Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista and HP networkable All-in-one printers

by HitDoctorMD / February 7, 2007 8:31 AM PST

I have New Vista loaded PC coming and wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with vista and any particular networked all in one. I have a PSC 3300 but it seems that it is not on the Hardware Compatible list. Any success and model numbers would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista and HP networkable All-in-one printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista and HP networkable All-in-one printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
vista and hp all in ones
by wasartjr / February 9, 2007 9:10 PM PST

I have vista home premium and have the same problem. I can print but I cannot scan and HP support has not been able to get it to work. My sense id that HP has not got their act together. I have a photosmart 3210.

Collapse -
i cant print anything with new vista
by drod107 / October 20, 2007 2:41 PM PDT

i just got a new hp pc and a new hp c3180 all in one. i went to the hp download site for drivers and installed it. i still cant print anything. when i hit the print button another box pops up and asked me to save it. (xps or something) i dont know what this means. i need help.

Collapse -
HP Photosmart C5180
by rlewien / October 20, 2007 7:56 PM PDT

I have a HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One printer, copier and scanner. It does appear that HP does not supply good drivers and software for any of their different printers for Vista.

I bought an HP computer and the C5180 from a major retailor. It was listed as compatible. HP computer pre-loaded with Vista with a listed compatible printer. The first thing I found was a MHTML file that stated some functions would not work with Vista. What a rip off.

I tried the latest software and drivers for my model. Not only did they not make my model fully functional they caused more problems then they solved. I contacted HP and they suggested I try the same thing. After repeated attempts I gave up and resolved to never again use HP add on products.

On one such similar problem they suggested to to back up my data and re-install the OS. I just un-installed one of their updates instead.

My point is HP doesn't seem to concerned with making their products FULLY functional with Vista in my opinion.

I'm back to the basics. Lower dpi scanning in Vista and still no scan button support for Vista. AIO is not the answer.

HP is the problem not the soulution.

Collapse -
No offense meant. "Newbies"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

Today's new owners forget that scanners have rarely been networked and when they were you paid dearly for the feature. Printers have been networked for years but to get scanner and the other ALL IN ONE features on the network and secure as well may take years.

When I read some posts I wonder if the owner has been around long.

I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings but do see a crop of new owners that missed out on the past few decades of how things work.

Bob

Collapse -
None taken but
by rlewien / October 21, 2007 8:42 PM PDT

Although the original poster mentioned networking he/she also seemed to be asking about HP all-in-one issues in general and Vista compatibility. Networking, scanning, copying and printing can have seperate and integrated issues to varying degrees. This may not just be a scanner networking general query.

In my case I downloaded and installed the additional bundled software per HP's advice while trying to get the scanner to scan at the dpi level advertized for the unit. Neither Vista or HP had drivers that worked unless I installed the package. Low resolution scanning worked fine as well as the copying and printinting features. I rarely need such high scanning options but it should have worked as advertized since it was sold by an HP distributor as Vista compatible.

The downloaded AIO did allow higher resolution when scanning but caused other NON-NETWORKING issues. My computer is not networked. There is also the issue of the scan button on the printer not working with Vista. It does work with pre-Vista. Again not a network issue but a driver issue with Vista.

Taken from the MHTML file from the unit software found after the purchase......

HP Printers - The Scan Button on the Printer Does Not Work Correctly When the Printer is Connected to a Windows Vista Computer

Issue
When the scan button is pressed on the printer, nothing happens. The scan button does not work correctly.

Solution
Scan documents using Windows Fax and Scanning or Paint.

Cause
The drivers in the Windows Vista operating system do not support button press functionality on the printer. END EXERPT.

Button functionality. DPI resolution. There are driver issues with some of the HP units and Vista. Not just networking issues.

In my opinion these issues should have been fully disclosed prior to purchase or functional Vista drivers should be an option. Therefore I offer the warning that Vista may have issues with this and other software and hardware.

I only speak of non-networking issues but either way a unit should work as advertized or sold. My comments are based on my personal experience with one unit in this particular situation. After all Vista is fairly new to most of us.

Good luck original poster with whatever you choose to purchase.

Collapse -
This one works fine
by Dango517 / October 21, 2007 12:38 AM PDT

HP all-in-one C4180 Photosmart. Fully functional, drivers, prints (including photos <<<< could be why they call it PHOTOsmart Mischief ), scans. No problems (knock on wood). Network printing available but have never used this feature. I have no need for it to date. Purchased 12-24-06. Nice printer.

Collapse -
hp c6180 all in one...
by bklynrickel / October 21, 2007 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: This one works fine

works fine on a mixed network with vista. sometimes the printer defaults to offline by itself and then i have to un click it. fairly minor issue.

Collapse -
HP Photosmart C5180
by missymissy / February 21, 2009 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: This one works fine

hi I'm new to this forum, I too have the HP C5180 and I have had nothing but trouble since day one! I have an Acer Pc vista home premium, netgear router (new at xmas to try and sort this problem out) and virgin media internet. I bought the printer in june last year and because it didn't seem happy on a 5year old pc running XP so in august i bought the acer. still no joy the printer kept disappearing error message was "no HP devices have been detected". I contacted HP via email and two solutions were offered, which I tried to no avail, then I made a 20 minute phonecall to tech support (premium rate!) which was a total waste of my time and money, and still the darn thing won't work, I have managed to get the printer to stop disappearing but now it has set itself offline and no matter what I do I cannot change it. I really wish I had never purchased it. My siter has exactly the same one bought a week later she has the same set-up as me Acer, netgear, virgin media and she has no trouble whatsoever, I don't understand it. I wonder what my rights are regarding sending it back to the retailer and getting a refund?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.