Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista black screen with cursor at boot up

by biruot / April 27, 2013 11:52 PM PDT

I have Acer Extensa 4630 with Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 , RAM 3 GB,BIOS version V1.11, 04-Aug-08. I have searched online for a similar problems at boot up but couldn't find any answers. My computer upon booting up displays a black screen with a cursor for a about 2 minutes before getting to the desktop. I tried to boot up in safe mode, still the same problem. I don't have any repair or installation discs to repair or reinstall. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista black screen with cursor at boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista black screen with cursor at boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We've had a few acers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 12:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista black screen with cursor at boot up
by biruot / April 28, 2013 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: We've had a few acers.

I couldn't find any of Acer empowering technology or erecovery management on my system. I have deleted those applications when I bought my computer ! I thought they are useless and just taking more space on the hard disk. Please any other ideas.

Collapse -
Re: erecovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 9:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 11:20 PM PDT

I had this friend that works at a car shop.

"Where's the spare tire?"
-> "I never needed it so I sold it."

Bob

Collapse -
erecovery
by biruot / April 29, 2013 1:52 AM PDT

Yes, I have tried Alt-F10 one, there were to options to start with. 1 st which is recommended by the system, but it doesn't work and doesn't do any thing when I'm selecting it. 2nd is to restart windows normally. When I'm restarting the problem is still the same, as explained before.

Collapse -
Then you'll have to order restore media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: erecovery

Just chalk it up to learning about the new systems where we must create our own. These run from 35 to 50 bucks and far cheaper than any repair counter.

Bob

Collapse -
erecovery
by biruot / April 29, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

Please can you say it in other words, I don't get what you mean by "Just chalk it up to learning about the new systems where we must create our own".

Thanks

Collapse -
In other words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: erecovery

You'll have to order the restore media. I can't guess if they have a download, some do, most don't.

Thanks for sharing you deleted the recovery system. It makes it clear that the usual fixes don't apply.
Bob

Collapse -
erecovery
by biruot / April 29, 2013 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: In other words.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. Please if somebody has the download link or vista recovery disk and want to share it will be much appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.