine with forking out the bucks for a new printer that actually WORKS with Vista... but this just demonstrates how much Lexmark cares about their products and customer service. I will NEVER buy or use another Lexmark product again.

Collapse -
Lexmark Drivers Not Compatible with Vista
by rednorsk / April 19, 2007 7:30 AM PDT

To add to my previous post RE: Lexmark Website Drivers DO NOT Work Either:
I finally recieved the disk in the mail from Lexmark that was supposed to have the newest drivers for Vista on it so my x1270 printer would work with my new laptop that runs Vista (32). Just like the disk the printer came with, the new disk only had XP drivers on it! The drivers on their website STILL don't work with Vista.
I have tried EVERY suggestion to remedy this... trust me. Can anyone suggest an All-In-One PSC that works with Vista?

Collapse -
found one that works(not Lexmark)
by sweetboo40 / November 13, 2008 3:57 AM PST

My son has a new vista computer, his printer is an HP Photosmart C3100 series All-in-One. He has no problems with it on vista.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
HP all in one
by srw1958 / May 1, 2010 6:14 PM PDT

We have the c309a - actually the second one - we can't print without spending an hour troubleshooting. Vista has cost me money and untold amounts of time, not to mention the work that just doesn't get accomplished. I hate Vista for setting my computing ability back about 20 years.

Collapse -
f300 series hp printer
by jonathan403 / March 6, 2013 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: HP all in one

the f300 series hp printer works perfectly just plugged in the usb cable and out popped a test page within a minute happy days

Collapse -
printers and vista
by zmatt / December 3, 2008 1:26 AM PST

I Have An Hp Deskjet All In One.... It Was Inexpensive And Works Perfectly With Vista.

(Though I Am Not Crazy About Hp Printers Because Of Past Hardware Problems On More Expensive Hp Devices)

WARNING..
Whenever You Make A Purchase of Software Or Hardware Check For Vista Compatibility
I Had Many Software Issues When I Tried To Use Old Xp software On Vista.
everything from spyware software to obvious hardware issues.

When You Move Up To Vista You Can Expect To Have A Loss In Software And Hardware Compatibility.

Collapse -
my dell and kodak AiO
by chicasuave_84 / May 10, 2010 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: printers and vista

I just wanted to say that I checked out what the requirments were for my printer/scanner/copier and I checked minimum requirements as far as memeory goes, everything looked great as far as compatibility but I was wrong. I couldn't get it to install. I checked my USB cord and port...no luck Sad

Collapse -
LXCZutil.dll file not find for X1270 in Vista
by Gene W. / May 9, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

Can't run the all-in-one utility control panel in Vista even though the shortcut icon is on the desktop. Went to Lexmark, downloaded what was suppose to be the correct driver. I uninstalled the first one reinstalled the new driver same problem. Used a utility program to see what the file names were to see if the missing file (LXCZutil.dll) was in the setup file . It is but either didn't uncompress or who knows where installed. In looking at the info in the driver setup I found the files were all listed as XPsp2 files. I got the printer to print photos by going to <Start><Printers> selecting the printer then right clicking on it and selecting preferences from the list and selecting either "Better" or "Best" to print photos and saving this setting. This would work for me but it's a computer of a friend.

Collapse -
LXCZutil.dll file not found for X1290 in Vista
by menotbug / November 18, 2007 8:36 PM PST

I have a similiar problem, I'm running Vista 64k. I ran installation file downloaded form www.lexmark.com. The printer installation went smooth until I tried to open the all-in-one utility control panel for Lexmark printer. It will just give me the error message LXCZutil.dll file not found for X1290. However, it's printing, but scan and copy features don't work.

I tried to uninstall it completely and remove all entries from registry for Lexmark software (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lexmark and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lexmark).

I was told by tech support to plug the printer directly prior to installation of the software (after previous compete removing of it). When I do so, I had to select manualy the folder on the C:\ drive where all the installation files are automatically extracted. The system will find the proper driver and install the printer, but in the end it comes with the same error message.

Any ideas how to solve this appreciated, before I decide to return the printer and buy a different brand.

Collapse -
Lexmark E120
by 66Nataliee / May 11, 2010 2:21 AM PDT

My Lexmark E120 works like a charm too..

Collapse -
How to get Lexmark Printer to Work With Vista
by snork22 / December 29, 2007 12:53 AM PST

I tried for days to get my freebie Lexmark X1270 to work with my new computer. First of all, you can't use the drivers that they give you on CD with the printer. Go to Lexmark.com and download the proper driver that is Vista compatible. Next *IMPORTANT* disable any virus scan software before you download/install print driver. My Lexmark printer now works with Vista OS just perfectly!

Collapse -
Vista 1270 Drivers from Lexmark
by zaarenoc / January 11, 2008 5:03 AM PST

I have downloaded and installed the driver from the Lexmark site a dozen times and tried to install it. It keeps saying that older versions of that driver have to be removed first. It then offers to uninstall them, then I click OK. It says it uninstalled them and to reboot and click the setup.exe file found in c:\drivers\printer\1200.

I do this and it says the same thing about older drivers still installed. Like an idiot I have done this a dozen times too! The heck of it is that when I first installed the printer it worked fine.

Is there any way that anyone knows about that will let me use the Lexmark 1270 all-in-one with windows vista home premium?

Thanks,

Doug Davis

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvester from picking it up. Also a note to Doug, please cease using signatures with the intent to promote your business, they're considered ads and are prohibited in the forums. Thank you! -Lee Koo CNET Community

Collapse -
Older version of the driver is installed
by Tech Agent / May 30, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

Usually in that case you would have to remove the drivers from the printers folder. To do so you would:
Go to Control Panel then Printers
Right click an open area select Run As Administrator
The click on Server Properties
Go to the drivers tab on the top
Select the Driver causing the issue then click remove

To be safe reboot the computer and try your install again.

