Windows Vista forum

Question

Vista boot problem, possible hard drive issue?

by deadhorse69 / March 21, 2012 12:48 AM PDT

A friend of mine brought his laptop over the other saying windows wouldn't start. I turned it on and immediately text starting flying down the screen followed by it running some test and then going to the windows startup screen, which shows the loading bar, but never went any further.

My initial though when any one gives me a computer to look at was virus, get to safe mode and go from there, well even though I got to the safe mode selection/start window that wouldn't start either.

Now I tried doing a windows restore but he never created a restore point so then I booted to his vista os disk and was going to do a repair from there but at no point would it see the hard drive. This leads me to believe the hard drive is shot and need replacing but I just thought I'd if anyone has any other ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista boot problem, possible hard drive issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista boot problem, possible hard drive issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
similar symptoms can show up ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

if the optical or floppy drive is non-functional - this can be caused by a bad drive or by a bad (or loose) data cable.

Can you access the computer's BIOS and see if all drives are found?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 1:17 AM PDT

Before you see the Windows startup screen, many (I think hundreds of) files have been read from the hard disk. A corrrupted account, corrupted programs in the windows folder or malware are common causes for not going further than that.

The strange thing is that Vista repair doesn't see the disk. But it certainly isn't shot, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by deadhorse69 / March 21, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive

So any idea what I can try next?

Collapse -
(NT) Alas, no.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
by KenHusveg / March 21, 2012 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

First try the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011
and/or a Linux Live CD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.