Windows Vista

General discussion

Vista 64 Bit - Antivirus cannot find update server

by ozyman4269 / August 7, 2008 6:54 PM PDT

I don't know if this is a OS problem or a software problem so I'm putting it in the Virus forum and the Vista forum.

This one that has me completely boondoggled.

On my recent trip back to the states I got my wife a nice new compact Dell XPS 1330 laptop.

I didn't know it at the time but it's a 64 bit version of Win Vista home premium SP1. (This may or may not be the key to my problems, the 64 bit part)

It came preloaded with Norton internet security for a month so I went ahead and turned the crap-ware on and figured I'd use it until I did all the updates the machine needed and then switch it over to Avast.

Internet works fine, windows update works fine. Norton and windows defender cannot find their respective up date servers.

Time passes and last night I removed Norton, updated windows defender (can update now) and then through on Avast.

After reboot I can not get IE to load a web page, but Outlook works (can send/receive) and Avast cannot update itself / cannot find server.

Strange.... I try turning off the "Web Shield" module of AVG and now IE can load pages but still Avast cannot connect to update it self.
I go to the avast help/support/FAQs and add every thing that I can as an exception to windows firewall but still can not connect to update server.

I then remove Avast and place AVG on the Machine.
Same problem: Can load web pages but cannot reach Anti-virus update server to update definitions/program.

I do the firewall safety dance again and still no dice.

I remove AVG and try Anti-Vir
Same problem again?????

I give up and go to bed

All Anti-virus's that I tried stated that they were Vista 64 bit compliment and I DL'ed them from their own home pages.

Anybody have any clue what's going on or how to correct it??? How do I get my Antivirus to update it self when the preloaded one couldn't do it??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista 64 Bit - Antivirus cannot find update server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista 64 Bit - Antivirus cannot find update server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much help
by Jimmy Greystone / August 8, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

While not much help, the fact that several AV programs are experiencing exactly the same problem suggests you have a configuration issue somewhere.

I can't really help you pinpoint where exactly, but if you need to enter in any special proxy settings to make a web browser work, then those same settings need to be applied to the AV program's update manager. You should also check the HOSTS file to make sure some malware didn't somehow slip through, inset a bunch of entries blocking the most common AV update servers.

I can say that your running Vista x64 has NOTHING to do with this. I'm running Avast on Vista x64 right now, and have been since I got this system, without any issues.

Finally, I will say that Internet Explorer is wildly unsafe for any kind of regular use, and Outlook isn't exactly a wise move either. You really should replace those with something else. IE can be replaced with Firefox, Seamonkey, Flock, Opera, or Safari. Outlook can be replaced with a few dozen different email programs, and if you need the calendaring function, there's always Mozilla Sunbird/Lightening, Google Calendar, and probably quite a few others.

Collapse -
Have you run SymNRT?
by John.Wilkinson / August 8, 2008 2:25 PM PDT
SymNRT removes the remnants of Symentac security software that may be left behind, causing issues such as this, after a successful/unsuccessful uninstallation. Download/run that, reboot, make sure Symentec does not have anything left still running in the background (check Task Manager's Processes and Services tabs), then try again.

John
Collapse -
Norton 360 2 Vista sp1 64 bit no windows update 0x80072efd
by estr1ng / August 10, 2008 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you run SymNRT?

yes and even the master tech worked on my computer. It runs great but the only why I can get windows update to work is with windows firewall on so I know Norton 360 is causing problem. Note I seen somewhere they found out 2008 and 2007 doesn't undate either. Hoping they come out with patch. There is 15,000 update I really don't want to go through. I really woul not care but I do alot of money on internet and don't want to get hacked. I saw were thay had a major problem with micosoft and can't get the fix.

Collapse -
Are you ozyman4269?
by John.Wilkinson / August 12, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

Specific to your post:
-> "Master tech" of what company?
-> Are you saying that when you turn Windows Firewall on you can download updates but when you turn it off you cannot?
-> Windows Update does not currently have 15,000 updates available...are you referring to Norton 360 virus definitions?

John

Collapse -
Can't find update server
by beelia / October 26, 2008 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you ozyman4269?

I have had the same "cannot find update server" problem on several different products.

I am on Vista 64-bit Ultimate on HP Pavilion tablet notebook [tx1000]. Have never been able to update anything using this computer.
When IE7 (64-bit) can't find the servers, clicking "Diagnose Connection" says "no problem found with your connection."

No problem with email or surfing. Can connect directly to Belkin router without a problem; MAC address is found easily. Other computers on the same network do not have this problem.

Google updater - cannot find server.
Avast wouldn't update - returned an Error indicating server wasn't found.
McAfee won't update - "No Internet Connection".
HP Update won't run, says "Internet Connection Required."

Norton was previously installed and uninstalled; because it leaves debris behind, Norton Remove Tool was used to delete everything after uninstalling.

All antivirus products were completely uninstalled before a new one was installed.

No firewalls are installed except for the Windows firewall. Turning firewall off had no affect. Adding exceptions had no affect.

ActiveX control for HP remote tech support will not install. Reset to default levels didn't work. Opening all ActiveX settings to unsafe levels didn't work.

I have found a few other instances of this problem by Googling. Besides Vista, there are some Mac posts.

Microsoft knowledgebase has nothing relevant. Contacted Windows BBS and several other Windows-oriented tech support sites without finding a resolution.

Any ideas for pursuing this problem further would be most appreciated.

Collapse -
What happens when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 12:23 PM PDT

You use the machine's restore DVDs? It does look like a software issue but the clue to where it is, is not in your post.

Collapse -
Can't find update server
by beelia / October 27, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

Yes, I restored all of the original software. No change.

Also ran Windows Update successfully. It is the only update that ran without a problem.

But I really do appreciate your applying your brain to the problem and making suggestions.

Collapse -
Windows update Norton 360-2 with Vista 64 sp1 Home
by estr1ng / October 26, 2008 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you ozyman4269?

1)No I am not ozyman4269, why would you ask such a question? 2) Tech was from Norton. I had complained so many times the transfered me to the master tech and they made my machine rock!! 3) Yes I turned of Norton 360 firewall turned on windows firewall went to windows update and everything worked, but when I am back useing norton firewall I get no updates with an error code. The Norton updates find. 4) I downloaded a new file from microsolf other day and noticed I got an update!!! I had to put update in myself so the problem I think is partly fixed!!! If I try to check for updates it will give me the same error code. I wonder if others are getting updates but have to install themselfs?

Collapse -
Possible Workaround?
by it_chiky / November 20, 2008 5:33 AM PST

hey i was having the same problem, i only have the 32 bit version of home premium but it was a new laptop i bought for my boyfriend, had norton trial installed previously. I downloaded AVG free 8.0 and from the word go it wouldnt update. first error was invalid ctf file, or something similar, so i deleted the 2 .ctf files in the download folder of AVG. it updated fine. next update simply said no connection to be found. I work as a technical support consultant for the largest ISP in Australia... i think i would know if my internet was down and furthermore, how to fix it. so i deleted the 2 .ctf files again and it updated fine. not sure if i would have to do this ever update but hey, a workaround is better than nothing Happy even if it is just for AVG.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.