Cheers

Collapse -
Removing any reminents of your printer...
by Soul Raven / June 7, 2008 3:31 PM PDT

I'd suggest making a backup of the registry prior to making the following modifications. Also, please note that all the information provided below is reputable information, but it is offered "as is". Thus, should you damage your system I will not be held liable.

If you are having issues installing drivers for printers, most likely you're running into a compatibility issue. There are certain instances where a VISTA driver would not work with said printer, but installing an XP one resolves the issue. Each situation is a case by case, and you'll have to determine that on your own.

=====
TROUBLESHOOTING
=====

OUTLINE:
I am going to walk you through emptying the printer spool folder, removing currently installed printers, and then removing further entries for said printers from the registry. As before all information is provided as-is. So please use it at your own risk.

====================

Emptying the printer spool:
1) Open computer and navigate to the following location:
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers
2) Rename the folder w32x86 to w32x86.old which ensures we retain a backup if necessary.
3) Next navigate to the following location:
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\
4) Rename the folder Printers to Printers.old which as well ensures we retain the information should we need to revert to it.

Uninstalling your printer(s):
1) In the "Start Search" bar type Printers and hit enter
2) Select the printer(s) you wish to remove.
3) Click the Red X with "Remove this printer" next to it.

Opening the Registry Editor:
1) Click Start and type in the "Start Search" bar regedit
2) Hit enter to open the Registry Editor.
3) If you have more than 5 folders in front of you one or more groups is expanded. Collapse these folders until you only see 5.

Locating the registry key:
1) You will be clicking on the little white arrows to expand locations.
2) Now expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3) Now expand SYSTEM
4) Now expand CurrentControlSet
5) Now expand Control
6) Now expand Print
7) Now "Right Click" on Print and select "Export".
Cool Create a name and save it somewhere you will remember, this is your backup registry.

Removing entries from the registry:
1) Now from your current location please expand the following.
2) Now expand Environments
3) Now expand Windows NT x86
4) Now expand Drivers
5) Now expand Version-X (the x will be replaced with a number).
6) Under this Version folder you should find your printer entries. However, there will also be entries from programs such as MS Office, and other programs. Removing the entries pertaining to other programs may cause loss in functionality. Be sure to remove only those folders pertaining to your printers.

Removing entries from the registry:
1) Now collapse the Environments folder found under Print
2) Now expand Printers
3) Again you will have possible entries from MS Office and other programs. Try to remove only those pertaining to your printers.

====================

Now you will want to restart your machine, and attempt installing the printer(s) that you where having problems with. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reply to this thread.

Collapse -
Lexmark Drivers
by rene636 / January 17, 2009 2:00 AM PST

I have a Lexmark All in One 2100 series. I can scan and can only scan every few pictures before having to restart the printer. I downloaded the Vista ready drivers for my printer on the Lexmark site but has not helped.

Collapse -
download driver for Lexmark Z25 for Vista
by notasprettyas / August 31, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

Hello Snork,
I had live chat with Lexmark and they said my (new) printer is not compatible with Vista. How did you do it? I can't find any downloads on Lexmark. thank you so much.....jw

Collapse -
Lexmark Z25
by Gpmrih / December 15, 2009 9:31 PM PST

I have all my hair pulled out at this stage with trying to get my Windows Vista Home Basic Edition; Microsoft 2007 Service Pack 2
It just will not print, anyone had any better luck, or do I just go and waste more money having to buy a suitable compatiable printer

Thanking you in advance

Collapse -
X1270
by Tech Agent / May 30, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

What did you do with the Printer?

Collapse -
Let's face it
by Vistabitch / June 13, 2008 4:11 PM PDT

Vista is a ***** of an operating system.

I've had nothing but TROUBLE.

Everthing my XP could do easily and every printer, camera, and programs I installed that worked beautifully does not work on Vista unless I wrestle with her for days on end and e-mail back and forth for help from vendors.

Vista should be a continuation of ease of use - user friendly - instead she is a *****.

I am currently working on my HP scanner - won't work. It's an all in one - printer, copier, scanner, but won't scan.

I downloaded from HP but then none of it would work. So I unstalled.

Just tired of all the hassle.

I am thinking of cleaning up my XP and bringing her back into service. I'm sure I could swap this Vista ***** for a cat.

Collapse -
Lexmark Can Go To Hell
by mycatsnip / August 21, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

Right on. I plan on mailing my 1270 back to them with the contents of my catbox in it.

Collapse -
Lexmark x1270 Vista problem
by jammenz / January 14, 2009 5:48 AM PST

I've had exactly the same problem for the last two years. The printer was sold as vista ready but came with an xp installer. No one has a solution and I've tried eveything. I now see Lexmark has a free utility download to remove all traces of the xp drivers which are hid in various Vista folders.
Thanks to the Seattle Times for their story on this problem. Because of the publicity Microsoft sent techs who disclosed the hidden xp remnants in Vista.

Collapse -
drivers are no good
by winomied / November 25, 2007 12:30 PM PST

I have been going through this process of downloading the drivers off of the website and they are not Vista compatible,they continue to say they are but it's false. The thing is Vista can only have one driver on a computer,if it downloads another driver it automaticly knocks out the cd rom.I have consulted with Gatewy and Windows, so you will need a whole different brand.

Collapse -
workn vista printer
by nak2000 / February 18, 2007 12:59 PM PST

cannon pixma ip1700 wrks great came wit my desktop.now my laptopp came wit lexmark 1270 cant do crap.good 2 hear its just not my luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.